What's new

Another great shave with Stone Cottage Cream

What a day, my samples arrives today, along with other stuff, a Flare tip SS and a Fatboy. Plus an email from Glyder that I won their 50 Father's day giveaway gift packs:shaving:

Initial scents, Coconut Sandalwood is amazing, will try it soon.
You know, I got a free sample from another retailer of coconut sandlewood bath soap. My wife took it. It smells great. I guess I have to try Stone Cottage version since everyone seems to rave about it.

I just tried a few samples of them and was not all that impressed. I found the scents quite unnatural and WAY WAY too overbearing. Their performance was meh.....ok...but...nothing special...YMMV of course..I tried the coconut holiday, bay lime, hepseride, veviter and vanilla and almond flower. Razor was a OneBlade v2

I just tried a few samples of them and was not all that impressed. I found the scents quite unnatural and WAY WAY too overbearing. Their performance was meh.....ok...but...nothing special...YMMV of course..I tried the coconut holiday, bay lime, hepseride, veviter and vanilla and almond flower. Razor was a OneBlade v2
Well that's new.

Well that's new.
I'm surprised, too. The scents were "beefed up" because we (B&B members) thought they were too weak.
So, Dave increased the scent strength. I happen to like the new scents and the performance, as well.
So, I guess it's true - YMMV.
I have the following tubs of SC and am pleased with them all:
Almond Flower (old scent), Hesperide, Cedre Noir, & Vanilla & Veviter.
I will be ordering Leather & Smoke in the future.
@frenchy, sorry you were not happy with SC. It's a personal taste, I guess.
Don't know if you tried Captain's Choice (Bay Rum or 45th Parallel) (CC has samples)
or SJOL creams (I like the SJOL Sandalwood & Begamot) Not sure about the samples, maybe Maggards)
Anyway, wishing you a happy shave, whatever you choose.
Mikey

I'm surprised, too. The scents were "beefed up" because we (B&B members) thought they were too weak.
So, Dave increased the scent strength. I happen to like the new scents and the performance, as well.
So, I guess it's true - YMMV.
I have the following tubs of SC and am pleased with them all:
Almond Flower (old scent), Hesperide, Cedre Noir, & Vanilla & Veviter.
I will be ordering Leather & Smoke in the future.
@frenchy, sorry you were not happy with SC. It's a personal taste, I guess.
Don't know if you tried Captain's Choice (Bay Rum or 45th Parallel) (CC has samples)
or SJOL creams (I like the SJOL Sandalwood & Begamot) Not sure about the samples, maybe Maggards)
Anyway, wishing you a happy shave, whatever you choose.
Mikey

One thing I've learned about this wet shaving thing is all creams and soaps perform differently for different people. That's why we have a zillion choices...It's all YMMV...

I just tried a few samples of them and was not all that impressed. I found the scents quite unnatural and WAY WAY too overbearing. Their performance was meh.....ok...but...nothing special...

This. The creams don't perform for me as well as many soaps and creams I use. I do have hard water, and wonder if that impacts the performance. Frenchy, do you have hard water?

Regarding the almond flower scent -- if you don't like almond scent, you won't like this. I only add this, because the description and some reviews made it sound like it was something different that a typical almond scent.

This. The creams don't perform for me as well as many soaps and creams I use. I do have hard water, and wonder if that impacts the performance. Frenchy, do you have hard water?

Regarding the almond flower scent -- if you don't like almond scent, you won't like this. I only add this, because the description and some reviews made it sound like it was something different that a typical almond scent.

Nope...soft water. The only one of their creams that worked OK for me was Hespéride.
It had the thickest consistency and it worked best by rubbing it on and into my face first...then building a face lather. I imagine it moisturized my face first...almost like a pre-shave. I tried this procedure with the other 4 scents but they didn't work as well..Might be the formulation or ingredients of this particular scent perhaps. I do like almond and coconut. But...as I said in my OP, the fragrances were way too strong, sweet and overbearing for me. Hespéride was the only scent I tried that I thought was well-balanced. As always...YMMV...

Last edited:
+1 on Hesperide. I've only tried the sample of Leather & Smoke. Very nice. In fact , I've tried all 15 samples and did buy the following tubs:
Almond Flower (old formulation & very light scented), Vanilla & Veviter, Hespeeride, & Cedre Noir. I'll be purchasing Leather & Smoke in the future (no time frame as I have so many creams & soaps in my den now).
Again YMMV, but I do like the SC creams I purchased.
ps: a lot of OP like the Kasmir, I wasn't crazy about so I passed on it.
mikey

Nope...soft water. The only one of their creams that worked OK for me was Hespéride.
It had the thickest consistency and it worked best by rubbing it on and into my face first...then building a face lather. I imagine it moisturized my face first...almost like a pre-shave. I tried this procedure with the other 4 scents but they didn't work as well..Might be the formulation or ingredients of this particular scent perhaps. I do like almond and coconut. But...as I said in my OP, the fragrances were way too strong, sweet and overbearing for me. Hespéride was the only scent I tried that I thought was well-balanced. As always...YMMV...
I actually rub cream or soap on my face as a preshave with every software.

Works for some, doesn't work for all. I have no such issues with lather, glide or protection. Above average for me in performance across the board. The scents that I use are as good in strength as any out there. What are you going to do? Some love, some hate. It is what it is. I have 6 creams and soaps that work excellent, Kashmir, Coconut Sandalwood, Leather & Smoke, Cedre Noir and Musk. Bay Lime is one that I would like to get my hands on soon. My favorite scent is Leather & Smoke and best performer is Coconut Sandalwood......

Top Bottom