What's new

Another reevaluation of GTF Eucris Soap

I must have been smoking my breakfast, which isn't legal just yet in Canada :001_rolle, but I decided to give another shot to one of my worst soap, GTF Eucris, to see if I could get something going with it.

I decided right away that I would shave with whatever I got and to withhold judgement on the look of the lather till I used it. I decided to use a very wet silvertip badger brush and lather like I hated it. I got the usual results but went to a face lather and tried to work the fluffy lather into something a little more respectable. It because a bit creamier but never really achieved the yogurt look I wanted, but I decided to go for the shave. The lather was thin but well hydrated and it was actually surprisingly slick and protective despite the ugly appearance.

Second pass the lather appeared to almost disappear halfway through, and on other soaps I have used this would have meant a horrible shave, but instead the soap acted much like Cremo. It was still very slick and protective and I had no issues at all. It was actually a really good shave! :blink:

Only real issue as expected was that the post shave was on the drying side since this is a palmate based soap with no real moisturizers to compensate. Overall, I think this is now a soap that will be in my rotation, on the low side, and I might even buy another puck of this base, but I still think the creams are better so it's unlikely that I'll go out of my way except to buy a puck over the cream, but one day I might just try another since the price is much better than the creams and they last a lot longer.

In any event, I realized now that sometimes you have to just shave rather than worry about the esthetics of the lather appearance. It was actually an amazing shave that I would rank up there with some of the best except for the post shave feel.

Glad it worked out for you. I love the Eucris cream, but I have shied away from buying the soap because it gets a bad rap. Maybe I'll give the soap a shot when my cream is gone.

Don't do it. Absolutely the worst soap I ever bought. Modern Williams lathers like Tabac compared to that stuff. I love the scent so opted to purchase the cologne and use that after shaving for fragrance.

My puck of Eucris is almost gone, just a ring is left in the bowl. I still have a puck of Violet going.

For me the GFT soaps are great. I get very good lather from them, and I enjoy the scents. I will be replacing them.

They do have a narrow window of how much water to use, and what temperature; so it may take some trial and error to get it right.

my eucris lathered just fine, totally enjoyed the scent as well!

eucris-lather-feb-2018.gif

My puck of Eucris is almost gone, just a ring is left in the bowl. I still have a puck of Violet going.

For me the GFT soaps are great. I get very good lather from them, and I enjoy the scents. I will be replacing them.

They do have a narrow window of how much water to use, and what temperature; so it may take some trial and error to get it right.

I'm really starting to appreciate this soap much more. Still an ugly lather but the performance is really amazing when you get it dialed in. This might just be the slickest soap I have.

Don't do it. Absolutely the worst soap I ever bought. Modern Williams lathers like Tabac compared to that stuff. I love the scent so opted to purchase the cologne and use that after shaving for fragrance.

I thought the same thing for along time and I hated it but now I actually really like the soap once I figured it out. I don't think I would recommend it to others unless they have a lot of patience, but for those who can figure it out, it really is worth it IME, but you do have to get past the appearance of the lather.

Glad it worked out for you. I love the Eucris cream, but I have shied away from buying the soap because it gets a bad rap. Maybe I'll give the soap a shot when my cream is gone.

The cream is a lot easier to lather that's for sure, but I find the soap to be a better performer now. I also find TOBS soap to be superior to the TOBS cream, but it's a lot easier to lather than the GFT soap. I would just say that when you start, soak the puck in hot water for at least 5 mins and puck lather for a min or two before going to your face. I find this makes the lather really work. It also takes quite a bit of water.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
...They do have a narrow window of how much water to use, and what temperature; so it may take some trial and error to get it right.

...I would just say that when you start, soak the puck in hot water for at least 5 mins and puck lather for a min or two before going to your face. I find this makes the lather really work. It also takes quite a bit of water.

Narrow water window, temperature sensitive, and 6-7 minutes to create lather??? No thanks, I'll stay away...

Narrow water window, temperature sensitive, and 6-7 minutes to create lather??? No thanks, I'll stay away...

I don't find it that narrow in water or temperature and I soak a lot of my pucks for that time, but once again, I wouldn't recommend it to most people unless they are patient with learning the lather technique for this soap.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I don't find it that narrow in water or temperature and I soak a lot of my pucks for that time, but once again, I wouldn't recommend it to most people unless they are patient with learning the lather technique for this soap.

I'm at the point where if a soap doesn't lather within seconds (literally) or has subpar performance, I move on. Way to many soaps out there that just work for me to mess around. Yes, I can be impatient, and lazy...

I'm at the point where if a soap doesn't lather within seconds (literally) or has subpar performance, I move on. Way to many soaps out there that just work for me to mess around. Yes, I can be impatient, and lazy...

Nothing wrong with that, I just have odd hobbies lol.

+1! Took me awhile to get to essentially the same place! So many soaps, so little time!

As a display of my abysmal ignorance, I confess I have no idea what GTF is or what it stands for. But I can speculate...how about Great Tamales Fred! Or Get the Flock (outa here).

Last edited:
Top Bottom