What's new

Adjustable alternative to replace Merkur Futur?

I've been a very happy Merkur Futur user for probably 10 years.

However, it's finally failed and it's down to the disappointing use of Mazak cast metal that has quite simply rotted and fatigued away, leaving the bridge distorted. Plus the 'nip' that stops the handle rotating past its stop has also worn seeming to allow it to become VERY adjustable!

So, yes, I can get replacement parts but it's tired in any case (worn through to the nickel/copper underplates) and it's time to replace.

I could buy another but unless they've changed them I don't want cast (white) metal.

What I have enjoyed is the (a) heft and weight and (b) adjustability.

I'm a bit out of touch with the best in the marketplace, so what would you recommend which maintains those attributes? I'm willing to get something good and would like a fabulously engineered replacement for my next 10 years...!

Thanks chaps.

Yikes, the Futur is quite an aggressive razor, from what I have read.

The Rex Ambassador is all stainless steel, has a health amount of blade feel and is adjustable.

Yaqi made a Gibbs inspired model as well the Yaqi adjustable TFC, also Zamak but very affordable or the Yaqi adjustable brass, which is - unsurprisingly - made out of brass.

The Rex Konsul is pretty high regarded, has a slanted head but is even more expensive than the Ambassador and has less blade feel.

There's also the vintage tour with Gillette slim, black beauty or fat boy having proved they will last longer than your Futur.

Pearl Flexi on the cheap, brass - most run well some don’t

Rex Ambassador, stainless steel - the „inspiration“ for the Flexi

a simple Ming Shi Futur clone - Zamak but only a couple of bucks in contrast to the original

"Your budget" would be irrelevant, as apparently you only buy a razor every 20 years or so.

I would recommend one of these: a vintage Gillette Fat Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable in excellent condition.
Some of the old timers that come back must Be surprised by the way the market is now. He started when Merkur or vintage was really the only options. Not even sure if Above the Tie was making theirs yet.

I looked through his old posts out of curiosity and he was one of the early guys that used his slim at 9 with a feather blade. Probably doesn’t want another Gillette adjustable. I’ll agree that If his merkur treated him well for that long it may be the best thing for him, maybe even two or three so if anything happens to the company he has a backup. I don’t think many companies cater much on the aggressive adjustable scale. I‘ve read the Rocnel Sailor can but that is a pretty steep price, especially if he doesn’t like it

There is always the R41 and evidently a stainless version exist, just not adjustable.

My best shaves with an adjustable are with a Merkur Progress. I have a Rockwell Model T, Pearl Flexi, Parker Variant, Yaqi Final Cut, Gillette Slim, Gillette Super Adjustable, Merkur Futur, and maybe a few more that escape me at the moment and the Progress wins on shave quality. It’s not a particularly beautiful razor, if that matters to you, but that’s the only negative I can think of.

Good luck choosing your new razor!

What about the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Copper Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb Safety Razor? It is intriguing and something I would consider if I were in the market for an adjustable.

OP, I'd highly recommend a vintage fatboy in excellent condition for you. It'll never rot away, and if you like the heft of the futur it'll be right up your alley.

Ok I have the Yaqui Final Cut( It is a good adjustable especially for the money) The Perl Flexi(A heavy well made razor similar in weight to futur and a smooth shaver worth the money) Aluminum ascension and the nickel version (not a traditional adjustable and I personally don’t use it as an adjustable But I do like it)

I have the Gillette Aristocrat, Pearl Flexi, Progress and Emperor MEIJI for de and Supply Pro and Schick M for se. The M is recent and is the best.

It's morning here in the UK, so thanks to all who posted during my 'overnight'.

I actually have at least five razors - the Futur obviously, plus 4 Gillettes including two adjustables including the FatBoy. Whilst I like the heftier Gillettes, and couldn't agree more re the durability (Hence the fact they we're buying minters at tens of years old), there is something about the even greater heft of the Futur that works for me with a tough beard..

I did have an Ikon open comb (precise name I forget), but sold it a few years back. Seemed well made but essentially 'in between' everything I had.

Also considered something large in Titanium but that seemed a bit counterproductive as although not completely sure, I think it's as much weight as size, so Ti would be going backwards.

The Yaqi FC looks the part but I believe has white metal casting head parts, which is what I intend to avoid. Yes I got ten years out of similar in the Futur, but having dissembled it a couple of times, I've watched time take its toll on such materials.

Pearl Flexi could be an answer.

Needless to say in the World we currently seem to live in, many of these choices are 'Out of Stock'...

This morning I will need to use one of the Gillettes! Will see how it goes as not used any in a while.

I've been a very happy Merkur Futur user for probably 10 years.

However, it's finally failed and it's down to the disappointing use of Mazak cast metal that has quite simply rotted and fatigued away, leaving the bridge distorted. Plus the 'nip' that stops the handle rotating past its stop has also worn seeming to allow it to become VERY adjustable!

So, yes, I can get replacement parts but it's tired in any case (worn through to the nickel/copper underplates) and it's time to replace.

I could buy another but unless they've changed them I don't want cast (white) metal.

What I have enjoyed is the (a) heft and weight and (b) adjustability.

I'm a bit out of touch with the best in the marketplace, so what would you recommend which maintains those attributes? I'm willing to get something good and would like a fabulously engineered replacement for my next 10 years...!

Thanks chaps.
I've had the Futur, Variant, Flexi, Fatboy & Slim.
Out of all of those, the only one that could replace the Futur is the Futur.
I don't think anything else feels like the Futur! (even though I haven't tried others except the above mentioned!)
It seemed in a league of it's own even though I didn't like it and quickly sold it.
But if you like it, I'd get it again! 10 years seems like a good amount of time for something
that costs less than $70.

The Razor Company has it for $63 on sale (you'll see the price reduction when you put it in the cart):

And Men's Room barber shop has it on sale for $68:

I just read you're in the UK. Bath & Unwind, 73 pounds!
I actually bought mine there when I had it and had it shipped here to the States:

Last edited:
Nipped out into the workshop and ran a mill along the edge of the bridge on the Futur to level it off. Won't last like that as it's exposed the diecast, but allow me to use it.

So, used both it and the Gillette. For me no comparison. I love the retro, look and feel of the Gillette, but the Futur has the heft at the top end to damp all vibrations and it's silky smooth on my beard (2-day growth thereof due to 'outage'...).

So, yes, a Futur again makes sense, but I'm much preferring something equivalent but better made, even accepting it's done 10 years. Call me fussy or what.

As you obviously like the Futur, why not just buy a couple more? Use one as your daily driver and keep one as a back up 👍

PS the finish on my matt version wore off over time but both my chrome and gold versions are perfect.

If you want to stay in the Merkur family I can highly recommend the Progress. I know it isn't stainless steel but I've had mine for nearly a quarter of a century and it is pristine!

Does the Progress have the white metal casting?
Don't know what you mean by white metal. The Progress has ZAMAK head and brass handle. You will not find a razor that shaves exactly like the Futur. Even the Chinese imitation by Ming Shi doesn't shave the same because of less clamping and lower weight.
If you want exactly the Futur shave it would be logical to buy another one. The drawback is with the exception of a small ring inside, the whole construction is ZAMAK and you know the rest: 9-10 years lifespan.

White metal = Mazak = cast zinc = Zamak

It’s pretty much zinc with some aluminium or copper or sometimes lead although the latter can often pollute the structure leading to failure

Top Bottom