What's new

American Safety Razor store brands vs. Med Preps/Blues?

I keep a couple of packs of ASR's store brand blades they make for the PX (AAFES) for travel. I find these to be adequate. However, I use Blue Labs most of the time at home. The two blades do not seem similar. Has anyone tried a comparison?

ASR's store brand blades may be made in Israel (probably Crystals or Reds, both good), OR made in Korea, meaning Dorco. I won't use a 300, but I've ordered some Dorco 301's to try them.
To me, the 300's are like shaving with a tin-can lid, but then I feel the same way about Derby's... YMMV!!

I have used the ASR store banded for CVS made in Israel. They work but not on par with Crystals feel more like Personna Barbers.

I agree, they are more likely the Tomy blades, not the Reds or Crystals. The Crystals and Q-Balls are the same blade with different branding.

I just stay away from all the "store" blades. Life is much easier that way and my face thanks me.

Last edited:
I've tried those PX blades too and I agree, they don't seem quite as good. Since the package just says "stainless steel blades", with no mention of Comfort Coating or anything like that, I guess they're just uncoated blades?

And the last pack I bought said Made in USA so I don't think these were the Israeli Personnas. That could change pretty much any time though and last time I bought them was probably a year ago.

I've tried those PX blades too and I agree, they don't seem quite as good. Since the package just says "stainless steel blades", with no mention of Comfort Coating or anything like that, I guess they're just uncoated blades?

And the last pack I bought said Made in USA so I don't think these were the Israeli Personnas. That could change pretty much any time though and last time I bought them was probably a year ago.

ASR has always had the store brand be a couple of levels of quality below the Personna brand. The Personna brand in the store may have suffered from the "Rollback" edicts of Walmart around 2006 or so.

The store brand I bought at Rexall in Canada are Barbers (made in USA) and are horrible. I like the Blue Labs a lot but the Barbers just tear my face up.

Top Bottom