What's new

Parker Variant: Impressive performance for modest price

I was fortunate to pick up this razor on the BST. Today's shave:

Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Astra SP (3rd use)
Pre-shave: Viking's Blade pre-shave cream
Lather: Rex Supply 1955 soap*
Aftershave: Rex 1955 splash*

*While in Phoenix AZ on Saturday at Razor Emporium I picked up Rex 1955 shave soap and splash. This scent gets a hearty stamp of approval from the war department, and the soap performance is very good. But back to my review of the Variant...

I think this one is an earlier model because "INDIA" isn't stamped on the bottom of the handle. Some have said these older models had some QC issues with alignment and adjustment, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this one. With the blade inserted it tightens down to "1" just like it's supposed to, there are no blade alignment issues that I can see, and the adjuster dial raises and lowers the head gap just as I would expect. In any case, from what I've heard, the QC issues have largely been ironed out for the current production runs.

I set the adjustment dial to 2.5 on the dial for the initial shave. I tend to prefer more "aggressive" razors, and this seemed like a good "middle of the road" initial setting. I was pleasantly surprised! The razor's weight, balance, and efficiency are very good, particularly at this price point. It gave me a very efficient and irritation-free shave that was refreshing after using a cartridge razor for a couple of days while I was out of town.

With regards to comparing the Variant to the Merkur Progress: I have never used a Progress, but if it shaves like the Variant I can see why so many like it. The Variant also seems to have quite a few fans and I can see why: The Variant shaves very well indeed. (I think the Variant looks better than the Progress, but that's just my personal preference.)

IMO the Variant is quite a nice adjustable razor that performs very well considering its fairly modest price (~ $60 US). If you're looking for an adjustable razor for a modest price, the Variant might just be what you're looking for.

Enjoy your shaves!

Great review of the Parker! This might be the adjustable I try out down the road. Now the review on the 1955?! I got the sample from this weekend and now I might have to go back and get the soap and splash like you did!

Absolutely great razor. I bought two. One to store in case the other one breaks in 20 years and they don't make them anymore.
Not a bad idea for any razor that performs well. Particularly for a modestly priced one!

I think parker's de razors are underrated as hell. I recently bought 5 parker de razors and I love then all.

parker 91r
parker 65r
parker 69cr
parker 64s

it is weird because the heads on the 91r and 69cr don't say made in india and the other heads on the 64s and 65r do. I wonder why that is.

With regards to comparing the Variant to the Merkur Progress: I have never used a Progress, but if it shaves like the Variant I can see why so many like it. The Variant also seems to have quite a few fans and I can see why: The Variant shaves very well indeed. (I think the Variant looks better than the Progress, but that's just my personal preference.)
It's a pity you didn't try the Merkur Progress, but the imitation. That's it, I said it. :c1:

It's a pity you didn't try the Merkur Progress, but the imitation. That's it, I said it. :c1:
The Variant is really quite good and I hear it is pretty similar to the Progress, so I don't have a lot of motivation to try the Progress. Perhaps one day...

The Variant is indeed a very good razor. I also use it on 2.5 (mine dials down below 1), so that equates to a 3 on my Fatboy/Slim.

I had both the Variant and a Progress for a while and found they both shave the same. I PIFed the Progress because the handle was harder to grip with soapy hands.

I used the Variant this morning on 3.5 with some brushless shave gel and a Derby Extra blade. The shave comfort and results were surprisingly good.

I don't know what it is about this razor's design, but it works really well for me. The only potential downsides are the fact that the head profile is fairly tall and the top cap is cast metal. Aside from these, I'd say that if you're considering a modern adjustable, I think it's hard to go wrong with this one.

Top Bottom