What's new

Aggressive or mild; what does that mean?

I've been wet shaving for years, but only came here recently to learn how to use an SR. Now, I'm seeing posts referring to aggressive or mild razors, but haven't found a definition for either term. Just what do they mean, and how, if at all, do they apply to straight razors?

It refers to how much blade feel a razor has and is only referring to safety razors (double edge and singe edge). It has no relation to straight razors as obviously the entire blade is exposed all of the time.

Thanx! I was getting the impression that it had to do with the angle of the blade, which is at least partly in the shaver's control.

Thanx! I was getting the impression that it had to do with the angle of the blade, which is at least partly in the shaver's control.
It has more to do with the blade gap of the safety razor, which is not controlled by the user.

Last edited:
Blade angle is a factor but it’s not the only one when it comes to the mild/aggressive equation. And as stated above it only applies to SE and DE razors

When I think aggressive, this classic old album cover comes to mind ...

proxy.php

Top Bottom