What's new

The aftershave: The story about the art of perfect application.

Hello members of B&B I write to you from the past.
This story is no ordinary story, this story is one full of scintillating ups and downs. This is the story about a man, who in this modern day and age forgot the golden rule of scent application. Please, join this lovely journey as one man learns how to have the perfect application of aftershave.

Just kidding. I had a good story in my head, but I'm sure you all have better things to do, here is the break down.

The veg..Yes, I know, the urinal cake/morticians favorite/nursing home favorite scent. I will speak of not only the veg, but also other popular scents.

We will start with the veg, and end finally with the stoic and very difficult to perfect bay rum scent.

The veg:
When to wear it: Out-door parties, specifically near the pool. Yes you may "HATE" the veg, but the veg honestly shines its own bright beacon of light when worn by a specific user with a penchant for vintage clothing. Let's be honest, it REEKS of 1930's. Floral was all the rage back then for men.
This scent is PERFECT for the gentlemen who has out-door events to get to. SPECIFICALLY in the SPRING.
You heard it here folks, SPRING, SPRING, SPRING..Don't wear this scent during summer, nor fall, nor winter. This is a SPRING ONLY scent. Its association with a strong floral underpinning is VITAL that you don't wear this any other time.
Typically the wearer is very, very dapper. A nice suit, hair slicked up looking very neat. This scent is NOT to be worn with casual or semi casual clothes. Black/white tie, formal gatherings outdoors only. Think...Great Gatsby like parties. Actually, Jay Gatsby would be wearing this very scent during his parties, with out a doubt.

Most people put on the veg when they are doing something completely unrelated to the scent. The man makes the scent. A 30 something year old, looking very very nice, with a splash of this? Yes please!(if I were gay of course). Obviously you don't want to be in a store doing your shopping, or working around the yard or lounging..No, gentlemen, this is a scent for the aristocratic parties. For the gentlemen with philosophy degrees, for the gentlemen working in the upper echelons of finance and banking, going to snazzy jazz lounges.

This scent heavily pairs well with CIGARS/CIGARETTES. That's where this scent SHINES. You have to think, this scent was made during an era where people congregated to smoke and drink brandy and scotch, therefore the Earthy notes of tobacco pair very well with the floral scent. Not some working shmoe who is building a fence around his yard..Which brings me to my next scent.

AQUA VELVA: The quintessential summer scent. However, DO NOT wear this to work(I will have a sub category for summer). This, yes THIS my friends, is the lazy dog scent. The perfect scent for the weekends, for the backyard barbecue, for the picnic in the park.
This is for the working man or for the office man who is off of work...But never for the dapper gentlemen.
This scent is purely "America", specifically 1940's/50's America. Playing in the yard with the kids, mowing the lawn, fixing up around the house.
But when it's time for work, and it's summer? WOOWEEE, that's where you dip your toes into the classic pinaud clubman OR davidoff cool water aftershave. Both of which are strong summer scents which have a bit of a bite to them. Perfect for the go getter who wants a touch of elegance to their stride, The man who asks for a whisky neat, not the martini; But may get away with having a fine beer.

Then the leaves start fallin', whats a man to do?!
Reach for those spicy aftershaves.
But don't go overboard! Bay Rum? Yes please! But never for work! It's far far too complex. This is perfect for those get togethers, or small business dinners, keep it out of the office.
Bay rum is perfect for those gloomy fall days, the scent pairing wonderfully with the rain and the smell of leaves falling(pssst, 20% veg and 80% bay rum...You're welcome).
The complexity of this scent will send noses running to figure out what that lovely smell is that is mixing with the leaves and the fresh rain scent!...However, when at work, stick with a more linear scent, think..Pinaud special reserve; the leathery scent will give you an extra dash of class, while the cedar works its magic. It's a very great scent for the office man.

The fall generally tends to blend into winter as well, both can be used interchangeably.

One rule of thumb, with all aftershave scents...Make sure you have a pool about the size of a NICKLE in your palm...
You want it to be a flirtatious scent, not a sweaty teenager screaming "BANG ME NOW PLZ!" You want to remain mysterious, you want her(whom ever "her" may be), have to get close to you, close enough for you to open your jabber and open with some smooth lines that make her melt. She needs to wonder who that man is wearing the scent; make her search for you, make her love that scent by not letting her know until she is close to you. You must be as smooth as your scent and style though. Never a "hi".. Always a "Hello", your scent isn't saying "HEY!" or "HAI!". It's a smooth and svelt "hello" that naturally rolls of the tongue. Smooth, like a Spanish aristocrat.

Yes Gentlemen...Aftershave is an art form, and when this form is mastered, you will have all of the power in the world.

Rules of thumb #2. New scent? Date night with the lady? Married for 20 years? PERFECT!.
Tell her to meet you at the venue, never pick her up. She will LOVE the scent if you wear it right. If YOU WEAR it, don't let IT wear you. Once you pick see her(or him, whatever your case may be), you will walk up to her, take her hand and kiss it like it's the first time you met, she will take a whiff of the VEG. and she will be yours. ALL.NIGHT.LONG.

Remember, dress around your scent, don't wear your scent around your dress. Scent is the BEST proponent to your success and well being. You can wear a suit made of the feathers of a million angels, but smell like dung.
Going to reach for that veg for this outdoor cocktail get together on this warm spring night? deep greens and browns, or a navy or lighter blue suit, double breasted.

Yes, I made the VEG actually sound like it could smell good.
I'm in my 20's and have found that pairing these scents with specific times amplifies their scent. Girls my age find the veg to be completely irresistible when I pair is with appropriate clothing. Yes, the scent will smell god awful if you're wearing jeans and a button-down with dress shoes(ugh, please, never, ever, ever, ever, ever do that, no matter what your age is). Or worse yet, khakis(specifically from dockers). Make sure your hair is just as shiny as your shoes. People associate scent with your clothes. The veg takes on a different scent profile if I'm in class wearing jeans and a teeshirt. I guarantee most men who hate the veg wear dress shirts that don't fit them along with other fashion faux pas. You may not care for fashion, and if you don't then don't care too much for scent, because they go hand in hand. You may have no taste, your wife might not care(have no taste) and that's why she chose you. But I guarantee none of you fine gentlemen on here are like that.
But have taste. Have purpose in everything you do, give it purpose if it has no purpose.

You're a gentleman, and every gentleman has a purpose, whether he has a purpose or not.(yes, that sounded cool, and original, no you can't use it).

P.S..Considering what I said about the veg.
I made it smell cool...But whatever you do........DO NOT wear it to a funeral.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I apologize to of have confused you. I must admit, I'm use to first time posters, simply introducing themselves first. However, nowhere in the rules does it say that is necessary, so please, forgive me for being rude & presumptuous.

I did thoroughly enjoy reading your very first post... First. :) Welcome to B&B. You should stop by the Hall of Fame and officially introduce yourself.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of fame and introduce yourself.

interesting read,

i'd like to know where a 20 y.o. is going on the regular to gatsby like parties. veg on the reg...

id also like to know how unless someone was very close to you, how they will even smell something or know about that scent, to need to search for that person with that scent. im not a proponent of overapplication, but your setup situation seems counterintuitive.

interesting read,

i'd like to know where a 20 y.o. is going on the regular to gatsby like parties. veg on the reg...

id also like to know how unless someone was very close to you, how they will even smell something or know about that scent, to need to search for that person with that scent. im not a proponent of overapplication, but your setup situation seems counterintuitive.

Believe it or not, scent does float around. Especially outdoors where smell can travel.
You're right, I wrote that completely wrong. Sorry.

You need just the right amount for it to linger, but she needs to be close to YOU to know its YOU so smells amazing. She loves the scent, and she will have an insatiable need to fulfill the thought of the man wearing it, she will judge every OTHER man she sees based on the scent.

Now, I don't mean to fill up the whole room by scent. But the proper gentleman knows how to work a room with out being noticed, thus getting your scent around room in a discreet and inoffensive way.

We have a lot of gatsby type parties at my age...Lot of artists and such get together, science majors, etc etc.

This has to be one of the strangest love letters ever written about the veg :lol:

"The veg takes on a different scent profile if I'm in class wearing jeans and a teeshirt."

Unless your clothes carry some serious funk, the scent profile of the veg is exactly the same... it's your perception that's shifted.

Last edited:
This has to be one of the strangest love letters ever written about the veg :lol:

"The veg takes on a different scent profile if I'm in class wearing jeans and a teeshirt."

Unless your clothes carry some serious funk, the scent profile of the veg is exactly the same... it's your perception that's shifted.

Exactly, hence its profile changes. The veg will have a different perception, it will not be the smooth scent it should be, instead it will be associated with a person who likes smelling like flowers while dressing sloppy.
Like I said in my post, it all goes hand in hand.

Exactly, hence its profile changes. The veg will have a different perception, it will not be the smooth scent it should be, instead it will be associated with a person who likes smelling like flowers while dressing sloppy.
Like I said in my post, it all goes hand in hand.

I agree with this. I would never wear the Veg bowling, for example. That's Old Spice or AV.. I could see how it wouldn't be a good thing for a scent to clash harshly with the surroundings or situation. I wouldn't wear Azzaro Chrome to a funeral, for example (that is, if I owned it, which I doubt I ever will).

Top Bottom