What's new

Another newbie to add to the list

Hi all,

Long time lurker but first time poster (just registered) :biggrin:

I've been fed up with my shaves for quite a while now. Been using the various Gillette cartridges, Mach3s, Fusions. Shaving was always a chore though (I shave every day, both chin and head), so I decided to have a look to see if there were steps I could take to improve matters, which is when I stumbled across this fantastic site and forum.

I've spent quite a while reading up on the advantages of DE shaving and it started to appeal. I came across LeisureGuy's shaveblog and Mantic's videos, both of which are fantastic. I read reviews of postings and read postings. Last week I was ready, the time had come to order some stock.

So, first of all I ordered a Merkur HD and some Taylor's creams, Rose and Avocado, as well as an Edwin Jagger super badger brush. I topped it off with some Proraso pre and post shave cream.

The items came in the mail, so next day I approached the sink with trepidation. After years if shaving with multi-blade cartridges, I was now in control of my own well being, could I follow the guidelines and keep myself from cutting my face to bits? OK, follow the pre-shave prep. Hot water, warm that face up, nice warm brush. On goes the lather, courtesy of the Avocado, here comes the razor...

Twenty minutes later I finished with a superb shave. Not perfect, I didn't expect that on my first time, but pretty damn close and only one or two small nicks, nothing painful or anything to worry about.

Over the last few days I've added to my stock (got some more creams, the Taylor St James and T&H Almond, with the T&H Limes due tomorrow...think that will do for now) and have started using Wilkinson Sword blades in my Merkur. I was going to order LetterK's sample, but the Wilkinson's are giving me the most superb and comfortable shave right now that I'm more than happy sticking with them.

Today I had a shave which was smooth, comfortable, no nicks and ended up with me being able to rub my hand over my face and not feel any stubble at all, and didn't it feel good. I'd even gone with three passes, including ATG!! I felt pampered, I felt like a king.

Badger and Blade, and all who contribute to the site and forum, with postings info and videos, I salute you :001_wub:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Salute returned! :thumbup1:

Keep us posted on your progress, and how the various creams work for you!

Bill, great first post. Your experience sounds amazing. Glad to have you aboard. Will look for you on the board.:taz:

Welcome, Bill. When that first good shave comes in, the cartridge world becomes a dim, painful memory! :biggrin: No point in switching blades if you are happy with the ones you got.

That's terrific. You have done an excellent job of preparing yourself, and you have quite a nice kit now. It just gets better and better. And thanks for the mention. :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I really wished that I'd looked into this before, but am just glad that I've joined the fold now. I never knew that shaving could turn out to be such an enjoyable experience. She who must be obeyed has already said that she's noticed that my skin is looking better, and I now realising that, for all this tme, I just wasn't shaving 'properly'. Huge eye opener. I'd urge anybody else who is lurking these boards and thinking of taking the plunge to just go ahead and give it a go, you won't regret it.

Looking forward to spending lots of time on the forum here too. :smile:

WOW
cool man :biggrin:
Always nice to hear such good stories!
I hope you do continue using DE and maybe even Str8 razors
Hope to hear from you soon
Please update us with all that you are getting:smile:

Top Bottom