What's new

Advice on Premium Razor Choice Please

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Where does your Fatip fit in your razor ranking? And have you tried the Fatip OC Slant? You might save yourself a bunch of money. ;)

If you want to go for a high end razor (with matching price >$100US), I have, use and can recommend the following razors:

Charcoal Goods Level 2 (while you still can)
Blackland Sabre (GEM-style SE blade)
Colonial General (AC-style SE blade)
Blackland Blackbird (my personal preference is for the SB plate)
Timeless 0.95 (my personal preference is for the Ti 0.68-SB)
Karve Brass (my personal preference is for the SB-C and SB-D plates)

I'm getting a Blackland Vector (AC-style SE blade) for Father's Day and will be able to report back on the Vector soon. :)

So which one to buy? Every one of these razors gets the job done comfortably and efficiently. They require slightly different technique and feel differently when they do their job. Some have more audible feedback than others. Certain razors match up better with different blades.

Bottom line: If buying new, check out the return policy. Search for blade recommendations for the razor you select here at B&B and get a blade sampler that includes a variety of those blades.

There is no substitute for shaving with a razor over time to tell you how it meets, or does not meet, your needs.

Finally, have fun with your journey. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I thought Paradigm Diamondback 2020 was a limited run and is now sold out?
Is there likely to be a second batch available?
The last time I heard from Andy he was working on a new version of the Javelin in Titanium. I have seen 2 Diamondbacks on the BST in the last couple of weeks

Where does your Fatip fit in your razor ranking? And have you tried the Fatip OC Slant? You might save yourself a bunch of money. ;)

If you want to go for a high end razor (with matching price >$100US), I have, use and can recommend the following razors:

Charcoal Goods Level 2 (while you still can)
Blackland Sabre (GEM-style SE blade)
Colonial General (AC-style SE blade)
Blackland Blackbird (my personal preference is for the SB plate)
Timeless 0.95 (my personal preference is for the Ti 0.68-SB)
Karve Brass (my personal preference is for the SB-C and SB-D plates)

I'm getting a Blackland Vector (AC-style SE blade) for Father's Day and will be able to report back on the Vector soon. :)

So which one to buy? Every one of these razors gets the job done comfortably and efficiently. They require slightly different technique and feel differently when they do their job. Some have more audible feedback than others. Certain razors match up better with different blades.

Bottom line: If buying new, check out the return policy. Search for blade recommendations for the razor you select here at B&B and get a blade sampler that includes a variety of those blades.

There is no substitute for shaving with a razor over time to tell you how it meets, or does not meet, your needs.

Finally, have fun with your journey. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Love my picolo but not for daily driver. Fatip is without doubt the best value in wet shaving, and will last a lifetime. But, I'm looking to buy not just a great shaver but also a show piece razor. I am considering the Blackbird. Thanks and I hope you enjoy the Vector!

Currently the baseplate on my Ti Carbon is SS++ I am waiting on the Ti++ baseplate the Timeless OC in the picture is my .68OC I also have the .95 in OC/SB The Carbon has the most blade feel followed by the 95 then very little on .68. For me the Carbon is a tad more efficient than the 95 but not by much and the .68 OC is probably my favorite daily driver

Currently the baseplate on my Ti Carbon is SS++ I am waiting on the Ti++ baseplate the Timeless OC in the picture is my .68OC I also have the .95 in OC/SB The Carbon has the most blade feel followed by the 95 then very little on .68. For me the Carbon is a tad more efficient than the 95 but not by much and the .68 OC is probably my favorite daily driver
Thanks again

A lot of great suggestions here. Although not universally loved, my favorite is the Rex Ambassador. Some find it harsh, but I, like many others, find it smooth & efficient. For me, the magic is in the handling—the knurling, heft & balance—it’s unreal. Balance is perfect and knurling is better than the pictures would have you believe. It’s almost magnetic—feels like it sticks to your hand, and the adjustment dial adds a fantastic ergonomic element—for resting index finger & maneuvering during shaving. Lastly, I’ve really enjoyed how the adjustability has allowed & helped me up my game—turning up the dial as my skills improved—and gives flexibility for what level of shave I’m in the mood for.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Love my picolo but not for daily driver. Fatip is without doubt the best value in wet shaving, and will last a lifetime. But, I'm looking to buy not just a great shaver but also a show piece razor. I am considering the Blackbird. Thanks and I hope you enjoy the Vector!
The Blackbird is a world class razor that will serve you well. It certainly performs well and provides great results.

I also need to add the Rex Envoy to the list I provided. Another top flight razor that performs well and provides great results.

Good luck. :)

Another new company that is getting very high praise for the shave & incredible polished finish is the Haircut & Shave Co NO75. Worth reading up on at least. That & the Ti Timeless .95.

Wolfman is probably considered the pinnacle of "premium" razors by many here, and the others are not chopped liver. Depends on what you want to spend, and how long you're willing to wait. All of them can deliver a "premium" shave.

Top Bottom