What's new

Advice on Premium Razor Choice Please

Hello all!

I don't know about you but I could use a pleasant distraction right about now!

Either for my birthday or Christmas, I am planning to purchase my first really high end, premium razor. I have a Slim, a Fatboy, a Game Changer, a Muhle Rocca, a Merfur Futur and a Fatip Piccolo. Of those, my favorites are the .84 Game Changer SB and the Slim. Both feel and shave great. For me, the Game Changer is the smoothest, but not by much. The Slim is a close second in smoothness and at higher settings is more efficient. I like the adjustability of the Slim, as I can crank it up for the WTG pass and dial it down for ATG.

I'm looking for the same level of smoothness without losing efficiency, in a premium stainless steel or titanium offering. I'm considering the Timeless .95, the Taiga, Carbon Shaving, or maybe making the jump to the WR2 in 1.15 blade gap. Thoughts? Suggestions? Smoothness, adequate efficiency for daily shaves of my course beard, fit and finish are the key points.

Thanks!

I am biased towards my newly acquired Timeless .95 TiOC. Fit, finish, smoothness, efficiency...it has it all in spades.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Go for an SE razor like the Blackland Vector or Sabre, or Colonial General V2. They're smooth and efficient, and the aggression on the AC razors can be varied by using different blades, with some being slightly thicker and also wider from front to back than others.

I’ll throw out an idea/razor that you didn’t mention. The Blackland Tradere. It comes in either Open Comb or Safety Bar. Reading the reviews of the original Tradere and then the thread about Blackland Razors bringing it back was awesome. There is also a review of the Blackland Tradere on our forum. I had to order one. It gives me the opportunity to try a classic that I missed originally. This is not a knockoff. Shane (@Blackland Razors ) worked directly with the original designer of the Tradere. To bring a beloved razor back to our community.
I also own two Timeless Razors and they are fantastic. I love them.
mom anxiously waiting for my Blackland Tradere SB.
Both Blackland Razors and Timeless Razors are known for their design, excellent craftsmanship, and stellar customer service.
Good luck with your decision.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'd look at all of the high-end razors and see which one tugs at you. Charcoal Goods is a name I haven't seen listed in this thread that some members think is great. I just got a Timeless. The Blackland Tradere is a beautiful looking razor. So many choices.

I’ll throw out an idea/razor that you didn’t mention. The Blackland Tradere. It comes in either Open Comb or Safety Bar. Reading the reviews of the original Tradere and then the thread about Blackland Razors bringing it back was awesome. There is also a review of the Blackland Tradere on our forum. I had to order one. It gives me the opportunity to try a classic that I missed originally. This is not a knockoff. Shane (@Blackland Razors ) worked directly with the original designer of the Tradere. To bring a beloved razor back to our community.
Both Blackland Razors and Timeless Razors are known for their design, excellent craftsmanship, and stellar customer service.
I came into this thread to also make the recommendation for the Blackland Tradere. I was one of those fortunate enough to have purchased the 2nd generation Tradere (safety bar version) back in 2012 or maybe early 2013. Anyway, a beautiful and fantastic razor.

Timeless Ti would be a good choice. Also the Rex Ambassador is worth considering. It's one of the smoothest shaving razors I've got and it's adjustable.

It would be very hard to beat the Tatara Nodachi in the fit and finish department or the smoothness department.
Some of the others mentioned are nice razors that I wouldn't mind test driving or even owning. Especially Carbon shaving. I really like those.
You will not find any tooling marks on a Tatara. It is machined to perfection 100%.

Tatara razors are beautiful and extremely well balanced. If you think the Nodachi might be too aggressive, consider the Masamune, with either safety bar or open comb (or both for variety). The stand is nice too.

Well let me tell you my adventure. 10 years DE shaving all the best Gillette’s British, red tip, blue tip aristocrat about 20 of the best I could find. Them about a year and a half with straights once again only the best and honed by Doc266. Well I will be sell all but a few straights. I now shave with a SS Timeless .95. I just don’t think you could top that. Matt at Timeless was amazing to deal with and I did not half to wait a life time on some waiting list. Right blade right razor. If I would have known I would have saved a lot of money. My back up razor is a feather. Hope this helps. It worked for me.

I'd love to read a Timeless vs Tradere comparison when you're ready! Thanks very much.
Well let me tell you my adventure. 10 years DE shaving all the best Gillette’s British, red tip, blue tip aristocrat about 20 of the best I could find. Them about a year and a half with straights once again only the best and honed by Doc266. Well I will be sell all but a few straights. I now shave with a SS Timeless .95. I just don’t think you could top that. Matt at Timeless was amazing to deal with and I did not half to wait a life time on some waiting list. Right blade right razor. If I would have known I would have saved a lot of money. My back up razor is a feather. Hope this helps. It worked for me.
Thanks very much for sharing! The Timeless SS in .95 is where my heads at right now. I'm curious about the Ti .95 but I don't like the handle style or length as much as the SS 100mm barber pole. And everyone seems to confirm its a super smooth shaver. Thanks again!

I have half a dozen or so modern razors that are all expensive. I could easily live with only one of any of them. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any of them. The bst often has pristine kit from someone who is buying basically everything just to try them and then selling them off.

I'd love to read a Timeless vs Tradere comparison when you're ready! Thanks very much.

Thanks very much for sharing! The Timeless SS in .95 is where my heads at right now. I'm curious about the Ti .95 but I don't like the handle style or length as much as the SS 100mm barber pole. And everyone seems to confirm its a super smooth shaver. Thanks again!
Call Matt at Timeless he went through everything with me so I picked the right razor. You will not be disappointed. Timeless is first class and great to deal with.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
So many good choices and recommendations here i had to stop reading to quell rad! But ill echo timeless love. Ihave ss. Look also at karve. Or charcoal goods before it's gone. Timeless has a return policy and sells returned items at a slight discount. In stock ready to ship is amazing and puts it over the top. SOme highly touted razors are expensive and you "buy" and wait years to get. No thanks. LOL.

A lot of great suggestions so far...
Definitely recommend Timeless Ti .95.
Great balance of efficiency and incredible smoothness, and the Titanium has a softer face feel, and gives it greater manoeuvrability due to being lighter compared to SS.

Some suggestions
Paradigm Diamondback
Yates Precision Manufacturing
Charcoal Goods
Carbon Titanium
Timeless Titanium
CFD86EDB-C513-4F5F-8002-E7D223541D54.jpeg

Top Bottom