What's new

Allegro Model L Blade Sharpener

So I went to an antique shop looking for DE razors... Instead found an Allegro Model L blade honing system.

$DSCN1083.jpg

This is a Swiss machine, directions are in many languages with beautiful pictures. They also made a model E (single edge) and a DD (other style DE)

$DSCN1068.jpg

Machine has a triangle with 2 stones and a strop that rotate into place under blade holder. Once loaded in the carriage the blade holder automatically flips blade. Stroke away gets edge 1, toward you does 2, it flips at end, away does 3, toward you does 4, flips... Black stone course, green stone fine, leather strops. There's a 3 setting tension adjuster on the back of the carriage.

Not sure about when it was made, but it's got patents in Brit. 495006, and USA 1862452, 1863431, 2119264. It also has an ad for Chicman shave sticks inside the box.

Sure hundred packs of blades are cheap, but this looks awesome and *could* pull it's weight "A good razor blade lasts a year". I'm sure there are at least a few of these on the board, but figured someone might be interested in seeing one. Let me know if you want to see more.

More pics would be nice. I'm not sure how well this would work with today's blades because it appears to date from a time when razor blades were made of uncoated carbon steel. Perhaps you should test it with a blade that has a well established 'life span' in your experience. Your US patent number 1863431 was issued to Wilhelm Baisch in June of 1932 in a period that placed a premium on getting the most out of items you purchased. https://www.google.com/patents/US18...a=X&ei=YL6PUtG9HabMsATx64HoBQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAA

Do a search for Allegro Blade Sharpener on ebay. A number of listings usually with greatly varying prices. Mostly European sellers. Multiple versions though anything other than the Gillette DE blade version seems to be scarce. I have a SE blade version coming with a Henckels Rapide razor cased set. Henckels offered the cased set at some time, likely in the 1930s. This was not a cheap device and went for $5 in the 1930s from one advertisement I have seen.

I have the de version Allegro and I`ve tried sharpening vintage and modern carbon blades though it did give it a new edge but it wasn`t to my liking. Maybe I need to tinker more with it?

Not sure about when it was made, but it's got patents in Brit. 495006, and USA 1862452, 1863431, 2119264. It also has an ad for Chicman shave sticks inside the box.
Going by the most recent US Patent Number, the patent was filed July 27, 1937 and granted May 31, 1938.
US2119264.pdf

Of course, this just shows when the patent was documented, not when the item was actually made. You can probably count on it being not too far after the 1937 date, though.

So I went to an antique shop looking for DE razors... Instead found an Allegro Model L blade honing system.

View attachment 387150

This is a Swiss machine, directions are in many languages with beautiful pictures. They also made a model E (single edge) and a DD (other style DE)

View attachment 387151

Machine has a triangle with 2 stones and a strop that rotate into place under blade holder. Once loaded in the carriage the blade holder automatically flips blade. Stroke away gets edge 1, toward you does 2, it flips at end, away does 3, toward you does 4, flips... Black stone course, green stone fine, leather strops. There's a 3 setting tension adjuster on the back of the carriage.

Sure hundred packs of blades are cheap, but this looks awesome and *could* pull it's weight "A good razor blade lasts a year". I'm sure there are at least a few of these on the board, but figured someone might be interested in seeing one. Let me know if you want to see more.

Hi, I'm R-Jules and I'm new here. I have a model H and L (maybe next week also a model D) but neither one of them have that tension adjuster on the carriage, so I guess there must be different models L. I'm also very interested in knowing how many models there are exactly. If anyone has some information on that I would appreciate that very much.

I have a Model L that looks to be identical with the one pictured by the OP, and a Model D. Both are double edge blade sharpeners with original directions brochures. The Model D has a longer frame and a different mechanism for releasing the frame stop for removing and installing the blade holder. I also have a Model E long frame version, similar to the Model D, that was bundled with a late production Henckels Rapide / Wotan razor in a fitted leather covered Henckels case, again with Allegro instructions. None mention a tension adjuster for the carriage and I cannot see one in the above photo. Per one brochure there was also a Model DD which was a version that handled several proprietary blades. Both the single edge blade and the specialty blade versions seem to be uncommon on the market. The version with the Henckels razor has a two sided stone installed, one side for honing and the other side a leather strop.

Never heard of the Model H so photos and info would be appreciated.

I have a Model L that looks to be identical with the one pictured by the OP, and a Model D. Both are double edge blade sharpeners with original directions brochures. The Model D has a longer frame and a different mechanism for releasing the frame stop for removing and installing the blade holder. I also have a Model E long frame version, similar to the Model D, that was bundled with a late production Henckels Rapide / Wotan razor in a fitted leather covered Henckels case, again with Allegro instructions. None mention a tension adjuster for the carriage and I cannot see one in the above photo. Per one brochure there was also a Model DD which was a version that handled several proprietary blades. Both the single edge blade and the specialty blade versions seem to be uncommon on the market. The version with the Henckels razor has a two sided stone installed, one side for honing and the other side a leather strop.

Never heard of the Model H so photos and info would be appreciated.

The Mod. H and L (at least the ones that I have) look quite identical with the exception of a few small differences which can be seen on the photos. I tried to upload all the photos but I didn't know that I could only upload 10, so maybe I can do the rest the next time. Hope you like the photos so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.JPG
    IMG_5391.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5393.JPG
    IMG_5393.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5394.JPG
    IMG_5394.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5395.JPG
    IMG_5395.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5396.JPG
    IMG_5396.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5397.JPG
    IMG_5397.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5398.JPG
    IMG_5398.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5399.JPG
    IMG_5399.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
Your models H and L look almost identical overall. I have also seen photos of Model L versions with painted frames, possibly from WW2? Here is my Model D. Differences are clearly evident at the top. Overall the frame is about 1/2" longer. The Model D has a serial number of 1383947 and my Model L has a serial number of 2287958. It looks like your Model H must have replaced the Model D soon after mine was made.

Allegro-V1-2.jpg

Your models H and L look almost identical overall. I have also seen photos of Model L versions with painted frames, possibly from WW2? Here is my Model D. Differences are clearly evident at the top. Overall the frame is about 1/2" longer. The Model D has a serial number of 1383947 and my Model L has a serial number of 2287958. It looks like your Model H must have replaced the Model D soon after mine was made.

View attachment 795270
I purchased a Model D today and I think I'll receive it next week or (if I'm lucky) maybe even this weekend. I'll make some photos of that one as well just to see if there are any differences. Here are the rest of the photos I was talking about. The Mod. H came with a leather pouch and an extra stone and some DE blades. It also had a spare clip for the blades. I stropped some blades with these devices and I must say that they really work quite well.

Attachments

• IMG_5400.JPG
    IMG_5400.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5401.JPG
    IMG_5401.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5402.JPG
    IMG_5402.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5403.JPG
    IMG_5403.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5404.JPG
    IMG_5404.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5405.JPG
    IMG_5405.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5406.JPG
    IMG_5406.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5407.JPG
    IMG_5407.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5408.JPG
    IMG_5408.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5409.JPG
    IMG_5409.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
Never seen the leather case before. Nice. Here is a photo of my Model E in the Henckels leather case with the razor. Note how the Allegro has been factory modified to accommodate the razor handle. No model marking or serial number on this particular Allegro. My most expensive JA Henckels purchase which includes 4 blades and the leather case, all in virtually new condition. A beautiful set that per the accompanying Henckels advertising brochure was originally sold by a shop in Los Angeles. Unfortunately no prices listed.

JAH+-2.jpg

Never seen the leather case before. Nice. Here is a photo of my Model E in the Henckels leather case with the razor. Note how the Allegro has been factory modified to accommodate the razor handle. No model marking or serial number on this particular Allegro. My most expensive JA Henckels purchase which includes 4 blades and the leather case, all in virtually new condition. A beautiful set that per the accompanying Henckels advertising brochure was originally sold by a shop in Los Angeles. Unfortunately no prices listed.

View attachment 795294
Very, very nice! Now THAT is something really worth collecting. If you have more photos I really would like to see them. Finding a Model E is already quite difficult but finding one in thát condition is more than rare, especially with that razor handle and the leather case.

I am not a photographer at all so these are the ebay photos from the seller. The sales brochure lists 13 Henckels sets with model numbers plus some accessories.

JAH+-7.jpg
JAH+-8.jpg
JAH+-1.jpg
JAH+-6.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Personally I find the Allegro stropping devices better than the similar looking ones from other brands.

Thanks for sharing. Personally I find the Allegro stropping devices better than the similar looking ones from other brands.

Based on companies such as Henckels and some others offering them as accessories as shown by my cased unit apparently the industry of the day agreed with you. The Allegro was apparently cloned by several imitators from what I have seen on Ebay and Etsy.

I have a weakness for Henckels Rapide and CV Heljestrand wedge blade safety razors and their accessories.

Since this has more interest going, i grabbed some more pics.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Open blade holder

proxy.php

Load a blade in holder

proxy.php

Load holder in machine, push away.

proxy.php

Hit the end and pull back toward start

proxy.php

Then when it hits the end you loaded holder from, blade flips over to sharpen other side.

Also mounted on the carrage that moves the blade holder is the tension adjuster

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's a very nice one. I haven't found a model L yet with that tension adjuster. The ones that I have are all without, but maybe soon I will find one.

Thank you!

We can try to figure out if it's a feature they added during production, or one they took away to save cost. What are the patents and serial number on your L?

My serial is 3170323, and patents are listed in OP.

I have 4x Mod. L
1: Brit. Pat. 356025 - 495006 (serial 2089523) this one is black
USA 1862457 - 1863431 - 2119264
2: Brit. Pat. 495006 (serial 2635668)
3: Brit. Pat. 495006 (serial 2817144)
4: Brit. Pat. 495006 (serial 2895621)

Mod. H
Brit. Pat. 356025 (serial 1426622)
USA 1399241 - 1862457 - 1863431

Mod. D
Brit. Pat. 138265 - 278329 (serial 947785)
USA 1399241

I hope you can tell me more about these items. Every info would be grately appreciated. Not all of the Mod. L are in really good shape. Well at least not like the one you have. The finish on the black one is worn off for about 50% and 2 others look a bit used. I found them on flea markets and 2 of them came with some old DE blades.
Looking at our serial numbers I think they added the tension adjuster in a later production.

Last edited:
Top Bottom