What's new

Another first timer

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Just tried the HHT and it failed miserably. Looks like I'll be send int off for some touch ups soon.

The HHT doesn't always work on all my blades and they are all shave ready. It depends on which side of the hair you do the HHT... If it's pulling why you shave then, yes, it needs touch up.

Here, here! I do not think I have ever had a razor that always passes the HHT but I still get good shaves from them. If it it not too great of an inconvenience I would send it out for a touch up nonetheless. Perhaps you can ask the honemeister to have a look at the blade before he hones it to see if the blade has really been dulled, that way you might be able to avoid making the same mistake again.

Agree with Gus and Luc here...truthfully, the only "true" test of a razor is the shave itself...and as you've said...your shaves are suffering as of late. A touch up is probably required, but dont use the HHT test as the guide...use how the blade feels against your face and how it cuts your stubble down.

Thanks guys. I thought the HHT was kind of the end all test. I've been practicing my stropping with a butter knife and tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can get that blade sharp again.

Gave it 50 laps on CrOx today and 50 on leather. There seemed to be a lot of suction on the balsa and leather. Is this what's referred to as draw? Anyway, seems to be much sharper now. I'll find out just how sharp tomorrow when I try another shave with it.

Shaving technique is only 50% of straight shaving, learning proper stropping is just as important. Once you have that down you can keep that edge keen for a long time between hones. Crox can be used as a touch up to increase the distance between honing even further but eventually you'll need to hit the stones.

From my personal experience, stropping will take some time, just take it slow, don't try to imitate those videos where they're stropping like 10 laps per second.

If you haven't seen it, this video from Thomas is excellent and I found it a great learning experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301Kwj75uLw

Gave it 50 laps on CrOx today and 50 on leather. There seemed to be a lot of suction on the balsa and leather. Is this what's referred to as draw? Anyway, seems to be much sharper now. I'll find out just how sharp tomorrow when I try another shave with it.

And??? You should have shaved by now :lol:

Sorry, I was out watching MI get beat... again...

Pretty decent shave! No nics/weepers, but a little irritation this time. Some was left over from the other day.

I noticed that the toe is sharper than the heel. Could this be from puuting to much pressure on the the heel end when I strop?

Its definitely possible that poor stropping technique is the culprit. I'd go real slow, verify your technique is covering the whole blade and then gradually speed it up as you gain confidence.

I think I stropped that edge into submission! Got a DFS this evening. I face lathered with some Provence Sante GT, 2 WTG and a partial XTG and there it was. Got a weeper going over a cut that was healing (stupid Sanguine shavette). Finished up with some alum (damn that stuff burns), then some TBS macca root. If it keeps improving like this, I'm going to have to put me DEs up on the BST.

heyyyyyy dont speak bad of the sanguine :thumbup1: I am scared now :lol: glad to see your progress with the straight , hope maybe someday to be doing the same

heyyyyyy dont speak bad of the sanguine :thumbup1: I am scared now :lol: glad to see your progress with the straight , hope maybe someday to be doing the same

Don't be scared, I just got overly excited and lost my focus. Don't stop with the blade on your face it WILL dig in. Straights are fun, I just wish I didn't screw up every other time I strop it.

Just had another shave. Gave it 20 laps on my Poor Man Strop before hand. I think I've almost got the stropping down. That razor is SHARP now. Got a few weepers tonight. Jus the slightest pressure and this thing lets me know it. 2 WTG passes and 1 XTG on the cheeks and this is starting to rival my DE shaves!

Just got in my Carborundum razor hone today, thanks Ian. Gonna give it a shot on a pretty beat up Torrey.

Thanks guys. I thought the HHT was kind of the end all test. I've been practicing my stropping with a butter knife and tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can get that blade sharp again.

Everything I've read and seen has shown me that the HHT is not the end-all of razor sharpness. My two razors don't pass the HHT, but I still get perfect shaves.

Thats really all you need for touch ups if you dont want to go farther...chances are, you'll give in to the ADs but I hope they pass you by!

Too late, I already have a C12K on the way! But I think those two might be enough. I actually set a decent bevel on the Torrey today with the Carb. It was easily shaving arm hair. Too bad it's so chipped up.

On a side note, what I referred to as a weepers are actually much more significant. Need to take a couple days off to let them heal.

WRT your new stone...no surprise :lol: The only reason I haven't given in to that AD yet is I've spent SO much on my other ADs at this point...wifey isn't happy and we really can't aford more luxury purchases with the twins.

WRT the weepers...I had one so bad I had to stop shaving that particular area for a week...didn't make me popular at work. :frown:

WRT your new stone...no surprise :lol: The only reason I haven't given in to that AD yet is I've spent SO much on my other ADs at this point...wifey isn't happy and we really can't aford more luxury purchases with the twins.

I figured in the long run it's cheaper than sending out for honing. At least in theory.

WRT the weepers...I had one so bad I had to stop shaving that particular area for a week...didn't make me popular at work. :frown:

One split open on its own the next day, it's raised and puffy now too. Might have to up it to a full blown laceration.

Couldn't stand the itch any more and shaved today. DFS for sure. Gave the Duck 50 on the strop and had at it. I think my issues before were poor stropping and poor blade angle. I'm really starting to get the hang of it. My fiancé even commented how my face "looked happy" this time. Only set back was opening up a previous nic, but that was to be expected.

If all goes well, tomorrow I'll be receiving a package from Ambrose.:w00t: In said package is the Boker I've been working on. That should make for a great shave on Sunday.:thumbup:

Top Bottom