What's new

Amazon Prime Video problem

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’m curious if anyone else is or has experienced the problem that I’m having. I’ve had Amazon Prime for years and an LG TV.

For about a year now Prime Video occasionally says it can’t connect to the internet while every other internet connected feature works (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc.) and they blame it on my internet provider. My internet provider came to the house and claims that there is nothing wrong with their equipment. Neither one has been able to fix the issue and it comes and goes randomly.

So I’m curious if I’m alone in this or if anyone else knows anything about it.

Thanks

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I had that issue a lot (Sony TV).
It usually required unplugging the TV and then powering it back up.
Once or twice I had to reinstall the app on the TV.
We dropped Amazon because even though we paid for the service and Prime, half of Amazon's video required an extra payment to watch something, they kept raising the price, and were talking about doing ads.
We have Hulu/Disney and Netflix, along with the free streaming services.

Last edited:
We had the same problem with a Fire TV Stick on our Sony 4k TV, and Verizon FIOS. It would be working fine, then when you tried to change programs, it went to a black screen with a spinning light in the center. Unplugging the fire stick from our battery-backup surge suppressor for a minute usually fixed the problem, but sometimes we also had to unplug the TV. Some days it happened several time a night. The weird thing is that in early April FIOS had a 24 hour outage in our area. Since FIOS was restored, it has only happened once or twice. We still have no idea where the fault lies.

C

craigq

We had a similar issue with Prime, it either wouldn’t connect or it was extremely slow on AppleTV or on a SmartTV. I caved and bought a FireCube and it was like the proverbial “night and day” experience. Prime worked as one would expect on the FireCube. Couple months later Prime was fast once again on the AppleTV…

OldSaw

The wife's investment
We had a similar issue with Prime, it either wouldn’t connect or it was extremely slow on AppleTV or on a SmartTV. I caved and bought a FireCube and it was like the proverbial “night and day” experience. Prime worked as one would expect on the FireCube. Couple months later Prime was fast once again on the AppleTV…
You just gave me an idea. I have an old Apple TV. I’ll have to try that and see if it works on there.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
OK, Apple TV is the winner! Took me a while to locate the WiFi password and then my wife’s Apple ID but it is working.

As I recall we had some issues with getting various streaming services or their quality on our smart TV, when the internet seemed to be otherwise working fine. We now use ROKU for those services. Seems more reliable and better quality.

Not sure if it's related, but I have a Fire TV Stick that I use for streaming in our basement. I have noticed it tends to buffer a lot more than our other tvs do. They are either on an AppleTV or a Roku stick. I'm tempted to replace it with a Roku stick, but it hasn't been that big of an issue yet.

Top Bottom