What's new

Always nice to learn something new.

I took a very good shaver yesterday (last saw a stone about 2 months ago) and tried it on a La Lune using the Tomo (La Lune chunk) that comes with the base stone.

After viewing I was horrified to see that the lower half (heel to half-way to the toe) was serrated. The serrations were tiny, but could be felt on the back of the thumbnail. It a new blade, bought new, and less than 4 months ago; I assumed that bad metal wasn't No. 1 on the list.

I PMd an elder; a man younger than me, but who has forgotten more than I've learned.

I told him the above, and suggested that I might have created some accidental crumbles with the Tomo.

He suggested that after Tomo, to run 10 strokes on the La Lune on water, no slurry.

I followed his directions and the shave was better than very good.

I even saw some evidence of facts I read about, but have never seen. The Botan phase seemed to rid the blade of the chipping, so I progressed. Using the loupe often, I noticed the chips were back (actually never taken off) but the coarser, earlier grit of the Botan and Mejiero removed enough stria that I discovered they were never really gone!

What's that Twain quote? "Believe 50% of what you see and nothing of which you hear." After Botan I SAW those chips were gone--but they weren't.

Wet shaving is incredibly rewarding. Even when things go wrong. I'm hooked.

These Lalune stone can devellop brittle edges. If you ride your edge over it you risk tearing up your edge. It might help if you chamfer and round off the stone edges. The stone also scratches up easily. So if you are not careful you can get large chunks in your slurry.
I suspect this might have caused issues for me. I need to play a little more with my Lalune. I have not tried it with oil yet.

Thank you, JPO. Is there some advantage to using oil? I’ve only ever used water.
To be honest, I don't know. I was given the advise to use it as a pure finisher with oil. Using it with water seem to degrade the edge if too much time is spent on the stone.
I gave up on the stone for razors. It works well with knifes.
I am planning on giving it one more chance using oil.
I only have two, so my stones might just not be that good for razors.

Thanks again. I would think once exposed to oil the stone would be a water stone forever. (Short of a detergent soak.)

Of course I could be wrong.

Thanks again. I would think once exposed to oil the stone would be a water stone forever. (Short of a detergent soak.)

Of course I could be wrong.
I think the stone is dense enough to be used with wather afterwards. My coticules can be used with oil and water without needing to be degreased.

After using oil on my hard Arks and Vermont slates, I simply wash them with Dawn dishwashing liquid and, voila, no more oil. Not sure if this is or is not the case for a La Lune.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Though I haven't yet honed, I doubt these problems ever occur with lapping film. Or am I wrong?
They can occur but much rarer. Usually caused on films by not following the instructions to the letter.

The problem with many SR shavers is they tend to be more independent thinkers and want to try things "their way". I was one.

Top Bottom