What's new

An unexpected and wonderful rediscovery

In addition to discovering decades old pens and mechanical pencils owned by my dad while clearing our my parents house I rediscovered an old watch of mine.

Back in the 90's and 00's I was a big fan of Casio and Timex watches. Much to my excitement I came across my old Casio ElectroLuminescence Illuminator watch.:c1:

It is a "plain jane" digital watch with alarm, chrono, and water resistant to 50 meters. Nothing fancy but after I replaced the battery and followed a YouTube video on how to do a factory reset of the digital display I have it up and running!!!
20210430_085627.jpg
20210430_084222.jpg

The 1572 inside the rectangle indicates that this watch was manufactured no earlier than April 1997.
20210430_085548.jpg

Having reconnected with my trusty Casio Illuminator it got me thinking about the old Timex Expedition series of watches I used to love. Turns out a quick search on eBay connected me with the exact style of early 00's Timex Expedition watch I used to wear. Probably paid a bit more than it is worth but it's in pristine condition for its age and I figured you cannot put a price on nostalgia and memories.

When I get a chance to snap some photos I will share those as well.

Tim

Last edited:
Nice. I alternately wear a 20 year old solar powered Casio Pathfinder. I’ve always liked their watches.

The other I wear is a Citizen’s Ecodrive Skyhawk.

Both sync to WWV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Casio ElectroLuminescence Illuminator”

That sounds like something they would be presented with in Mad Men to advertise - what a name.

I believe these watches are now highly desirable again are they not?

“Casio ElectroLuminescence Illuminator”

That sounds like something they would be presented with in Mad Men to advertise - what a name.

I believe these watches are now highly desirable again are they not?

They may be desirable but they are quite reasonably priced on the 'bay', often under $35.

Tim

Fantastic it looks like new. Especially the display very crisp. Enjoy!

Yes, I was pleased with how sharp the digital display is once I got a fresh battery in it. The other nice thing about this version it is has an awesome backlight compared to its predecessor.

Tim

Here is my other blast from the past. I did not find my watch but I did come across this watch that is identical to the one I used to wear 20+ years ago.

Timex 1.jpg

Timex 2.jpg

Timex 3.jpg

These watches personified the Timex slogan "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking". I just am so excited to have come across this watch! :c1:

Since I have been working from home and no occasion to wear my higher-end dress watches I think this Casio and Timex are going to be my "daily drivers" for the foreseeable future.

Tim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Here is my other blast from the past. I did not find my watch but I did come across this watch that is identical to the one I used to wear 20+ years ago.

View attachment 1260493
View attachment 1260494
View attachment 1260495

These watches personified the Timex slogan "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking". I just am so excited to have come across this watch! :c1:

Since I have been working from home and no occasion to wear my higher-end dress watches I think this Casio and Timex are going to be my "daily drivers" for the foreseeable future.

Tim
Excellent
My experience with timex was never that great. I got an expedition in the 80s and it broke. Amazing these old watches are still going!

I decided that today would be "Dad's Accessory/EDC Day".

Items left to me, by him, upon his death a few weeks ago.

20210501_171219.jpg

Watch is a Citizen Eco Drive...with Roman numerals. Knife is Dad's Case Trapper, which I found in an end table drawer upon clearing out his apartment.

Those are Dad's Ray Ban sunglasses too. Apparently, Dad was unaware that companies other than Ray Ban make sunglasses. So now I have two pairs.

Beer is Hofbrau Lager.

Transportation provided by Uber!

One other comment to make about my Timex watch is the fact that I love to hear the sound of the minute hand ticking away. I don't think a single one of my modern watches, divers or dress, makes any sound. What is that all about?!?!?

I think it is much cooler to actually hear the watch keeping time :em2300:.

Tim

Top Bottom