What's new

Alum Ladd's Garden Shed

lasta

Blade Biter
Terrifying Peek-A-Boo GIF by Deadstream
Is this what happens when you try to coax Alan out of his (underground) shed and interact with the real world?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Sorry, @Alum Ladd for just now finding your Garden Shed Thread. I wish you would have IM'd all your friends and acquaintances here at B&B to shed some light on the fact that you were launching this wonderful thread. We could have all chipped in and bought you a shed warming gift!

Your friend!

PS I knocked and nobody answered. But thanks for leaving the light on.😉
Nice to see you here, Brock. 🍻:)

Alum, was passing by and thought I’d stop by the shed. Sorry I missed you.
I wanted to update you on the die issue w Mrs Q. She returned my die and sort of apologized. Don’t understand the whole incident but I’ve given up trying to understand her.
On to the next shave!

It's very interesting Brother @huck1680 that you bring up the topic of cutting your own hair.

I have been pondering the benefits of this lately.

A decade ago or so I would have laughed at the idea.

But then came the covis epidemic, and the first lockdown here in the UK. I recall it was about 3 weeks in, a sunday.

A weird thing, but it suddenly seemed to dawn on the entire male population. "What about haircuts? Eh?" It was like a sudden group zeitgeist type thing. All I recall is that I went on ebay, you know, just to check out the hair clipper market. I was on there several hours. I had about £30-40 to spend. I saw a nice Philips trimmer set for that. I forget the model now.

Now, buying your first hair clippers is a big step. It makes you think. I recall I did a few things, then I went back to the Philips set to pull the trigger.

It was now £150+. The whole UK ebay hair clipper scene was like the stock market in Wall Street. Except Gecko was looking for a haircut. "A trim is good". A few other sets I was watching also were becoming sold out or the prices were rocketing. I've never before or since seen the bay reacting like that, in real time.

Anyways, I eventually settled on a really good clipper set from a fairly obscure professional hairdressing website. I don't have the make on the tip of my tongue but they are excellent, with a very powerful motor, excellent battery or mains options and a 3mm to 12mm clipper attachment option. They have served me great, give an excellent result (or rather Mrs Ladd does) and saved me maybe £2000 since. It has paid for itself maybe 50 times over.

I tend to go for a 6mm overall with a 3mm to fade sides and back. I find shorter hair is far more dignified for a mature, ruggedly handsome and virile man basically such as myself is at this point in time so to speak.

The strangest thing is, I am beginning to see a great improvement in my hair health situation. It seems to be healthier, is stronger, and the slight balding that had set in seems to have been arrested.

Any one else had a similar experience?
Yep...years ago I used to have my hair long enough that I would pony-tail it so it wouldn't turn into a large wind knot when I was motorcycling. Then because of my ancestry and DNA, I began to lose my hair...sigh. It got to a point where I just said to hell with it, bought some clippers and buzzed the bean. I've pretty much been doing that for close to 30 years now.
I do have to give a shout out to Bruce Willis for starting the buzzed to the bone trend though.

Simon, I was extremely jealous of the fact that you had a "shed"

I quickly built one, and when I did it was not in the precise location and had to be moved, so I solicited my neighbors help.

I was greatly moved and cheered by all of your birthday greetings Gentlemen! It means more than I can say.

We only just got from our September camp yesterday evening, and being the tough, wiry and highly fit young man I am, I promptly went to bed and slept for 16 hours.

Mind you, lots of activity, returned a scallop shell that I stupidly took from a rock pool on a beautiful and oddly desolate part of Hastings seafront a couple of years ago. Mrs Ladd had it superglued to the bathroom wall to "remind us of that lovely day that we spent at that beautiful and oddly desolate part of Hastings seafront"

It didn't. instead it just made me feel that I didn't have the right to take it from it's natural place. So last week we found the rock pool (not easy) and replaced it. Mrs Ladd said she was "oddly moved" by the little ceremony. She even had a little few tears.

Funny old world.

Last edited:
Alum, was passing by and thought I’d stop by the shed. Sorry I missed you.
I wanted to update you on the die issue w Mrs Q. She returned my die and sort of apologized. Don’t understand the whole incident but I’ve given up trying to understand her.
On to the next shave!
Much appreciate the update.

I fully understand @Quaznoid !

I find it pointless nowadays to over-analyse the usually inaccurate weather forecast, and just ride out the occasional unpredicatable storm.

Welcome back, Simon!

I’d think you’re supposed to take things in Hastings, but very forcefully.
Thanks for the welcome back Brother @thombrogan !

Actually, the Battle of Hastings was fought at a small and very chill town called (surprise) Battle. It's a great place and the natives are very friendly.

It's about 8 miles north of Hastings. A huge and very ornate abbey was built there in the mid 12th Century, so historians seem to be fixated on that sight as the battle area.

Oddly no artifacts have ever been found at the area which it was supposedly fought. No arrow heads, no chain mail fragments, no nothing. Ziltch.

Luckily I have been carrying out extensive research over the years we have been visting Battle, and I can now confirm that the Battle of Hastings took place in what is now the local Jempsons supermarket and carpark in Battle.

I strongly suspect in addition that King Harold's last stand with his Housecarls and subsequent death from an arrow through the eye took place in and around the area of the fresh fruit and vegetable aisle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom