What's new

Adjustable Weight Handle (pif)

It seems that the ideal weight and balance of a handle is a very personal thing. Some folks say that titanium makes a handle of ideal weight, some say it's too light. Some like stainless, some say it's too heavy. Same for brass. I thought maybe a bored out aluminum handle with a screw on cap that could be filled with whatever gives the ideal feel for that person might be a good idea. So I made one.

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

The handle is machined from solid 6061 aluminum with a coarse conventional knurling.
I left the diamond points sharp. If the winner doesn't like the sharp points, a little sandpaper will take the harshness off.
The barrel is the same diameter as a Gillette Common Bar Handle.
The nipple is threaded 10-32. The pilot hole goes right through to the chamber. I plugged the hole from the inside by pressing a .177 lead airgun pellet in from inside the chamber. I mention this because if your weighting material gets stuck in the chamber, a sturdy piece of wire pushed through from the nipple end will push out the weights. Just replace the pellet afterwards to prevent ingress of soap and water into the chamber. The weights you see in the photo are lead. They are leftovers from a Walther match pistol in .32 S&W Long I once owned. If the winner isn't comfortable with lead, I won't send them. You can use any or all of the weights. The chamber is large enough to admit a standard wood pencil to use as a spacer if you decide to use less than all the weights. You could weight the handle toward the top or bottom depending where you put a spacer. The cap is threaded 3/8-24. However, the threads only go into the chamber enough for the machined cap. The nipple is the same diameter as the Gillette Common bar handle, so the handle can be used on a New Short or Long Comb as well as others.

This pif is international. I'll pay shipping.
This pif is of particular interest to a member who has struggled to find a properly weighted handle (for them).
I would like the winner to tell us their observations and suggestions, perhaps with a few better pics than I have posted.

To qualify:
Be a member for at least 3 months with at least 50 posts. (sorry newbies -I'll pif a different handle later for newbies only)
Say "I'm in" with a few sentences describing the different handles you have or are currently using.

I'll let this run for a few days and pick a winner.

Cheers!

What a brilliant idea and a great pif! You sir are awesome. Add some different ends and you could have adjustable lengths. Machine out of different materials to suit almost anyone. You have the makings of an entire product line but I am sure you already know that. Thanks for sharing! Respectfully not in.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I already have one of your masterpieces! I'll (reluctantly) sit this one out sir.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
That is a brilliant idea, and I'm in!!! I've found stainless (Weber and RazoRock) and solid brass (no name) too heavy, and titanium (a RazoRock Halo) a touch too light (and too long at 100mm) -- so I've been searching for the "Goldilocks" handle (i.e., the one that's just right!).

I’m in. I’m a fan of heavier handles and would replace some hollow handles with this one.

- Ken
[emoji1690]

Im in. I have old type ball end gillettes new type gillette handles and my rockwell handles along with the handles on my razorock hawk.alot of these are light so a heavier handle would be nice.. It would probably go on the bevel head i currently have a new type handle on it would be a great match !!!!!!!!!

A great PIF. The handle looks fantastic.
Respectfully not in as I don't think I have noticed handle weight being an issue on any razor so this would probably be wasted on me :)

Great idea for weight adjustment! Beautifully crafted grip! A great pif! Praise the Master!!! But I'm out of the game. Regards, Eugene.

I'm in. That is the best handle I have ever seen. I have a Gillette new long comb (love the head) which has a slightly bent handle and have been looking for a heavier replacement.

I'm in, great idea and a fine example @Ricksplace
I love the maple leaf etched in the end cap, nice detail.
I have some razors that have handles that never felt good. I have experimented with a common bar handle that had the end missing but find it difficult to adjust the position of the weight in the handle.

Brilliant idea sir! I'm the recipient of your Futur clone handle, which I won in a pif a year or two ago. You are a master, I continue to enjoy the handle you sent. Respectfully, not in.

Yabba dabba doo !!
@Flintstone65 is the winner! I'm glad your name came out of the hat. You have been working your butt off sponsoring the OCtober thread (well over 50 pages!) Pm your mailing address to me and I'll ship it out. I'll put a few tucks (2 or 3 should fit) of blades in the bubble mailer too. Tell me what blades you would like to try from these:
GSB, 7 o'clock Yellows and India greens, Astra sp, Nacet, Personna Israeli red, Silver Star, Dorco Prime, Gillette Wilkies (India & Chinese), Supermax Blue Diamond and Diamond Edge, Derby Premium.

Thank you so much for the kind comments everyone! I'm really not interested in going into production on any of the items I've made. I enjoy making an idea come to life and learning some new skills in the process. I've learned that clean, symmetrical knurling is a lot more difficult to make than I thought! If anyone would like to use a design of mine please feel free to do so! I'll even draw up some sketches with dimensions for you. (Which would be a first, since the build details are all in my head).
@Ramathorn -the maple leaf is made with a hardened steel punch. I bought it from a guy on Prince Edward Island through Etsy. One whack with a 4lb machinists hammer does it, but only on soft metals like brass and aluminum.
@bdehne -based on your idea of different caps for the chamber, I bought a 3/8x24 bolt to turn down for a heavier cap to add more weight on the bottom of the handle (if desired). The only suitable bolt I could find in the hardware store I was in was a grade 8 bolt that the clerk assured me was stainless*. So I figured I'd splurge $0.52. Grade 8 bolts are harder than woodpecker lips, but can be cut with carbide tooling. I have included the machined cap from the bolt along with the aluminum cap. No knurling or maple leaf on it since the base metal is too hard.
*I'm not so sure it's stainless. Fred: if it rusts, paint it or throw it away.
@lancre -I forgot about that handle I made from a .375 H&H cartridge casing! That gives me an idea for a diy pif for members to make their own creations...
@Yyragtoj -handle weight doesn't matter to me either!

Edit: I included a piece of rubber pond liner that can be used to stop the weights from rattling. Easy to cut a piece with scissors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom