What's new

Another Tabac convert

Tabac is one of my favorites. It lathered like a champ for me, and I (despite being in my 30s) actually like the scent.

Once I got a water softener I felt like the lather was exploding right off the puck. MWF lathered just a touch better for me pre water softener, but after having my water softened they appear equal (perhaps an edge to the Tabac) and I prefer the scent. The Tabac AS pairs well with it too (unsurprisingly).

The lather is great when just building it with a wet brush. I don't even need to wet or bloom the puck. If you bowl lather after reaching a peak on the brush when building the lather, and add about 2 more drops of water, the lather really explodes.

Would you agree that the Tabac aftershave lasts on the skin for about 2 hours? I find that the cologne projects for about 2 hours
and stays on the skin for about 5 hours.

I haven't found the need to bloom any of my favorite soaps.

I'm not sure how long the AS lingers. 2 hours sounds right. Will use it tomorrow and ask the wife to help me time it.

I felt I could detect some mild scent for 30 min to an hour for the AS. My wife could still faintly smell it when quite close for a little over two hours.

Basically what I expect out of an AS.

I feel the cologne has a similar (but not the same) longer lasting scent. The EdT is clearly in the same family but is even more different.

I felt I could detect some mild scent for 30 min to an hour for the AS. My wife could still faintly smell it when quite close for a little over two hours.

Basically what I expect out of an AS.

I feel the cologne has a similar (but not the same) longer lasting scent. The EdT is clearly in the same family but is even more different.

The representative form Quality Fragrances (Tabac US Distributor told me that 2 hours projection and 5 hours on the skin is about right for Tabac cologne. I should think the Edt lasts even longer with even stronger projection.

I just got my first tabac soap bowl and used it last night. The stuff does work well...the scent is a bit weird...kinda powdery in an old fashioned way.

Too bad they don't make a citrus scent instead.

The glass bowl is pretty cool too.

Every shave I've had with this stuff seems better than the last. I'm getting better at lathering it. I'm not sure I've achieved optimal slickness, but it seems protective.

The smell is growing on me. But it'll never be my favorite. I think. :blink:

Big ol' box from Perfumania on the porch today ...

I had one on my porch last night as well. Not too big, just two Tabac bowls, double boxed.

It's interesting that the Tabac in the bowl has a top piece of foil but that's it: it's not the refill puck inside a bowl. I kind of expected the puck to sit a bit lower in the bowl.

I had one on my porch last night as well. Not too big, just two Tabac bowls, double boxed. It's interesting that the Tabac in the bowl has a top piece of foil but that's it: it's not the refill puck inside a bowl. I kind of expected the puck to sit a bit lower in the bowl.

It took me a few shaves with it to realize I can push the soap down in the bowl about a half inch. I usually build the lather over my Dollar Tree shaving mug so the excess soap flows into it. After theres a peak on the brush, I have to make a personal executive decision whether to add a few drops of water and continue lathering in the mug, or to face lather.

I bought a few bowls and I don't want to loosen the tin foil, but I'd like to know if anyone else who bought a few bowls tried to remove a new puck so the other bowl could be used for refill pucks of other brands? As I've stated before, those ceramic bowls are terrific and at these prices, I don't know why anyone would go for a refill rather than a bowl for the extra $2.

I love it. Just got it a few weeks ago and have been using it quite a lot. I'm not not convinced it's what I'll reach for on muggy summer days in the Midwest, but it's a delicious, warming scent.

It took me a few shaves with it to realize I can push the soap down in the bowl about a half inch. I usually build the lather over my Dollar Tree shaving mug so the excess soap flows into it. After theres a peak on the brush, I have to make a personal executive decision whether to add a few drops of water and continue lathering in the mug, or to face lather.

I bought a few bowls and I don't want to loosen the tin foil, but I'd like to know if anyone else who bought a few bowls tried to remove a new puck so the other bowl could be used for refill pucks of other brands? As I've stated before, those ceramic bowls are terrific and at these prices, I don't know why anyone would go for a refill rather than a bowl for the extra $2.

First thing I did was pop the puck out of the bowl. It came right out. The foil is just a loose cover on the top to prevent the top of the puck hitting the lid in shipping. I too am looking forward to using this bowl for other soaps in the future. Best feature of the bowl is 4 "buttresses" on the inner wall to hold the puck in place to prevent it spinning while loading a brush. It is these that the puck sits on until wedged down into them forming indents on the bottom/sides of it.

First thing I did was pop the puck out of the bowl. It came right out. The foil is just a loose cover on the top to prevent the top of the puck hitting the lid in shipping. I too am looking forward to using this bowl for other soaps in the future. Best feature of the bowl is 4 "buttresses" on the inner wall to hold the puck in place to prevent it spinning while loading a brush. It is these that the puck sits on until wedged down into them forming indents on the bottom/sides of it.
Yup, same thing, just fell out when I turned it over.

I have some Stirling samples and they seem to be exactly the same diameter as the Tabac puck and slip right in. In fact, the sample fit on top of the foil and came flush with the top of the bowl.

I too am looking forward to using this bowl for other soaps in the future. Best feature of the bowl is 4 "buttresses" on the inner wall to hold the puck in place to prevent it spinning while loading a brush. It is these that the puck sits on until wedged down into them forming indents on the bottom/sides of it.

Yup, same thing, just fell out when I turned it over. I have some Stirling samples and they seem to be exactly the same diameter as the Tabac puck and slip right in.

You guys are making me think I should have bought 10 bowls rather than just 4! There was a 20% discount with free shipping last week. It that bowl with puck goes down to $8 or $8.50 again, I'm in for a few more!

Thanks for this, worked great!

You're quite welcome I just took my 5th shave or so using Tabac and the lather was incredible. Each time I'm getting more experienced with the soap. There's no need to bloom it. A wet brush that's been soaking for 10 minutes is enough and I don't think I needed to load it for more than 20 seconds. I added a few drops of water to bowl lather and had more than enough for 3 passes plus 2 touch up passes.

It's a great performer and I like the scent. If you don't like it - take comfort in knowing that it doesn't last forever and you can always mute it with either a post shave alum block pass or a witch hazel splash.

Believe me when I say it doesn't smell bad. I went to Cuba last November and Havana smells BAD.

Top Bottom