What's new

Amtrak Travel with Blades

I'm going on a trip next month via Amtrak to Baltimore Maryland, does anyone know what the particulars are regarding bringing a straight (my Feather Artist Club RG) or any DE blades on board?

Do they check or actively look in my luggage for them? Last time I took a train, I don't recall any X-Ray that I had to go thru.

Thanks

edit - I just called and the lady didn't seem to know what a DE or straight razor was. After I explained, she said I would be better to leave the blades at home and buy my DE's at my final desitnation. I said, I didn't know anywhere there that sold Feathers or Merkurs.........silence.

Then I asked if there were X-Ray machines and she said no but they do random searches. I think I will take my chances and bring both.

Anyone else have any Amtrak experiences?

My mom recently took an 8 hour train ride and based on her experience, you should be fine. She said that it was so relaxed, she had to search to find someone that could even tell her if she was on the right train, much less check her ticket.

I take Amtrak from East Lansing to Chicago once per year and have never had my bags searched or even seen anyone's bag get looked at. I think you'd be fine to bring anything you wanted to bring along.

Happy travels--the train is great; very relaxing. Upgrade to business class if you can--its only a few bucks more and well worth it--reserved leather seats, power outlet for your laptop, free paper and a drink--can't beat it.

Kyle said:
My mom recently took an 8 hour train ride and based on her experience, you should be fine. She said that it was so relaxed, she had to search to find someone that could even tell her if she was on the right train, much less check her ticket.

I really wouldn't think too much could have changed with train service, even from before Sept 11th, I mean what can you do with a train?

Glad to hear it, thanks Kyle. I'll certainly be relaxed, I'm planning on sitting close to the "bar car" if not just park my myself in there until I reach my destination.

mrob said:
I take Amtrak from East Lansing to Chicago once per year and have never had my bags searched or even seen anyone's bag get looked at. I think you'd be fine to bring anything you wanted to bring along.

Happy travels--the train is great; very relaxing. Upgrade to business class if you can--its only a few bucks more and well worth it--reserved leather seats, power outlet for your laptop, free paper and a drink--can't beat it.

I already got my ticket...can they do an upgrade at the station prior to my departure? It's only a few bucks more and it's a company trip (ie...expense report).

AACJ said:
I really wouldn't think too much could have changed with train service, even from before Sept 11th, I mean what can you do with a train?

dont forget the train bombing in Spain, plenty could be done. taking razors and DE blades shouldnt be a problem at all.

With The Grain said:
dont forget the train bombing in Spain, plenty could be done. taking razors and DE blades shouldnt be a problem at all.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of that :w00t: ....I don't really see that happening where I'm picking up the train, its a pretty small station and not target worthy, so to speak. In a place like New York or Chicago where it's used for commuting, I might worry. It does travel thru DC though, but I am taking a train and not the subway.

i hear ya, the only reason why it even popped into my head was becuase i was commuting via metro north into grand central during that time, have to say i was a little on edge about it for a while.

uh so have fun :tongue_sm :001_smile

AACJ said:
I already got my ticket...can they do an upgrade at the station prior to my departure? It's only a few bucks more and it's a company trip (ie...expense report).

I would think you could upgrade the ticket online?

With The Grain said:
i hear ya, the only reason why it even popped into my head was becuase i was commuting via metro north into grand central during that time, have to say i was a little on edge about it for a while.

uh so have fun :tongue_sm :001_smile

Dang, I think I would have been on edge too!!

P

PortsmouthDavid

I think you'll do fine. I travel by Amtrak from time to time and there's no bag check or security. Totally different from the airlines, where traveling with a DE razor + blades is a real crapshoot.

David

Top Bottom