What's new

Alcohol Splash: Nostalgia or Good Skin Care?

If it were a manly competition I would say grow your beard and not fuss over razors, soaps, or any form of skincare.

I'll wait for the thread! lol

Actually, I've enjoyed your posts. Don't let the guff stop you, please. Guff is free; you'll only get what you pay for.

Ok Larry. At your request and due to the need for my popular comic relief on the forums, keep your eyes out for my new thread in a few minutes.

Glycerin: The Double Edge Sword

I have a sneaking suspicion that all these threads about the dangers of witch hazel & alcohol based after shaves will soon result in recommendations for new products from one or two "brand new" members who will suddenly appear and will have just the thing to quell our growing fear of witch hazel and alcohol.

You mean ... someone was .... MARKETING to us????

You mean ... someone was .... MARKETING to us????

Boy after insinuating I was not a gentleman yesterday because I had no avatar or signature, followed by a Mod Warning, I thought you might back off. I updated my avatar and signature for you so now I may be trustworthy.

I apply bacon grease post shave and smoke a Lucky Strike® for relaxation and increased virility.

Now you went and made me nostalgic for my 2 pack a day Lucky habit from 40 years ago. If they only cost $.25 a pack like I paid back then, I'd still be smoking (or dead).

As for alcohol splashes, I've been using them for 50 years. Not great these days for my rosacea, but probably less harmful than the jug of gin I knock off every week.

Now you went and made me nostalgic for my 2 pack a day Lucky habit from 40 years ago. If they only cost $.25 a pack like I paid back then, I'd still be smoking (or dead).

As for alcohol splashes, I've been using them for 50 years. Not great these days for my rosacea, but probably less harmful than the jug of gin I knock off every week.

Ha! Money was the only reason I quit.

L.S./M.F.T.

"It's Toasted", 'and so are you Tony', as my friends often quipped.

Not great these days for my rosacea, but probably less harmful than the jug of gin I knock off every week.

You may want to check Red Raspberry Seed Oil. I can't say I have done clinical trials with it on rosacea, but I believe it may help. It is expensive though.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I apply bacon grease post shave and smoke a Lucky Strike® for relaxation and increased virility.
I save money and use a liberal amount of Isopropyl Alcohol as a splash and bacon grease to moisturize to increase my virility while smoking American Spirit's (because I'm health conscious about my smoking). :w00t:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Ok Larry. At your request and due to the need for my popular comic relief on the forums, keep your eyes out for my new thread in a few minutes.

Glycerin: The Double Edge Sword
I for one like your posts. We are all friends here. That is what I love about B&B! :001_smile

Last edited:
It's certainly not a nostalgia thing for me though I do kind of like the brief sting/burn. For me, it's a skin thing. I have oily skin so I want an aftershave product that makes makes my face feel smooth and dry. Alcohol based aftershaves are the only thing I've found that work. Whenever I use balms or gels, my face ends up feeling kind of tacky and sticky. Rather than smooth and dry feel when rubbing my hand on my face it feels more like rubbing an eraser over paper. There's a friction and tackiness there. Everything I currently use is alcohol based with the exception of one gel/balm which I use occasionally in the winter if my skin gets a bit dry..

I regret that I lived 57 years before I used any aftershave. Over the last four years, I've acquired approximately 120 full bottles of the stuff, virtually all alcohol based. Some are essentially alcohol, water and scent, and others are filled with "face goodies." My face seems to feel the same as it did before I started using AS splashes, but as the AS is my favorite part of the shave, I'm going to keep using them.

Oh I will not be creating anymore new threads Tony. I'm new to the forum and feel like Galileo being imprisoned by the church for saying the planets revolve around the sun, rather than everything revolving around the earth. Feel free to delete my two threads as I see science gets no love on this forum.

Your OP was rather interesting and insightful.
I am relative noob here too but don't let the die hards put you off. They are mostly great guys.
Personally I'll still use alcohol based Aftershave but I am still trying to figure out why the sting is such a good thing. [emoji106][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was an alcohol splash guy for years, until I got into proper shaving, and started thinking about what aftershave should do for my skin. At that point, I got into moisturizing balms, and haven't looked back. I just got samples of Barrister and Mann's Reserve aftershaves, however, and I gave the "Spice" splash a try. I haven't used anything other than CRSW Nourish in at least a year, but I was pleasantly surprised with this splash. It made my skin feel great, and there was no perceptible alcohol burn. I just wish there was an unscented version available. I wouldn't mind switching back to alcohol splashes, if there was an unscented one that performed as nicely as the Barrister and Mann Reserve aftershaves.

I was an alcohol splash guy for years, until I got into proper shaving, and started thinking about what aftershave should do for my skin. At that point, I got into moisturizing balms, and haven't looked back. I just got samples of Barrister and Mann's Reserve aftershaves, however, and I gave the "Spice" splash a try. I haven't used anything other than CRSW Nourish in at least a year, but I was pleasantly surprised with this splash. It made my skin feel great, and there was no perceptible alcohol burn. I just wish there was an unscented version available. I wouldn't mind switching back to alcohol splashes, if there was an unscented one that performed as nicely as the Barrister and Mann Reserve aftershaves.

I also love the Barrister Reserve aftershaves. I've got Cool and Spice, enjoyed some samples of Classic, and am looking forward to the release of Fern. There's plenty of alcohol in BR aftershaves, however. I believe it's the second ingredient, after witch hazel.

Over my years I've tried them all - moisturizing balms as well as alcoholic splashes. For me and my needs Dominca Bay Rum is all I need and use.

Use what best suits you.

Chris

This is a clash of marketing paradigms masquerading as a quest for truth. One paradigm seeks to maintain shaving products as their own thing. The other seeks to assimilate shaving to dermatology (i.e., "skin care") in order to permit skin care brands to displace traditional shaving brands. Meanwhile, Proctor & Gamble hedges its bets, playing both sides of the fence (Old Spice and Art of Shaving; cf. Zirh).

Top Bottom