What's new

Alternatives to Mitchell Wool Fat (with natural ingredients)?

I actually love the oversized Stirling tubs. Loading the brush is a breeze and far less messy than with the smaller tins or tubs.

Since my tub is nearly brand new, lather spills over the rim while I'm loading my brush. I know small companies need to limit the number of SKUs they offer, but I'd love to see them offer their 5.8 oz tub for you, and a 4 oz cake for me. So far, though, I like their soap, so I don't think the big plastic tub will become a non-started for me.

Since my tub is nearly brand new, lather spills over the rim while I'm loading my brush. I know small companies need to limit the number of SKUs they offer, but I'd love to see them offer their 5.8 oz tub for you, and a 4 oz cake for me. So far, though, I like their soap, so I don't think the big plastic tub will become a non-started for me.

Are the 4.5 oz refill pucks too big?

Why not just scoop out 4 oz worth of soap and press it into your lather bowl?

Stirling is soft enough that should be able to scoop some out into a spare container of some sort to give you more room to work with ( any small plastic or glass container will do. Old soap containers, old makeup containers from your wife, or you can buy some smallish magnetic containers at the dollar tree (similar to the IKEA containers that are popular) or a small Pyrex bowl with lid. You can replace the soap to the main container as needed.

Are the 4.5 oz refill pucks too big?

I was going to mention the 4.5 oz pucks too.

I didn't see the smaller refill-size pucks when I was shopping on West Coast shaving. If Stirling becomes my go-to soap, I'll look for the smaller pucks.

Why not just scoop out 4 oz worth of soap and press it into your lather bowl?

Stirling is soft enough that should be able to scoop some out into a spare container of some sort to give you more room to work with ( any small plastic or glass container will do. Old soap containers, old makeup containers from your wife, or you can buy some smallish magnetic containers at the dollar tree (similar to the IKEA containers that are popular) or a small Pyrex bowl with lid. You can replace the soap to the main container as needed.

I thought about it, but I haven't tried it yet.

I didn't see the smaller refill-size pucks when I was shopping on West Coast shaving. If Stirling becomes my go-to soap, I'll look for the smaller pucks.

I thought about it, but I haven't tried it yet.

You can find the smaller refill pucks in Stirling’s own site.

This site is an unbelievable source for new DE shavers like myself. You can type in almost ANY shaving question, and get an answer. AND everybody is pleasant and very helpful. You don't find a lot of that ANYWHERE on the internet. I started with MWF and I really like it, but just ordered Mike's Naturals Lime, thanks to the advice here - wanted something with some kind of scent other than just "good old soap" to put into the mix...

alternate to MWF?
Hi all!

I currently use Mitchell's Wool Fat with distilled water (to help create lather since I live in an area with hard water). My face is sensitive and the lanolin definitely helps keep my face smooth and hydrated.

I really enjoy it but I'm ready to try another product - would you guys have any recommendations for a soap or cream with natural ingredients that's easy to lather (either face or in a bowl)?

Thank you for your help and time!

Just give a try to Cyril R. Salter Solid Shaving soap and Lea Classic shaving soap. I have them in my rotation with MWF and i find them superb. Also try, if you can find it, Dusy Professional MEN Kabinet Rasierseife.

Top Bottom