What's new

A year's supply of Fusions

Back before my beard grew in quicker I would shave every other day and a cartridge would last me at least a month.

We should all put this to the test and YouTube it. Start pushing back on this crap. Have to think of a title. "One month Gillette Fusion test" or something. Given that we now know how to shave this would be a fair group to test something like this. Anyone up for Gillette challenge?

Heck no!!! My face would feel like hamburger and probably look much the same.

I saw this too. I think I said something like "what!? a year supply?! 1 cartridge per month?!" then I laughed uncontrollably and walked away.

Why not? I am sure they can make blades that keep an edge for weeks. Given their profit margins, there likely is room to use the best steels in producing the Fusion blades, and still make lots of money.

Actually it would be a clever strategy ... our cartridges are expensive, but last double as long as the competition.

Did anybody else notice that in the video posted earlier in this thread Gillette was not talking about close or good shaves but only comfortable shaves. Maybe they are engineering the blades to be comfortable for a month by moving them a little farther away from the skin and therefore sacrificing shave quality. They certainly don't talk about the quality of the shave.

Did anybody else notice that in the video posted earlier in this thread Gillette was not talking about close or good shaves but only comfortable shaves. Maybe they are engineering the blades to be comfortable for a month by moving them a little farther away from the skin and therefore sacrificing shave quality. They certainly don't talk about the quality of the shave.
If Gillette is responding to market pressures by conceding that people only need to replace the cartridges once a month, as opposed to once a week, I cannot imagine they would invest additional R&D to design cartridges specifically for that purpose. I have no doubt this is purely a change in marketing, and that the product itself has not changed as a result of the change in rhetoric.

Gillette is not raising the price of the Fusion, and at the same time is mounting a marketing campaign designed to convince customers to buy fewer replacement cartridges over a given period of time.* As such, they're conceding a loss in sales volume, presumably to stave off a greater loss resulting from customer defection to other brands or models due to perceived poor value. Given that, it does not make sense that they would invest more R&D dollars, thereby reducing profit margins as well.

* Fewer than what? Gillette touted the indicator strip as a way of knowing when to change the blade. Although sometimes the strips can lose color after single shave, most of them last anywhere from three to five shaves, so let's say they average about four shaves. The current claim of a Fusion cart lasting one month is based on a four-shaves-a-week standard, so Gillette is essentially claiming one cartridge is good for 16 shaves, or four times longer than what the indicator strips suggest. In other words, they've gone from recommending customers change the blade once a week to once a month, so instead of asking customers to buy 52 cartridges a year, they're asking customers to buy 12 - less than 25% as many.

Were a year's supply of batteries for the Fusion vibrator handle included?
Of all the innovations Gillette has foisted upon us, the vibrator handle takes the cake!

I never understood the concept of the vibrating cartridge razor. What does shaking it contribute?

I also saw a commercial for a Norelco electric where the shaver used lather. That's another head scratcher.

Why not? I am sure they can make blades that keep an edge for weeks. Given their profit margins, there likely is room to use the best steels in producing the Fusion blades, and still make lots of money.

Actually it would be a clever strategy ... our cartridges are expensive, but last double as long as the competition.

According to Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, Gillette had to contract out their stainless steel blades when the DE razor was their main offering, and their disposables and cartridges that took over later were their means of cutting the middle man out.

It actually kills me seeing my younger Soldiers wasting so much of their money on those stupid carts. If they would just get a DE razor, a 20 dollar boar brush, some of the best cream or soap for them, and the blades of their choice they could save so much money.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The last time I used a fusion, I got some very nice shaves for the first three uses. After that, they were indistiguishable from any other junk on the market. A nine cent Astra does just as good a job.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I never understood the concept of the vibrating cartridge razor. What does shaking it contribute?

I also saw a commercial for a Norelco electric where the shaver used lather. That's another head scratcher.
yup. I'd like to know this as well. I think it would just annoy me.

I saw a power fusion on a friends bathroom counter so when I came out I asked him how many shaves he gets out of it, unfortunately he had just purchased it. but he says "dude! you ever shave with a vibrating razor?!"

Well..that was the end of that conversation.

I could never get more than 3-4 shaves out of my Fusion, so no way would a 12-pack last me a year.

Also, I think the vibrating feature is just cover the sound of mowing hair down so you think you're having a close shave until you rinse your face off and go into a rage.

If Fusions are so bad, why do people keep buying them then??

I'm really stumped ... maybe I should buy a modern cartridge razor myself to see what all the fuss is all about lol
(I'm not doing it ... suppose that I like it!? :scared: )

Changing cartridges once a month would be a luxury for a lot of people. When I used only cartridge razors, I used them for way longer than a month, though I didn't shave every day.

We should all put this to the test and YouTube it. Start pushing back on this crap. Have to think of a title. "One month Gillette Fusion test" or something. Given that we now know how to shave this would be a fair group to test something like this. Anyone up for Gillette challenge?
I can do that, no problem. However, I think it should go a step further and compare it to other razors based on the number of shaves per $. Sure, I can get 16 shaves out of a Fusion. How does the 16th shave from a Fusion compare to the eighth shave from a Quattro? For the price of a Fusion cartridge, I could by enough Personna disposables or Astra DE blades to use a new one for every pass...

I used Fusions for a couple of years before I got back into DE shaving. I knew I didn't like them, but didn't realize how much I didn't like them until I switched. I would never be able to get a month out of each cart if I shaved each day. But I think part of the equation is that shaving with a cart seems more like a chore. So I know that I, personally, would skip 1-3 days between shaves because it felt like such a chore. So in that case, maybe a cart would have lasted a month.

Its funny that shaving with a cart took 5 minutes or less with canned goo and it felt like such a chore. Now my shaving routine takes about a half an hour with multiple pieces of hardware and software. Yet not only does it not feel like a chore, I actually look forward to it every day.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If Fusions are so bad, why do people keep buying them then??

For the same reason people bought the really crappy first generation CDs that came out in the 80's: the perception that there was no choice.

I just went to the supermarket, and I had a quick look. Those prices are not even funny! 22 euros or something for 4 cartridges!!

Top Bottom