What's new

Allow me to introduce myself

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!

For the last 3 months I've been wet shaving regularly and really enjoying the experience since I discovered both the Proraso pre & dopo and the soap. I also have a brush made of horsetail hair :confused: I bought in Argentina (it works great). So my weak spot now is my blade: the M3 I've been using.
I'm ready to move up and I'm pretty much set on trying a straight, so after reading the review here I'm gonna order a Sanguine shavette XD (I'm on a budget). I'm reading everything I can about straight razor shaving.
I've been also considering getting a Merkur HD.
When I was a teen I tried my dad's old butterfly DE (plus soap and brush) but got no good results. But of course when you're a teen you don't get many good results at anything...

I welcome any suggestions, comments, etc.

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!

For the last 3 months I've been wet shaving regularly and really enjoying the experience since I discovered both the Proraso pre & dopo and the soap. I also have a brush made of horsetail hair :confused: I bought in Argentina (it works great). So my weak spot now is my blade: the M3 I've been using.
I'm ready to move up and I'm pretty much set on trying a straight, so after reading the review here I'm gonna order a Sanguine shavette XD (I'm on a budget). I'm reading everything I can about straight razor shaving.
I've been also considering getting a Merkur HD.
When I was a teen I tried my dad's old butterfly DE (plus soap and brush) but got no good results. But of course when you're a teen you don't get many good results at anything...

I welcome any suggestions, comments, etc.

Germanicus, welcome to B&B, hope you enjoy your time here.

Is your name for Emperor Claudius' brother Germanicus?

Welcome to the B&B, Germanicus! Do you have a link you could post to the "Sanguine shavette XD" that you mention? I've not heard of that brand, and I'm curious as to what it's like.

You might consider starting with DE shaving first. Even those who use str8s regularly usually have a DE for certain uses. Travel, for one. Or your str8 needs honing and there's not a good time for a day or two. Finally, being on a short budget is NOT a good time to start str8 shaving when you have no equipment at all. :frown:

Welcome to the B&B, Germanicus! Do you have a link you could post to the "Sanguine shavette XD" that you mention? I've not heard of that brand, and I'm curious as to what it's like.

You might consider starting with DE shaving first. Even those who use str8s regularly usually have a DE for certain uses. Travel, for one. Or your str8 needs honing and there's not a good time for a day or two. Finally, being on a short budget is NOT a good time to start str8 shaving when you have no equipment at all. :frown:

Hi Fritz,

Thanks for the tips. The shavette's on its way from the UK. I'm actually keeping an eye for a DE too (the shavette uses DE blades). Here's a review by Elsosamurai:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=S&t=21559

Cheers,
G

Welcome to B&B. You live in a great town.

Thanks Rick,

I was lucky enough to move here permanently after spending too much time on the freezing, boring, East (Toronto and Ottawa).
I used to live in L.A., still have friends there. Now it's easier to visit them.
I just LOVE the West Coast!

G

Hi Fritz,

Thanks for the tips. The shavette's on its way from the UK. I'm actually keeping an eye for a DE too (the shavette uses DE blades). Here's a review by Elsosamurai:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=S&t=21559

Cheers,
G
Ahhhh! Much better. I had seen the review on the "other" Sanguine and it was not a very highly rated razor! This XD one actually looks like it might be useful!

A lot of str8 shavers seem to use a Merkur Slant as their backup DE razor. I have a Slant and love it. Even on days when I shave with another razor, I tend to use the Slant for the difficult touch-up areas on the neck.

Here's an update:
I received my Sanguine shavette today.
It came with Wilkinson DE blades. Are these decent?
I also ordered a Merkur HD from Lee together with some Derbys.
I'm thinking of trying the HD as soon as I get it and try the shavette when I feel ready for it.
(I got a styptic pencil too).

Top Bottom