What's new

Am I The Only Person On B&B Who Finds The Scent Of Tabac Nauseating?

I realize I'm bordering on shavehood blasphemy when I call this stinkbomb out for the offensive aroma it carries. Yes, scents are objective, and YMMV and all that, and the stuff makes so many top 5 lists here on the forum that I know it is much loved. That is probably for its top shelf lather and shave characteristics, granted, but that many folks would not be touting Tabac as much if they didn't get along with the scent. Eight or nine years ago, after hearing so much about it on this forum, I bought a jar from one of the online vendors. Long story short, I realized I had made a grave mistake. I went ahead and shaved with it, ONCE, but I was somewhat nauseous through the whole shave. By that time, the scent had coated my nose hairs and I had an unpleasant morning. The shave was good, but I got a good weeper once because I had a slight dry heave while the blade was in contact. I know that it is me. I have an acute sense of smell and some scents are disagreeable. I put that opened jar out in my shop hoping the scent would decant but then I couldn't use my shop. I know it's good---I know you guys love it. But is there not one of you members that find the scent of Tabac disagreeable to a fault? Come on, help a brother out.:wink2:

I've never bought or sampled that product. The closest (?) I've gotten is La Toja in its previous formulation. I love that scent but I don't know if it's anything like Tabac. I don't think I want to smell tobacco as a shaving scent although I do like a nice cigar now and then (at least while I'm smoking it - the next morning, not so much).

I don't dislike it as much as you. But I just traded my Tabac stock away. The performance is great better than most for a good fair price, but the smell isn't what I would call enjoyable.

I feel the same. I've smelled soaps that I didn't care for, but there is something about Tabac that turned me off so bad I never
could use it. I ended up tossing the soap and re-using the bowl. Nothing against the product, I hear good things about the
performance.

There are tons of threads on this. Many like it, many don’t. I happen to be in the like it camp. I think it’s old fashioned and a bit floral, but I’m a big fan of classic scents. The tallow version is also one of the all time great performers among hard soaps.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Tabac doesn't smell like tobacco in any way. There might be some tobacco flower smell to it in the background, but not tobacco as we know tobacco (pipe, cigar etc).
It's absolutely a floral backed scent, and that does seem to turn some folks away.

Many like it, many don’t.
Apparently a very, very good shaving soap (old version) that is KNOWN to be a highly polarizing soap due to its scent. I wonder why M&W did not come out with a different scent yet keep all other ingredients the same. They would have been able to sell more product, say almond or lavender, to people just like me and half the responders to this thread.

Apparently a very, very good shaving soap (old version) that is KNOWN to be a highly polarizing soap due to its scent. I wonder why M&W did not come out with a different scent yet keep all other ingredients the same. They would have been able to sell more product, say almond or lavender, to people just like me and half the responders to this thread.
Ah but they did—Irisch Moos. Unfortunately, they discontinued it a while back. Irisch Moos is also a traditional scent, a fougere—still available in aftershave and a fragrance—but generally more of a crowd pleaser.

Smelled it at a shave shop and reminded me of a old lady purse from the 60s or something ?
Not my thing at all :) but hey if they like it more power to em sure some things I love others cant stand but then they would be wrong :) hahahahahahah

did smell arko and I went to a private school in my junior high and they had taken over a very old elementary school so the school was from the 20s or 30s and this was in the 70s when I was there and it kinda reminded me of the cleaning they had done to try to clean the building
whats funny is I had gone to that school as a grade school for 2 years they finally built a new one :) and it smelled good like old school wood chairs wood floor chalkboard and peanut butter sandwiches :)

If you searched you’d likely find at least 100 threads on just the scent.

I wish it didn’t smell like granny’s boudoir, because the performance is outstanding. I wish they’d kept making Irish Moos, because I might have been able to use the soap if I could put up with that scent.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Opening a fresh stick or puck of Tabac and taking a DEEP sniff is always an intoxicating experience. Whether a good one or a bad one is an individual preference, but .....you can't deny ...

1662772384868.png

When I first used the soap, I would not describe the scent of Tabac as my favorite, but it has now really grown on me and I like the scent very much.

I would try to find a place where you can leave the soap for a week or so with its cover removed - may reduce the scent - and then try to continue to use it. Great soap. I should add that I have only used the tallow version.

Top Bottom