What's new

Another first timer

Well today I am officially a Straight shaver! Got a Duck in the mail from Jorge (pelicano) this afternoon. I patiently waited for the fiance to go out for the evening so I would not be bothered. Whipped up a nice Proraso lather and got busy!

First thoughts were, "Damn this is scary!". Once I touched the blade to my face all the anxiety went away. I managed a decent shave with no nics and no irritation. I did have a little pulling on some areas of thick growth, but I attribute that to blade angle. Can't wait for tomorrow's shave already!

I'm sure many questions will be coming at you guys so thanks in advance.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work on the first shave!

Sounds like you had a great first experience!

You may fire when you are ready, Jay. I know I had a hell of a lot of questions when I first started.

Curiously enough, though, I don't recall being scared when I started straight-shaving. I was disappointed and frustrated at the results, that was for damn sure...but I don't ever recall being actually scared. Probably because I was so excited to see how things would turn out.

Thanks guys. Decided to take the day off today. Last night I noticed a little burn on my chin and I want that to clear up before I shave again.

Ah Jay ;; U da man
You have taken to this like a duck to water....
It does my heart good to say (I really know that guy)
and mean it....You will have a lot more peaks than
valleys, take my word for it....but you will have that valley
now and again.....I am going to have a great xmas present
for you.....keep up the good work and we will all stay tuned...
God Bless
Duke

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Just finished up my second straight shave. I noticed more pulling around my chin. I have yet to strop the blade at the suggestion of Larry. I might have to give it a strop before the next shave. I did some touch ups with the DE and then a few more with the Duck just to get the feel for it. Man, that chin and jawline is a little scary. No nics or weepers again. Very little if any irritation or burn, yet. We'll see if any shows up later.

Now the questions.

What is a good blade angle to shoot for?
Should I be doing long fluid strokes or shorter strokes like with a DE?
Audible feedback, How much is too much?

Thanks.

I never understood how people figured out blade-angles on a blade they can barely see. I reckon my angle is about 30-35-40 degrees, but I wouldn't vouch for that.

I advise shorther strokes to begin with. If you screw up, you screw up a small area. Not your whole face. Once you're more confident, then you can try longer strokes.

I never knew there was such a thing as too much audiable feedback.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Just finished up my second straight shave. I noticed more pulling around my chin. I have yet to strop the blade at the suggestion of Larry. I might have to give it a strop before the next shave. I did some touch ups with the DE and then a few more with the Duck just to get the feel for it. Man, that chin and jawline is a little scary. No nics or weepers again. Very little if any irritation or burn, yet. We'll see if any shows up later.

Now the questions.

Thanks.

Blade angle, ~30 degrees. Spine almost touching you, blade almost flat.

Long or short strokes, depends what you prefer. Since you're starting, I would recommend short strokes. It easier to focus on stretching the skin and then do a small stroke.

Audio? Depends, I don't know what would too much be? The razor will make a sound while cutting the hair and that's pretty much it. The bigger the blade, to more noise.

Thanks for all the replies.

Just had my third shave today. I starting to doubt the sharpness of this razor. Not that it wasn't sharp when I received it, more that it is still sharp. I tired stropping it and I think all I acheived was putting a nic in the strop and dulling the blade. Half way through the shave I abbandoned the Duck and switched to a Fromm hair shaper and that thing mowed through my stubble. Going to lay off the straight until this weekend when I can give it a few hundred laps on some newspaper.

As has been said in other threads...you can very likely dull the blade either in stropping or shaving when you are starting out.

Dont hesitate to send that razor out for a touch up if you feel it needs it!

Best of luck

As has been said in other threads...you can very likely dull the blade either in stropping or shaving when you are starting out.

Dont hesitate to send that razor out for a touch up if you feel it needs it!

Best of luck

Yeah, that's what I figured. It being my first straight I have no idea how far off it is. I have a blade en route to Jose for some honing, so I might wait til that one comes back to compare the two.

Top Bottom