What's new

Another new user from London.

Greetings all,

After years of alternating back and forth between a beard down to my chest and clean shaven and everything in between, I'm back to clean shaven. When I started out shaving out of necessity in my teens, it was with the Mach 3 handle that had been given out years before at a major train station. I used the Mach 3's various incarnation until the Fusion came along and I could feel it tearing my face up, but hey - I was getting a clean shave during the years I needed one promptly and without much effort.

I've played with a Dovo straight razor in past years - by "play with", I mean I used mine maybe twice, and a friend's once.

I like my Trumper products. I only got seriously interested in DE safety razors in recent years.

In recent years, the habit used to be that the beard would be allowed to grow wildly (with occassional taming) until Christmas and then visiting the better half's family in on the Contintent. One year, I spotted a Wilkinson razor and German made blades in the pharmacy while we were there, and gave it a try. I liked it. And now I'm back to it every day or every other day, I'm sold.

I'm trying to acquire some older blades (the various versions of the Wilkinsons made in England are going to be a challenge) and see how I get along.

Look forward to learning what I can about the history of the blades, and how to use them, as time goes by.

Welcome to B&B. Many of the vintage English Wilkinson Sword blades are very good — sharp, smooth and long lasting, with particular emphasis on the latter quality. I have to say that the ones from the 1970s and early 80s are the best to my way of thinking, with later ones being a bit more average. There are a few other good vintage blades around that were made in the UK, including a couple from Scotland that are very nice.
However, I don't believe any of them will radically change your shaving experience. They're just very good blades, and there are quite a lot of these made around the world these days. The modern ones might not last as long as vintage WS blades (or some old Gillettes, Schicks and Personnas) but other than that they're not that different in terms of how they're used or end results.

Top Bottom