What's new

Alden v. Mephisto

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So it’s been about one year since this discussion started. While on the hunt to try and obtain the All-Weather Walker (AWW) from the Alden Factory Seconds list, it became apparent to me that finding a pair in my Alden size on the Barrie last (9 E) just wasn’t going happen. This coming from a guy who 7 years ago searched for nearly 2 years for the elusive Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan chukka before finding them.

Now as far as elusiveness goes, the AWW certainly doesn’t fall into the same category as the more exotic shell Cordovan leathers offered by Alden (i.e. ravello, whiskey or cigar) but waiting for a factory second in my size was certainly an “iffy” proposition. And it’s not as if my size and color preference isn’t readily available so the waiting time was self-imposed.

Well... not anymore.

After mulling this over for almost a year (and that’s a lot of mulling :rolleyes:) whether to get the Alden All-Weather Walker or the Mephisto Marlon, I finally pulled the trigger on the Alden AWW (in Brown Alpine Grain).

Hey... it’s a process. :biggrin:

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I think I need to begin searching for the elusive Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan long wing Blucher (or PTB or chukka or LHS). :eek2:

:thumbup1:

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The All-Weather Walkers from Alden arrived today and I am very pleased. :yesnod:
4C9CEC5D-69BF-4E85-A3E2-F4C0DFA07236.jpeg

Those look awfully nice. I'm patiently awaiting my mephisto urban's to return from refurbishment.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Those look awfully nice. I'm patiently awaiting my mephisto urban's to return from refurbishment.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about the quality of work done by Mephisto refurb program.

I have a pair of 15-20 year old Melchiors I’m considering for a refurb.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts about the quality of work done by Mephisto refurb program.

I'll let you know when I get them back. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out as well. My first try with mephisto.

Got the mephistos back. They turned out well. My only complaint, which is a big one, is that they had them for 5 months. The story was that they had to wait for the new soles to come from France; they acted like they had no control over what France would send them, so I just had to wait for the right soles to come when they came.
20201230_160600.jpg
20201230_160606.jpg
20201230_160613.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Nothing like getting a new old pair of shoes back but I gotta say that waiting 5 months is kinda unacceptable.

Glad you finally got them back and that you’re happy with them. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@Jut

I’ve been looking at the Cristiano by Mephisto. How long/often did you wear yours before you needed a refurb?

8AE7F165-284E-42BD-BEB4-A06A1AF5DFD4.jpeg
4C39124F-81ED-4AA0-B371-53467F4C1B51.jpeg

I wore mine for 3 and 1/2 years. I could have wore them for another couple years, but to fit into my "missing shoe" rotation of refurbishment, I sent them in when I did. when I say "missing shoe" rotation, I'm talking about how I try to send in shoes for refurbishment in a way that ensures I'm never without a certain type of shoe at any given time.

I also sent them in early because I was interested in purchasing another pair of Mephistos if the refurbishment came out well. In my opinion, the refurb did turn out well.

I wore them a couple times a week on average.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Another loyal Alden fan here. After wearing my Alden for Brooks unlined shell LHS probably four or five days a week since 1989 I broke down and got the Chromexcel LHS from Shoemart's factory seconds. I cannot see why they are seconds. They are wonderful. They were out of the box comfortable, unlike shell which has a definite break in period.

Oh man, that's horrible.

About 15 years ago my sister's house was hit by a tornado and sustained a fair amount of damage. No comparison to what my sister went through, but I lost my favorite pair of Allen Edmonds in the aftermath when a piece of broken glass cut the side of one shoe about this same way....thankfully the glass never touched my foot. I can't remember the name the model off the top of my head, but it was discontinued and AE was sold out. A few years later I found another pair in my size and the same color at the summer tent sale at the factory in Port Washington. Think they were $99 (!!), and I was so excited to find them. Unfortunately the second pair never felt the same and they have spent most of their time with me in the box at the back of the closet.

Gentlemen, my advice, don’t try and hold a door open with your foot because it may get loose and swipe right across your shoe.

View attachment 1607449View attachment 1607450

Ruined. :thumbdown
I feel your pain, but I would not say ruined. I am not quite a Adlai Stevenson old Boston shoe guy, but if my otherwise nice and well-kept shoes show some effects of the whips and arrows of day to day life, I do not think that disqualifies them from continuing to be worn! A gentleman is not, or at least not necessarily, a "dandy." (No dis, JG, I know you are not a dandy!)

Top Bottom