What's new

Alden v. Mephisto

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
IMG_7904.jpeg
IMG_7903.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
When this thread started in 2019, I was deciding between a pair of the Marlons by Mephisto and the All Weather Walkers (AWW) by Alden.

In the original post in 2019, I noted that the cost of Marlon was about $150 less than the AWW. The cost of the Marlon in 2019 was basically the same at it is now which is $429, seeing a slight increase of about $20-$30 in the last 4 years.

IMG_7994.jpeg

The AWW, on the other hand, in 2019 cost in the vicinity of $550. Since 2019, the price increased to $653, with another $31 increase occurring last week to bring the cost of these shoes to $684.
IMG_7990.jpeg

So four years ago, the AWW cost about $150 more than the Marlon. Four years later, the AWW costs more than $250 than the Marlon.

If that were the case 4 years ago, I don’t know if I would have made the same choice.

I can remember paying under $600 for Alden shell cordovan shoes some 20 years ago. Now, depending on the color, they can easily go for well over $1000 for the more “exotic” shell colors (i.e., whiskey, Ravello, cigar, Color 4) with the easier to obtain black and Color 8 shell cordovan, going for between $800-$900 dollars.

These are a pair of 20+ year-old Mephisto Melchior (which cost the same as the Marlon).
IMG_7996.jpeg
IMG_7995.jpeg

The Alden AWW.
IMG_7997.jpeg

IMG_7908.jpeg

Thankfully, I’m reaching the age bracket where New Balance is becoming my “fancy” footwear. 😉 😀

IMG_8002.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The saga of the “Capone” is finally concluded with the sale of ‘ol Scarface on Poshmark.

I’m very happy that someone is getting these shoes that have so much life left on them. I’m sure they will enjoy them for many years to come. :thumbup1:
IMG_8096.jpeg

IMG_8095.jpeg

As for the new pair I bought to replace the “Capones”, well, let’s just say I’ve learned my lesson.

Now, whenever I wear the new All-Weather Walkers to the office, before I walk through that steel glass door that scarred the Capones, I take them off, wrap them in a flannel bag and put them in my brief case and then when I reach my office, I put them back on.

Not gonna get me twice. 🤪😉😀

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My last purchase of a pair of Alden shell LHS was in 1989. In terms of value, I think they are world beaters. Plus, they look so good. There is a reason Aldens are canonical for the notoriously thrifty New England traditionalist of the TNSIL (traditional, natural shoulder, Ivy League) sort.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
My last purchase of a pair of Alden shell LHS was in 1989. In terms of value, I think they are world beaters. Plus, they look so good. There is a reason Aldens are canonical for the notoriously thrifty New England traditionalist of the TNSIL (traditional, natural shoulder, Ivy League) sort.

Totally agree. These are the LHS in 2013. I probably had them for about 5 years by that time.
IMG_8323.jpeg

In 2018, they were sent to Alden to be refurbished.
IMG_8324.jpeg
IMG_8325.jpeg
IMG_8326.jpeg

IMG_8327.jpeg

Being spruced up in 2022.
IMG_8328.jpeg

These shoes are about 16 years old and have many years left to go and I hope my feet are there with them. 😀

Top Bottom