What's new

Alcohol Splash: Nostalgia or Good Skin Care?

Most people remember their first Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone) moment where they first feel "The Burn". Maybe it was your Father or Grandfather who gave it to you after your first fake shave removing shaving cream with a bladeless razor while monitoring each other through the reflection of the mirror. But does this nostalgia add up to good skin care or does it just not matter if it is actually bad for you?

Alcohol Splashes were created by Barbers in the late 1800's, just one generation after we realized more people died from infections of their wounds in the Civil War due to dirty instruments rather than the initial wound in the first place. Barbers did not create the alcohol splash with skin care on theirs minds. They were businessmen who were mitigating risk, ie. don't kill the customer with a septic infection by re-using the same blade on face after face.

Great alcohol is an antiseptic. Great Alcohol is an astringent. I say so what. How many of you went to highschool with toilet paper on your cuts and no post shave and are still alive today to discuss how you survived your septic infection? Do you really even know why you want to close your pores or is that just something you were told you need to do and not sure why?

As many of you know alcohol dehydrates your skin, but did you know it does this in two ways? First it destroys your "lipid barrier" or "acid mantle" that actually protects your face from bad bacteria and provides a ecosystem for your natural flora (good bacteria). Without this lipid barrier your rate of TWL (Transepidermal Water Loss) speeds up. Secondly the alcohol molecules begins to evaporate and carry the water molecules with them.

I know what your thinking. "My skin is not dehydrated. I actually have oily skin so I need to use an alcohol or an astringent." WRONG!!!!!! Oil and hydration are two different things. When your skin is dehydrated your skin's sebaceous glands kick into over-drive to compensate for the dehydration and replace your lipid barrier. The more you use alcohol, you are actually exasperating your oily skin condition. Want to tame your oily skin? Drink more water and use an oil based moisturizer and your sebaceous glands' sebum production with become regulated.

In conclusion, I know a lot of you traditionalist will think this is rubbish or just not care because you are addicted to the beloved burn. I get it. I drink bourbon and I know it is bad for me, but I don't put it on my face. In my opinion your shave den alcohols only use should be to sterilize your hardware. After all we don't still go to the barber to get our teeth pulled, so why would we adopt the skincare techniques of the same error?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Well, it seems like alcohol aftershave splashes have been around for almost a couple of hundred years now and no one's face has fallen off or lost an eye. I say follow your bliss.

Last edited:
Great YMMV post. The main thought on the B&B is that one tries out different products and equipment, and finds out which ones work best for them. If you do not like a product then you do not use it, a very simple concept.

I have noticed no detrimental effects of using alcohol aftershaves/colognes. I have found no need to sterilize hardware after its initial cleaning steps (my opinion), but what ever you are comfortable with.

You are comfortable with drinking alcohol, which admitt is detrimental, so you are following the YMMV concept.

It sounds a like bit like a "the sky is falling" type of post (along with the Thayer's WH posts).

Being outside exposes you to the suns radiation which is detrimental to your skin, most things in life are hazardous (the sun, too much water, emmisions from vehicles and industries etc.), so everyone should hide inside and huddle in a corner? but wait ...... off-gassing of furniture and carpeting can be hazardous.

@Pepin

I agree with you. It's not that I think the sky is falling or think someones face will fall off. I was always conscious of what I put in my body food wise (bourbon omitted), and a couple of years ago I began making my own soap (not shaving soap). This lead to research and becoming more aware of what I put on my body (skin being our largest organ). I ferociously read ingredient labels now and rely on that more than what the marketing tells me. Most people don't read the ingredient list in blind faith and if it smells good it must be good. Admittedly my post won't change consumer behavior, but some may find the research interesting, while many will think it's just pure hogwash. I've heard people say if it were bad for you they wouldn't make it. If there is demand, people will sell it to you. I advocate for my own health as nobody else is going to do it. Maybe it's too over the top for most. Thanks for your response.

Lol! I think I will stick to reading the forums, rather than posting.... Happy Shaving.

I like to have a small glass of witch hazel and wash it down with an Aqua Velva chaser. Pretty soon they'll be trying to tell us that not all claims made in advertisements are true.
Guinness2.jpg

I think almost everybody has a bit of nostalgia when it comes to aftershaves/colognes

From the age of 13, I used to get a bottle of Brut 33 Splash On for my birthday and at Christmas - for 3 years before I learned to shave I used to drench myself in Brut or as the late, great Henry Cooper used to say......
"Nothing beats the great smell of Brut - splash it on all over"

I remember getting my usual bottle of Brut for my 15th birthday, I splashed on so much of it after my bath that my Dad could smell it before I'd even got downstairs - and when I opened the living room door the smell nearly knocked him out.

The next day at school I was hearing remarks like .......
"Has someone here got BO, or Brut" and "You must have washed your shirt in it"

When I actually started to shave at 16 , I started using aftershaves
Dad hates aftershave, but had bottles given to him as presents - I "liberated" a bottle of Imperial Leather Classic that had been in the airing cupboard for years - and used half of it in one go when I was getting ready to go to a restaurant for dinner - luckily they didn't have candles on the tables otherwise I'd have probably spontaniously combusted !!

Luckily now I use less of the more potent aftershaves !!

Oh I will not be creating anymore new threads Tony. I'm new to the forum and feel like Galileo being imprisoned by the church for saying the planets revolve around the sun, rather than everything revolving around the earth. Feel free to delete my two threads as I see science gets no love on this forum.

I have a sneaking suspicion that all these threads about the dangers of witch hazel & alcohol based after shaves will soon result in recommendations for new products from one or two "brand new" members who will suddenly appear and will have just the thing to quell our growing fear of witch hazel and alcohol.

Oh I will not be creating anymore new threads Tony. I'm new to the forum and feel like Galileo being imprisoned by the church for saying the planets revolve around the sun, rather than everything revolving around the earth. Feel free to delete my two threads as I see science gets no love on this forum.

Seriously, don't feel that way. It is like walking into a vegetarian restaurant and ordering a steak. You will get some funny looks. Tons of members here feel alcohol splashes are obsolete and who am I to say they are wrong. Whatever works is the right answer.

Ok, so alcohol and witch hazel are out. Now what?

Witch Hazel is not out, Just has misleading labeling according to FDA regulation. Oil based moisturizers and balms work best for ME. You guys use what work best for you. There, I now think i have the forum philosophy down.

Witch Hazel is not out, Just has misleading labeling according to FDA regulation. Oil based moisturizers and balms work best for ME. You guys use what work best for you. There, I now think i have the forum philosophy down.
Is the alcohol ok, if we add a drop or two of glycerine? I tend to do this with some of the more potent burners.

Top Bottom