What's new

A year's supply of Fusions

I'd be happy to send you a stash (let's say, max. 50 cartridges) at cost (carts plus shipping) ... but after my vacation :wink2:

still going strong. i let it go for almost 3 days, so if it was going to pull at all, i would feel it.
felt fine, and i got a DFS. pretty close to a BBS. for the most part it is. theres just a couple places on my face that are hard to get into.
so for all intense and purpose, its a BBS.

They planted the seeds for "one cartridge per month" a year or two ago.

I will personally not be using one fusion cartridge per month, and the only gillette products I plan on buying are vintage razors.

"Up to five weeks"

legal wizardry!

Last edited by a moderator:
i found blades at a salvation army in a slightly damaged box for a few dollars. i love finding stuff at second hand stores, and useing them for other things than what they were meant for. i.e. shave stuff..:wink2:

permission to cease and desist? i started with an "almost" new blade and have used it exclusively for this challenge. (without the denim strop technique) i am still getting decent shaves. im just getting bored. i miss my straights.

I'm starting to wonder if they've changed them somehow. When I was in my late teens (I'm 26 now) I could barely get 1 shave from a fusion. By the end of the first shave with a new cartridge, it'd be chewing up my neck. If I tried a 2nd shave, it would scrape my face up, so it would get tossed. I started growing a beard and using only beard clippers as I got into my 20s, and about a half a year ago maybe I found DEs.

I don't think cartridges would last as long or give me as smooth a shave as I get now. Sometimes I am tempted though, since warehouse stores sell big packs for less than regular stores...would still be more expensive than DEs.

Now that I'm shaving just about every day, one Fusion cartridge wouldn't last me a month. But I suppose if you did one pass (as many do) you might get close.

Truth is, the Fusion carts lasted me far longer than any other cart to date (and longer than any one DE blade to date as well).

Never will they last a year.

Not for you, apparently and probably not for me. But I guarantee you, my father (if he were still alive) might get TWO years out of 12 carts.He would sometime shave with a disposable for several months--even though it looked rusty to me.

I could get a month out of just about any blade using lather and shaving as most do. Going atg with the lather rinsed off and using pressure? No.

Most people think if they cannot see whiskers on their face then the shave was a success. If I cannot feel stubble with my fingers then that is success to me.

For the masses that do not care about close shaves a cart blade is the right choice. Quick and easy.

I did the Fusion 5 week test last year using what came in the holiday pack,a Fusion razor,Fusion Thermal Face Scrub,Fusion Shave Cream,and Fusion Cooling Balm.The Fusion did last 5 weeks,but the last 2 shaves were pretty rough.The face scrub worked great,the shave gel worked ok if used sparingly on a moist face,and the cooling balm actually soothed the face pretty good (after running 5 blades across the skin,it better)Going against the grain for a 5 weeks caused me some ingrowns and irritation,I don't recommend it.And this was shaving every day.The system works ok,but saw that my face cleared up after going back to my DE.But everyone's beard is different.My facial hair isn't very thick and wire like yet (even though I am 40)so even though I barely got 5 weeks of decent shaves,another person with a thicker beard may get much less.But I can't see myself spending over $40 on a years worth of shaves when I can get a 100 pack of Astras for $10 that will last me over a year.

I usually shave with a Schick or PAL injector, but recently I have been enjoying the smooth, comfortable and BBS shaves from the Fusion Proglide. I'm hooked! By using wet-shaving technique, I can't deny it's giving me the best shaves I ever had.

Alas, I am the guy they are talking about when they claim a year of shaves. I have a reall light beard that softens well with almost any cream, gel or just soap. I first heard about DE shaving on a frugality blog. Before the blog started promoting the DE stuff they had tips about prolonging your cartridge razors and reducing other costs. I learned to swizzle my carts around in a jar of rubbing alcohol after each use and how to strop it on an old canvas covered hardback book. I could wear out the plastic of my cartridge before the blades would get uncomfortably dull. This was around 5-6 weeks of daily shaving. This blog is what prompted me to get my first puck of Williams shaving soap and a 7 dollar VDH brush. I still have the brush and it is one of my favorites.

BTW I coupon and I used to get cartridge razors for around a buck a piece. If I was able to match mfg. coupons with store sales and, "bonus bucks" it was easy. The waste was kind of hard to stomach because most of these deals are there to get you to buy the handle and be stuck using their carts, so I threw out many a new handle. I have 40 tubes of Colegate toothpaste that I paid just over three bucks for by doing things like this.

I DE shave for the history, craftsmanship, and for the fraternity of this site. I like the fact that my razor might be around long after I am gone and my blades have rusted back into minerals within months of hitting the landfill or recycler. Also part of being frugal means buying a quality item once, learning to use it optimally and then caring for it and passing it on.

Do Fusion blades really even last for an entire shave?

When I shaved my Mom's head prior to the start of her Chemo, I used a Fusion. I had never used one before but one of my brothers had brought it along with several others to try. I felt like I was ripping her scalp off, this was a brand new blade. I switched to a Mach 3 and that seemed okay, then down to a single blade of some sort. Maybe it was my technique because I surely had all the proper shave product on hand. : ) My brothers were getting the lather ready as I was shaving her. I could not get her head done with the fusion, I threw it out with about 20% of her head done.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Do Fusion blades really even last for an entire shave?

When I shaved my Mom's head prior to the start of her Chemo, I used a Fusion. I had never used one before but one of my brothers had brought it along with several others to try. I felt like I was ripping her scalp off, this was a brand new blade. I switched to a Mach 3 and that seemed okay, then down to a single blade of some sort. Maybe it was my technique because I surely had all the proper shave product on hand. : ) My brothers were getting the lather ready as I was shaving her. I could not get her head done with the fusion, I threw it out with about 20% of her head done.

I used an Axe (Schick) cartridge razor over the past week, the 3 blade kind. I noticed it was more audible than any other razor I've used. Perhaps the combination of the added pressure needed and the audible feedback made you feel that way. I know it felt that way for me, but I never experienced any irritation the entire week.

Top Bottom