What's new

Adjustable Razor Anatomy: A Basic Terminology Guide

Hey guys... I am going to put a terminology guide up on my website, but I wanted to vet it with everyone before I did. Any comments are super-sincerely appreciated! Please feel free to tear it up. This is a working document. Thank you.

Base-G.jpg

Achim the thing labeled "J1" and "J2" are both part of the thing called "Silo Door" on my drawing. Naming this part of the Silo Door is like naming a part of a part. But, I would call it the "Hinge Tab of the Silo Door".

The thing labeled "H3" and "H4" are both part of the thing called "Door Actuator" on my drawing. Again this is part of a part. I wouldn't give it a name I would just say "Bottom edge of the Door Actuator".

Comments? How does this all sound? Reasonable?

Achim, It would be great if we were all on the same page. Feel free to use any terminology photo we come up with on your website. I am not a stickler for copyrights. I just want to get the info out there. Or, if you want to use the same terminology or names we come up with in your own photo with your red back ground branded way, please do.

ToggleBOM-C.jpg

I just did this rough cut too. It is easier to see the parts and their names when they are individualized.

Great post! It looks like I've been calling the Blade Bed the Base Plate and the Base Plate the Adjuster Plate. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbup1:

Good stuff Glenn.

Just curious, but I thought all components (or most if not all) of a patent design would be incorporated into the patent application that was filed. Was this not the case with Gillette razors?

Good stuff Glenn.

Just curious, but I thought all components (or most if not all) of a patent design would be incorporated into the patent application that was filed. Was this not the case with Gillette razors?

PatDraw.jpg

Here is the original patent drawing. The names they use are too technical or not in common use. For example. What I called the "Micrometer Adjustment Dial or Adjuster" the patent calls "54 - Finger Knob" or what I called the "Blade Bed" the patent calls "28 - Guard ". No one calls the dial a finger knob. I think we are free to do what we want. I have only been doing this for 4 years and picked up the common terms as people have used them along the way. But, I am the new kid and that's why I'm posting. I would like to formalize things on common names a bit.

The thing I'm calling the "Base Plate", the patent calls "24 - Platform". Patent calls "20 - Handle" so that is the same.

Last edited:
View attachment 777862

Here is the original patent drawing. The names they use are too technical or not in common use. For example. What I called the "Micrometer Adjustment Dial or Adjuster" the patent calls "54 - Finger Knob" or what I called the "Blade Bed" the patent calls "28 - Guard Member"?? No one calls the dial a finger knob. I think we are free to do what we want. I have only been doing this for 4 years and picked up the common terms as people have used them along the way. But, I am the new kid and that's why I'm posting. I would like to formalize things on common names a bit.

Hehe! The original Gillette descriptors leave a lot to be desired! Thanks for that info Glenn, very cool stuff.

Great post! It looks like I've been calling the Blade Bed the Base Plate and the Base Plate the Adjuster Plate. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbup1:

Troy, I could be wrong too. I just have always heard it that, in general like Fatboys for instance, the manufacturing date code was stamped into the "Base Plate".

Last edited:
Hi,

Base Plate came from earlier models, so would be fine to use it here as well. Probably save some amount of confusion.

The End Caps cover what I would call the Hinge Arms. That whole piece is formed (bent) during mfg to put the Hinge Pins thru the Hinge Holes in the Doors. This was the end result of evolution. Originally, they pressed four pins in during assembly (1934). That must have been quite time consuming. Next, they used hollow rivets (1936 or so). By 1940 or so, we see this scheme, which they then kept.

On the odd names, it is always up to the lead design engineer to name all the bits. so, they do not always make sense to anyone else.... ;)

Stan

So I now have an idea about Achim's terminology. He is calling a "Base Plate" what I am calling a "Blade Bed". He is calling a "Bottom Plate" what I am calling a "Base Plate" and what Troy calls an "Adjuster Plate". But Stan is right, for the non-adjustable razors, the thing that gets stamped with the manufacture's date code people call a "Base Plate", but the "Blade Bed" and "Base Plate" are the same thing for a non-adjustable razor. I wanted something simple to and common sense to call they things. I do like "Blade Bed" because that is where the Blade rests. To me that makes sense. Also, calling the thing that gets stamped with the date code a "Base Plate" is consistent with earlier razors.

Sorry, I was hoping for some consistency and simplicity - I am not trying to complicate anyone's world. Everyone's eyes are glazing over at this point I'm sure.

A bit of technical background: Patent Attorneys usually hire a competent drafter to produce Patent drawings, but then the attorney usually has some one in their legal department write up the description. Its an imperfect marriage of highly technical (the drafter) and the untechnical (the patent writer). I've spent many an afternoon wondering where they come up with these names. Even spending a few minutes with the inventor could make for better part names, let alone asking the person that drew the thing.

So, where is Captain Murphy when you need him? Well I am going through his posts right now!

Me: Service Port - CM: Retainer Cap
Me: Handle - CM: Middle Barrel Section
Me: Adjuster - CM: Adjuster Knob or Adjuster Ring
Me: Blade Bed - CM: Blade Plate

More to follow...

Me: Silo Doors - CM: Silo Doors
Me: Door Actuator - CM: Door Assembly

Oh and at times he does call the "Blade Plate" the "Blade Bed", so I'm going to keep that one. I like some of CM's terms better, so I'm going to change "Handle" to "Middle Barrel" and change "Service Port" to "Retainer Cap".

I do like "Door Actuator" better than "Door Assembly" though, so I'm going to keep my term. Or, maybe change it to "Door Actuator Assembly".

New picture to follow....

PartListTerminologyV2-Monitor.jpg

Based on Captain Murphy's posts in his repair threads, I have made a couple of changes. Please note the "Version 2" designation at the bottom of the photo. I feel we are on pretty firm footing now. Does this work for everybody?

Top Bottom