What's new

Acqua di Parma cream

This must be the most expensive cream or soap at around 60 ukp a tub. Anyone tried it. They also do super expensive brushes!

The shaving cream is excellent. You’re paying a premium for the AdP Colonia fragrance and the fact that AdP is a high-end niche perfumier. But it is worth it if you enjoy this wonderful scent, and a tub can last quite long since you only need to use a small amount.

The AdP Colonia ‘Tonico Dopobarba’ aftershave lotion is exceptionally good. The scent lasts a long time without being offensively strong and the lotion makes my skin feels wonderful. I think it’s the best aftershave I’ve used.

I do have one of their brushes. It’s very overpriced and the knot is quite floppy. But it is a beautiful thing to stand in your bathroom. I’d sugest not to buy the brush unless you later decide you use the cream and fragrances so much that you absolutely need to have the set sitting there.

It’s good. Very good.

IMG_8695.jpeg

Acqua di Parma has an interesting history. Their Colonia was launched in 1916 (though I’d say the scent still feels contemporary today) and they made only this product from their small factory in Parma, Italy until the brand was bought out in 1993 by a group of private investors led by Luca di Montezemolo (ex-CEO of Ferrari). Under the new leadership the company expanded its product line and developed into a luxury brand with stores worldwide.

AdP was sold to LVMH in 2001 and remains part of the LVMH group alongside brands like Louis Vuitton, Bulgari, Moet & Chandon, Dom Perignon, Veuve Cliquot, Dior, Fendi, Loewe, Tag Heuer, Hublot, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Tiffany & Co, and many more. It is the most valuable company in Europe.

Apparently AdP Colonia enjoyed extreme popularity in high society in the 1930s. It was also the perfume of choice for Cary Grant, David Niven, Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn (the world’s most famous Belgian), Ava Gardner, Isabella Rossellini.

For me AdP Colonia is the best smell in the world.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The v1 and v3 versions are Colonia scented. The v2 version had an aquatic scent.

The v2 aquatic scent was apparently the result of some folks having sensitivity to the Colonia scent. But no one, including me, would buy that aquatic scent at Colonia prices, so it died.

The v1 and v3 versions are Colonia scented. The v2 version had an aquatic scent.

The v2 aquatic scent was apparently the result of some folks having sensitivity to the Colonia scent. But no one, including me, would buy that aquatic scent at Colonia prices, so it died.

Thank you.

V1 being the old label with "Colonia" and V3 the current yellow tub I suppose.

I found a V2 tub through a friend abroad. The scent was identical to (The Holy Black) Caswell Massey's Newport shaving soap. I had three people corroborate, separately, my observation. I didn't know it was not the original scent and I didn't mind since Newport is my favorite scent with Caswell Massey's now-discontinued shaving soaps. It's coastal (the aquatic part), citrusy, woody and floral.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

20230607_083217[1].jpg
Thanks @Steve56, my current tub of Colonia is almost depleted and I have been concerned about replacing it with the yellow tub labeled only Barbiere.
I find the Colonia scent absolutely intoxicating, and the cream outstanding.

~doug~

I was gifted a sample of AdP years ago and liked it very much. I wasn't sure if it was still available or not.
Where in the US do you gents buy it?

Top Bottom