What's new

Adjustable alternative to replace Merkur Futur?

White metal = Mazak = cast zinc = Zamak

It’s pretty much zinc with some aluminium or copper or sometimes lead although the latter can often pollute the structure leading to failure
I know what Zamak is, its contents, and the problems with its impurity. I just have never heard someone referring to it as 'white metal'.

I know what Zamak is, its contents, and the problems with its impurity. I just have never heard someone referring to it as 'white metal'.
It’s maybe a more common in the UK - used commonly for die cast models and where some manufacturers seem to need to relearn about lead impurity which was known 50 years’ ago!

It’s maybe a more common in the UK - used commonly for die cast models and where some manufacturers seem to need to relearn about lead impurity which was known 50 years’ ago!
Nevertheless, my recommendation for a long handled Progress still stays. I love both the Futur and the Progress. For me the Progress shave is a tiny notch above the Futur.

UPDATE: emailed Merkur to find out if I could get spares in UK.

Response within hour or so - on seeing a picture they came back and said most likely due to hard water and they'll send a new bridge out in the New Year.

Spectacularly good service, and I made it clear that it was 10 years old in my first email, and in my second that I was more than happy to pay after that time.

If one ever needed a reason to stick with a company...

Response within hour or so - on seeing a picture they came back and said most likely due to hard water and they'll send a new bridge out in the New Year.

Spectacularly good service, and I made it clear that it was 10 years old in my first email, and in my second that I was more than happy to pay after that time.

Impressive!

It is just your luck. Not my experience with Merkur's customer service. I bought a Matte Futur that has a spot of the chrome plating missing on the inside of the cap. First wrote to Dovo. They said to write to Merkur since their cooperation has ended (?!). The guy at Merkur wrote that this is 'normal'. That is the place where the caps are attached during the plating stages. That was 4 days ago. I replied that I have 2 mirror chrome Futurs. One of them used for 2 years, and none of them has the plating on the cap missing. No answer whatsoever....

I have a Futur, but it is not my favorite DE razor, or at least not lately. Although it's not adjustable unless you buy multiple base plates, the brass Karve Christopher Bradley has the heft you want and (somewhat obviously) is brass. I use my Futur on 4.5 and have the G safety bar base plate on my Karve.

Reactions: ewk
You're lucky. Merkur wouldn't send me anything. I needed the bridge and to cap. They quoted me $40 in parts plus shipping. Insulting. I only buy 50 year old zamak now, if it hasn't disintegrated by now, it won't... at least not in my lifetime.

Q-Shave future clone is an under $20 replacement. As you've got a Fatboy already, and prefer heavier, you could grab yourself a Gillette big boy or big fellow... the two heaviest and largest Gillette's ever made. The big boy is a little over a gram heavier than the big fellow, with the new improved head.

There's also the Parker Variant, it's brass and not Zamak/White-Metal, in addition to the suggestion Pearl Flexi, Rex Ambassador, and the like. Yaqi is also beginning to offer the Final-Cut, another Ambassador/Flexi type razor, inspired by the original Gibbs.

There's also the Parker Variant, it's brass and not Zamak/White-Metal, in addition to the suggestion Pearl Flexi, Rex Ambassador, and the like. Yaqi is also beginning to offer the Final-Cut, another Ambassador/Flexi type razor, inspired by the original Gibbs.
Parker Variant's head is not brass. It is ZAMAK. Don't fall for that 'brass handle frame' on their site. A blatant lie. Only the handle is brass. Here you can see the ZAMAK below the lost plating on the top cap. My Parker Variant .02¢ Worth Review - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-parker-variant-02-worth-review.512937/post-8834127 It is black - that is ZAMAK. If it were bass it would be yellowish.

The Rockwell 6S has multiple baseplates that lets you customize the shave. I haven't tried it but it has a number of fans. (It's not "adjustable" in a dynamic sense, though.)

If you want a heavy razor:

Merkur Futur: 128 grams

Pearl Flexi: 140 grams

The Flexi (as stated before) is fully-machined brass, triple-chrome plated. It should last forever -- probably well into the End Times.<g>

Top Bottom