ADJUSTABLE APRIL 2024

Adjustable April 07
Ryley Resilient Razor
Wizamet SI
Rubberset 400 / Manchurian Bulb
BunduBeard - Emperors Affair
Master Soap's - Louie Splash

I pulled out the Ryley Resilient.
Adjustability has never been mentioned with these, but I beileve that they were also intended to be adjustable as they have a section under the head that has notches. With the thicker vintage blades, they can be opened about a full turn, but with modern blades they run out of tension at about a third of a turn.

Their main feature is the pivoting head - which frankly I have not managed to "master".

Have an awesome Sunday everyone!

Beautiful Razor. My cousin has one of these, it was a hand me down. The crazy bit is that he uses an Electric Shaver and i don't think he's ever had a wet shave not even at a Barber. This Razor has always intrigued me with it's design and mechanism. Love it.

Good morning, skin is still not feeling as it should, but it didn't get worse and is slowly getting better. It might be a case of rosacea, but I didn't see a doc yet.

I got advice to avoid alcohol, coffee, hot, cold, wind, exertion, eggs, meat, menthol, sugar etc.

Basically, everything except nuts, some oils and cheese. And avoid everything I love. 😬

And to add to the insult, to avoid stress. But this list totally stressed me. 😆

I have a free day today and to relax I will do a 16 km trailrun today and have beer and steak afterwards.
Iridian, with a detox like that your skin is going to be glowing in a few days. Hope you enjoyed your run, the hops brew and the Steak. Feel Better soon.

Razor:1961 Fatboy
Blade: Feather
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles ‘95 Liquid Lables
Brush: Razor Emporium Synthetic

Tried a new method of lathering today from a YouTuber that I was directed to by someone not on the board. I have to admit it worked really well for me. Very enjoyable shave and holy moly those feather blades are sharp!

I would rate this shave 9/10

IMG_0342.jpeg

I've only been using Slims and Fatboys for a couple years now. I'll be using the same four blades all month -- Ben Ben, Rapira Swedish, Ladas, and Lord Rainbow. They are all in the "buttery" stage, so all the shaves will be the same, boring as all get-out but smooth, blood free, and close.

Cleanest Gibbs I've seen. Love the Pic.
Thanks @megamac
Beautiful Razor. My cousin has one of these, it was a hand me down. The crazy bit is that he uses an Electric Shaver and i don't think he's ever had a wet shave not even at a Barber. This Razor has always intrigued me with it's design and mechanism. Love it.
There was a lot of weird and wonderful "experiments" going on in the world of shaving around that time.
The floppy head on this is for want of a better word - Weird.

Adjustable April 09

Rockwell Model T in SS
Wizamet SI
Turned By Bill with a Badger Boar Mix
Wriggly Tin - Spicy Bay Rum
Master Shaves - Allura

I find this a reasonably efficient shaver that is extremely well built. I find that it's one of those razors that you can throw around your face and not worry about weepers.

I do find the Zamak version about one setting more effecient.

sotd240409.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I will have to produce a splendid photo tonight to make up for the lack of adjustable razors in my den...!

Plus an apology to my Dorco blades, seems I developed a bad skin condition and the Dorcos were just used when it became apparent. I am still wary of the Dorco Titans, the Dorco Prime, however, are perfectly fine, even good.

AA ‘24

A real nice shave this evening with the Yaqi Brass adjustable. Put in the Gillette Black Ninja on its 3rd use and it was over in two. A slight chin buff & corner work on the corners of the mouth near the stache area. Good as gold without a single incident. Solid, solid shave.

Great shaves to all…

View attachment 1826088
That Razor looks super awesome. Love the DS Brush too, picked it up during the recent sale, that color on the handle is gorgeous. Ethos Grooming essentials - learnt something new today. The reason I love this forum.

Razor:1961 Fatboy
Blade: Feather
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles ‘95 Liquid Lables
Brush: Razor Emporium Synthetic

Tried a new method of lathering today from a YouTuber that I was directed to by someone not on the board. I have to admit it worked really well for me. Very enjoyable shave and holy moly those feather blades are sharp!

I would rate this shave 9/10

View attachment 1826059
Russ622, that's an awesome Razor. The Gillette Razors never fail to surprise me even though they are decades old, You can re plate them or just clean em and they get back to work like always. How I wish the big G would just go back to manufacturing what they were known for, trusty hardcore shaving tools.

And...What's the lathering method buddy?

Adjustable April 09

Rockwell Model T in SS
Wizamet SI
Turned By Bill with a Badger Boar Mix
Wriggly Tin - Spicy Bay Rum
Master Shaves - Allura

I find this a reasonably efficient shaver that is extremely well built. I find that it's one of those razors that you can throw around your face and not worry about weepers.

I do find the Zamak version about one setting more effecient.

Clouds, I do recollect owning the 6C and the 6S, you are actually right about this. Numerous discussions and users have also highlighted this, for some reason the Zamak version is a tad bit more efficient and I would add aggressive too, just a little bit. Nice to see the T2 in SS featured.

I will have to produce a splendid photo tonight to make up for the lack of adjustable razors in my den...!

Plus an apology to my Dorco blades, seems I developed a bad skin condition and the Dorcos were just used when it became apparent. I am still wary of the Dorco Titans, the Dorco Prime, however, are perfectly fine, even good.
Mate, you have to find out what triggered it. Now, I can safely try out the Dorco Prime blades. Looking forward to your post tonight.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Mate, you have to find out what triggered it. Now, I can safely try out the Dorco Prime blades. Looking forward to your post tonight.
You better post a photo of a razor before posting anything else.
Also, I think you got executed yesterday as a spy.
For a dead person you are posting really much! :)

Thanks @megamac

There was a lot of weird and wonderful "experiments" going on in the world of shaving around that time.
The floppy head on this is for want of a better word - Weird.
That's true Buddy, I love the fact that there was a time when they were pushing the extent to which they could drive mechanisms and designs. I think Artisan Manufacturers nowadays are more angled toward traditional design with tweaks to the head as in cap, guard etc. The Three piece is King with the best adjustable still relying on Trad design.

Clouds, like my Cuz you are lucky to have a unique piece of History in your collection and the best part is unlike my younger relative, you actually use yours.

You better post a photo of a razor before posting anything else.
Also, I think you got executed yesterday as a spy.
For a dead person you are posting really much! :)
Alright Iridian, the Dead spy will post a pic of the only cheap adjustable he has later. You and me could replay the Mad Comics character now. Spy vs Spy, Ha ha ha ha ha. Talking of which I miss those comics now, specially Al Jaffee.

I thought only the guys who registered for Adjustable April were supposed to post pics of their Razors. I can be a major doofus sometimes.

Date07.04.2024
366 daily shaves
098/366

RazorBladeBrush
Eclipse Red RingDurable Sharp Titanium (7)Abe’s Brush Works Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (80)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
7/10
(DFS)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

I don’t use adjustable razors that much (practically never) and not even sure this one counts as such, but I did want to drop by and say hi!

We'll give you a pass because you made a perfect choice of razor for April 8.

Belated "Merry Eclipsemas" 😎

Last edited:
Day 9, Gillette Toggle
20240409_110450.jpeg

On day 8 I had another beautiful shave with the Rex Konsul, but I didn't make it to drop a post in good time.🙈 Today's razor needs no further introduction. What a great piece of functional art the Toggle is.
Two passes on setting 6 wtg and 4 atg returned my skin into polished marble condition. This thing loaded with a BIC Chrome Platinum shaves excellent. I'd use it more often but I always fear to drop it in my early morning shaves. There's no life before coffee - but gravitation, however, is 🙈 So basically that’s more of a razor dedicated for a Sunday shave - or if I have a day off from work, just like today.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Russ622, that's an awesome Razor. The Gillette Razors never fail to surprise me even though they are decades old, You can re plate them or just clean em and they get back to work like always. How I wish the big G would just go back to manufacturing what they were known for, trusty hardcore shaving tools.

And...What's the lathering method buddy?
Thank you, it was my first vintage purchase. The head is in great condition but the handle not so much. I thought about sending it to get re plated, but I like that it is all original.

The later method is called Precision Loading for a perfect lather. It really helped me. I will be using this method going forward all of the time.

Thank you, it was my first vintage purchase. The head is in great condition but the handle not so much. I thought about sending it to get re plated, but I like that it is all original.

The later method is called Precision Loading for a perfect lather. It really helped me. I will be using this method going forward all of the time.
I'm defy checking out the Precision Loading technique. I think it was a wise decision to stick with the original Vintage. I think it looks great as is. Like you, If the Head was in great shape, I'd be happy too.

Top Bottom