What's new

Airport Drinks

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What is it about drinking at the airport? It's the thing to do, isn't it? I suppose there is travel stress, tedium, and knowing that you're not driving for a while. There's also some community involved.

I'm at a small airport right now--five gates total. There are about eight passengers on the gate side of security, and four of us are at the bar (one of the others is my teenaged son who needs some alone time). I can't speak for everyone, but something tells me that we aren't all noon cocktailers, but here we are, and we are quite enjoying ourselves.

By the way, my first drink at the airport always is a Bloody Mary. It's for good luck. Airport bartenders tend to make a pretty good one, too. I recommend the spicy one if you are passing through Kalamazoo.

20181111_121550.jpg

What is it about drinking at the airport? It's the thing to do, isn't it? I suppose there is travel stress, tedium, and knowing that you're not driving for a while. There's also some community involved.

I'm at a small airport right now--five gates total. There are about eight passengers on the gate side of security, and four of us are at the bar (one of the others is my teenaged son who needs some alone time). I can't speak for everyone, but something tells me that we aren't all noon cocktailers, but here we are, and we are quite enjoying ourselves.

By the way, my first drink at the airport always is a Bloody Mary. It's for good luck. Airport bartenders tend to make a pretty good one, too. I recommend the spicy one if you are passing through Kalamazoo.

View attachment 927273
It's a good way to relax and kill time after checking in luggage. I usually order a Gin and Tonic with Pomegranate (or lime), I love the refreshing bitterness. :001_tongu
Enjoy your trip.

View attachment 927273
I must say that bloody mary does look good.. I think some of us are just naturally attracted to the bar :D

I prefer to be stone cold sober when I fly because if the flight goes down, I want my last thought to be "It wasn't worth living anyway".

Reactions: abj

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
And yeah...the airport prices are higher too, but it's a cool way of relaxing in between gates, lay-overs,
delays (etc...).
Shoulder Shrug.jpg

I usually buy the NY Times, Cigar Aficionado or some other form of reading material...settle down w/ a Jameson & Coke, watch and enjoy the 'potpourri' of modern airline travel (i.e., 'hurry up and wait' mentality).:thumbsup:

On one end...some are lackluster, run-of-the-mill establishments designed to solely kill time, but others go above and beyond, serving up stylish interiors, top-notch beer and cocktail menus, tasty snacks, top-notch kitchen creations and front-row seats for plane spotting take-offs and landings .
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Airport bars are more like film sets, [...]. Everyone is waiting to go somewhere, suspended in nowhere...”. Christy Hall

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
And thank goodness for that. Our flight from Chicago to Houston was delayed two hours.

When I lived up North it seems every flight I had through Houston was delayed. I always flew Continental, almost every one of there flights connected at Bush, and always a delay in or out.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@BigFoot, this had nothing to do with IAH. They switched aircraft on us after the one we were going to fly to Houston had to go down for maintenance. All things considered, an extra couple of hours in the lounge was almost a good outcome, as everything else went just fine.

A few drinks helped pass the time.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
@BigFoot, this had nothing to do with IAH. They switched aircraft on us after the one we were going to fly to Houston had to go down for maintenance. All things considered, an extra couple of hours in the lounge was almost a good outcome, as everything else went just fine.

A few drinks helped pass the time.

I think you should still blame IAH for all the times I was stuck there. :lol:

At least the Louisville airport has a bar that has a really big selection of bourbon........... I wasn't gonna have a drink, but I had to

Theres been a few times when my flight has been delayed and I killed some time throwing a few bad at an airport bar. Infact, the weekend that I got married, my flight got delayed and while my fiance was freaking out about me maybe not getting there in time, my way of dealing with it was to get a burger and a few beers until my flight boarded. I mean, what else could I do?

Many years ago I needed to get from Minneapolis to Chicago. A blizzard was going through the upper Midwest and planes were delayed from hours to days...are real mess. A couple of us checked with Amtrak and found out the Empire Builder was going to be rolling into St Paul shortly before going on to Chicago. We grabbed a cab to the train depot. In good weather driving from the Twin Cities to Chicago takes about 7 hours. During a blizzard the train took 8 hours. We spent much of the time in the lounge car drinking whiskey sours and Old Fashions. By the time we hit Chicago I couldn't feel my face...and the numbness had nothing to do with the cold.

Many years ago I needed to get from Minneapolis to Chicago. A blizzard was going through the upper Midwest and planes were delayed from hours to days...are real mess. A couple of us checked with Amtrak and found out the Empire Builder was going to be rolling into St Paul shortly before going on to Chicago. We grabbed a cab to the train depot. In good weather driving from the Twin Cities to Chicago takes about 7 hours. During a blizzard the train took 8 hours. We spent much of the time in the lounge car drinking whiskey sours and Old Fashions. By the time we hit Chicago I couldn't feel my face...and the numbness had nothing to do with the cold.

Beautiful travelogue.

Top Bottom