What's new

Any Kava drinkers here?

Legion

Staff member
In an effort to reduce the booze intake a bit (and consume a few less calories) I decided to order some kava to try out. The taste is... not too unpleasant mixed with water. It would probably be nicer mixed with coconut water or something like that.

I've only tried it once so far, and just a small dose, so the "buzz" is mild, or even a placebo effect possibly. I might have another glass...

Anyone here into it who might have recommendations for getting the most from it?

IMG_8125.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Interesting! It affects the central nervous system so it says. A depressant. So probably just mellows you out?
I think I’ll have to try it. I’m in for a legal buzz :letterk1:

Legion

Staff member
Interesting! It affects the central nervous system so it says. A depressant. So probably just mellows you out?
I think I’ll have to try it. I’m in for a legal buzz :letterk1:
The effects seem pretty subtle. It's kind of relaxing, but it's not like getting drunk or high. You don't really feel impaired in any way.

I’ve tried it once on holiday in Fiji. From memory it looks and tastes a bit like muddy water. It’s culturally import in Fiji and often given to guests as you would offer a cup of tea or beer to a house guest in the west. Personally it didn’t do anything for me but I would drink it to be polite. The Fijian boys drank it in large quantities for hours out of coconut shells. I think you have to have a lot of it.

Just stay off the Papua New Guinean Betel nut!

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I’ve tried it once on holiday in Fiji. From memory it looks and tastes a bit like muddy water. It’s culturally import in Fiji and often given to guests as you would offer a cup of tea or beer to a house guest in the west. Personally it didn’t do anything for me but I would drink it to be polite. The Fijian boys drank it in large quantities for hours out of coconut shells. I think you have to have a lot of it.

Just stay off the Papua New Guinean Betel nut!
Ha. I'm prepared to spit red juice wherever if I can find some of that locally to try. And I need some coco leaves to chew.

I was going to joke that at least it's less messy than betel. Kava was somewhat controlled in Australia, but they lifted it, betel nut is still not allowed (even though you can find it at Indian shops).

Eben Stone

Staff member
A true story...

When my wife was working to become a travel agent, she won a Fiji cruise on a small yacht at a travel convention. All we had to pay is the flight there and back.

Everyone that worked on the boat was technically a local, but one of the deck hands was from an island that hadn't been fully modernized. One of the perks of this cruise was spending a day on the island and meet the locals and their chief.

We had to have a briefing before we were allowed to meet the locals. We had to bring an offering and present it to the chief as "an appology in advance" in case we knowingly or unknowingly break one of their rules. The guy literally told us if we **** off the chief he'll tell us to run for the boat. Silence. We all thought he was being serious. Then he laughed and I'm like geesh that wasn't cool.

Then he told us that the tribesmen would be making Kava and that if the chief offered you some you better drink it. He said he was being serious. And this time he didn't laugh.

So we visit the island. We meet the chief, the tribesmen were making Kava in some huge stone pot, and the women were weaving baskets. The chief had a house, maybe made out of adobe, but everyone else lived in huts.

So one of other passengers was selected to give the chief our offering.

The chief offers everyone the Kava. It tasted like dirty water.

Then out of nowhere the chief pointed at me and said "you're having more." Holy crap. I'm like what the heck is going on. Why me? What did I do? I was kinda worried this stuff would make me pass out and I would wake up being served as dinner.

I ended up drinking two servings. Each about the size of a large coffee cup. The stuff was thick, somewhere between coffee and mud. This was the real deal.

Anyways, the stuff didn't really seem to do anything at all. It didn't make me high or hallucinate or even feel weird. Maybe I didn't drink enough. Maybe I was too paranoid to notice.

The chief wasn't very talkative. But I chatted a little with one of the tribesmen. He had been to the USA but I don't remember where. I was surprised. But then he started telling me about all these places in USA he wanted to go to. And I'm like dude, where do you hear about all this? You dont even have electricity here... 🏝️

About a decade ago my sister worked in Fiji for a year or so, she came back for Christmas and brought a small sack of the stuff. And so on Christmas Eve the whole extended family (including my 90 y/o gran) sat around on the living room floor whilst Chloe conducted a kava ceremony…

It was bloody disgusting, and I got nothing from it. Everybody else thought it was kooky though.

Much later, after the rest of them had gone to bed, her and I went down into some of the weird old tunnels underneath our house and did ‘CK’s* til about 4am. And that certainly has a bit of a kick.

Probably the best Christmas Eve / Day ever.

* Google it if you want. I imagine I’d be contravening forum rules if I explained!

Last edited:
A few years back I ordered some from the Kona Kava Farm in Hawaii. it was the dry ground root. You soak it for a while and put it in a bag to strain out the liquid. It has a numbing effect in your mouth and a mellow buzz. I drank it a few times but wasn’t really my thing. I was reading a lot about the South Pacific at the time so I thought I would try it.

Top Bottom