What's new

Against hoppy beer

I'm somewhat "hopped" out. I love exploring hop flavor and lots of late boil hop additions, as well as dry hopping in my home-brewed beer. I like using stuff other than the ubiquitous "3C's" (centennial, cascade, columbus) which have too much of a citrusy/grapefruit flavor, high alpha acids with little or no deep flavors.

The American craft beer insustry is awesome, but its kind of annoying that to be considered a "real" brewery you must have a pale ale and an IPA. Usually places will carry both from each brewery, so its hard to find something other than Pale Ales and IPAs. Where are my seasonal Hefes and Wits? What about some more solid ESBs or even a bitter? Just an awesome balanced session beer.

Don't even get me started on Black IPAs...

I did just have an awesome IPA (well Imperial IPA) recently. The Green Flash Palate Wrecker. Great maltiness, awesome hop flavor.

You know that "Oud Bruin" is a Dutch phrase? I don't like it, btw, too sweet.

Yes we do. I love sour beers of all kinds, but tend to like the Flanders Red more than the browns.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php#1c

Last edited:
I never realized that the Dutch / Flemish word would be used abroad.

Yea, the American craft beer movement is pretty good about preserving and seeking out traditional styles without renaming or Americanizing them. We use a lot of German terms too. Dopplebock, Eisbock, Maibock, Helles Bock, Schwarzbier, Kolsch. French - Biere de Garde, Saison, etc.

Yea, the American craft beer movement is pretty good about preserving and seeking out traditional styles without renaming or Americanizing them. We use a lot of German terms too. Dopplebock, Eisbock, Maibock, Helles Bock, Schwarzbier, Kolsch. French - Biere de Garde, Saison, etc.

That's my ignorance then ... I know absolutely nothing about American beers, or American beer culture.

In my defense, I probably have not tried even half of all the European beers, so I haven't had time for the Americans yet :wink2:

I'm definitely a hop-head, but it needs to be done with a purpose and within the scope of the whole beer. You can't just dump a ton of hops into a beer and not provide enough of a malty backbone to add a touch of sweet to complement the hops. By making a massively hoppy beer that still manages to maintain a sort of balance that brings layers and complexity, one has created a craft beer. Dumping a ton of hops into an existing IPA recipe w/o compensating for the flavor/balance change is just a kid toying around in the kitchen. The same goes for overly dark stouts. Don't just give me black, charred malt. Give me that plus supporting flavors that lend complexity. Beer is no different than wine in that it needs a good nose, good attack, supportive mid palate and a finish that evolves as it fades. Give a beer those 4 things and you can take almost any one component to the extreme and still have a well crafted beer. Will everyone like it? Nope, but that's okay so long as it's well done.

That's my ignorance then ... I know absolutely nothing about American beers, or American beer culture.

In my defense, I probably have not tried even half of all the European beers, so I haven't had time for the Americans yet :wink2:
No, not ignorance at all! America has been known throughout the world for its terrible beer until VERY recently. Actually, we are still known for it! The past 10 years have seen an exponential growth in what we call "craft beer". Basically a ton of small local, and regional breweries making a lot of awesome beer. Europe has beer history, but at this point in the game America has surpassed pretty much everywhere except maybe Belgium.

The craft beer movement is kind of the anti-Macro Lager (budweiser etc) force. In the true American fashion, craft breweries have tried to make things bigger, and more extreme. Thats led to big hoppy IPAs, huge roasty Imperial Stouts, bourbon barrel aged beers, smoked beers, chili beers etc. You name it, an American brewery has done it.

Thanks for the article. I've never been much of a hop head and we're coming tithe time of year where the PA and IPAs rule the shelves. Give me the lagers, marzens, porters and stouts.

I'm definitely a hop-head, but it needs to be done with a purpose and within the scope of the whole beer. You can't just dump a ton of hops into a beer and not provide enough of a malty backbone to add a touch of sweet to complement the hops. By making a massively hoppy beer that still manages to maintain a sort of balance that brings layers and complexity, one has created a craft beer. Dumping a ton of hops into an existing IPA recipe w/o compensating for the flavor/balance change is just a kid toying around in the kitchen. The same goes for overly dark stouts. Don't just give me black, charred malt. Give me that plus supporting flavors that lend complexity. Beer is no different than wine in that it needs a good nose, good attack, supportive mid palate and a finish that evolves as it fades. Give a beer those 4 things and you can take almost any one component to the extreme and still have a well crafted beer. Will everyone like it? Nope, but that's okay so long as it's well done.
Well said.

sleepy

The past 10 years have seen an exponential growth in what we call "craft beer". Basically a ton of small local, and regional breweries making a lot of awesome beer. Europe has beer history, but at this point in the game America has surpassed pretty much everywhere except maybe Belgium.
I wonder if the Germans agree on that :wink2:

Actually there still are quite some small specialized breweries in Germany, that produce very good beers. I prefer them over most Belgian beers. But I fear that only the "larger brands" are exported out of the country (fortunately both Germany and Belgium are close by here).

I guess it's the same with the American craft beers; they are probably not exported to other parts of the world.

I wonder if the Germans agree on that :wink2:
Doesn't much matter if they agree. Nowhere will you get the selection, and depth of beer styles and (arguably) knowledge of beer making as in any major American city (with a handful leading the pack). The Germans made huge, massive strides in the standardization, production, quality, and knowledge of beer in general, but the movement is now happening in the USA. German styles are tasty to be sure, but not really too inventive at this point in time.

Doesn't much matter if they agree. Nowhere will you get the selection, and depth of beer styles and (arguably) knowledge of beer making as in any major American city (with a handful leading the pack). The Germans made huge, massive strides in the standardization, production, quality, and knowledge of beer in general, but the movement is now happening in the USA. German styles are tasty to be sure, but not really too inventive at this point in time.

That may be very true ... but it's also irrelevant for me, since I am nowhere near any American city :wink2:

Btw, I really think you don't know the wealth of the German "family breweries" ... which probably is irrelevant to you as well, of course, since those local breweries don't export to the USA.

That may be very true ... but it's also irrelevant for me, since I am nowhere near any American city :wink2:

Btw, I really think you don't know the wealth of the German "family breweries" ... which probably is irrelevant to you as well, of course, since those local breweries don't export to the USA.
I can agree with that. The important thing is that everyone has plenty of tasty beer, the rest is just splitting hairs.

Add wheat to this story too. It seems like most tap selections I see these days are a variety of hoppy and wheaty beers, plus Guinness.

Although my personal exception to being generally anti-hops is 21st Amendment's Back in Black IPA. That's a fine brew.

DiG,
At least to me wheat beers are drinkable, however I understand your point. It seems that when one brewery has success in one style, others are quick to jump on. Even the bigger breweries are starting doing it. I think I just saw Molson introduce a wheat beer recently.

I guess I have a taste for hops and malt in balance, like with an English Pale Ale. My best beer experience was probably in an Exeter pub called the Pump House. Mellow, hoppy, malty beer served around 50F, and hand pumped from the keg, so it wasn't too carbonated. Seemed to have lower alcohol content than recent American craft brew, so you could really enjoy larger quantities of it.

Worst beer? Anything from Senegal, followed by Peru.

Top Bottom