What's new

A year's supply of Fusions

I'd read that Gillette was shifting their marketing emphasis toward cartridge longevity to help justify their high prices. Today, I saw concrete proof of that at Target: a jumbo-sized* 12-pack (larger than their normal 12-pack) of Fusion Pro-Glide cartridges, emblazoned with the claim that that box contained "a year's supply" of blades, all for the bargain price of $46. Needless to say, I passed.

Something I'd like to know, though: do the indicator strips that tell you when it is time for a new cartridge still wear out after three shaves?

*I'm referring to the physical size of the packaging, as opposed to the actual cartridge count.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I saw this too. I think I said something like "what!? a year supply?! 1 cartridge per month?!" then I laughed uncontrollably and walked away.

They planted the seeds for "one cartridge per month" a year or two ago.

I will personally not be using one fusion cartridge per month, and the only gillette products I plan on buying are vintage razors.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 Fusions? That would last me a month, tops.
I remember towards the end of my cart days, that aloe/gel strip thingamajig would be gone after the first shave.

Were a year's supply of batteries for the Fusion vibrator handle included?
Of all the innovations Gillette has foisted upon us, the vibrator handle takes the cake!

They planted the seeds for "one cartridge per month" a year or two ago.

I was going to point out this particular commercial also. When I saw it last year I thought, "Yeah, that seems about right..."

The thing is that before I started wet shaving I must admit that I would stretch my blades as far as possible, until it was quite apparent that the thing needed to be change.Those things are expensive... The more I did this, the more I became used to the old crappy over-used razor, hence the longer they "lasted". To people like the fine folks of this forum, we know better and know that no blade-- no matter how good it is, can last an entire month of daily use. But for the ones who do not know better, they will drink the Kool-Aid and keep stretching the blade until, "Hey, it is true, It does last a month...almost..."

I'm pretty sure I can get a month out of a Fusion cartridge, but I don't shave 7 days a week. So, yeah, 12 cartridges would probably last me a year. Of course, the change left over from a year's supply of any other blade, cartridge or disposables would pay for some fairly nice other shaving supply. I mean, 12 Fusion cartridges or a hundred Astra blades and a new Simpson brush...

Were a year's supply of batteries for the Fusion vibrator handle included?
Of all the innovations Gillette has foisted upon us, the vibrator handle takes the cake!

The vibrating razor handle was an "innovation" long before Gillette "foisted" it upon the masses.

$679697504_tp.jpg

Not to mention those scary looking plug in DE razors.

The Fusion carts do seem to last a while longer than the Mach 3 carts. I have used one in the past for about a week and half (two weeks if you maximize the usage of the single blade on the back) but a whole month is absurd. Do they realize that it is MEN shaving with these razors?

I'd read that Gillette was shifting their marketing emphasis toward cartridge longevity to help justify their high prices. Today, I saw concrete proof of that at Target: a jumbo-sized 12-pack (larger than their normal 12-pack) of Fusion Pro-Glide cartridges, emblazoned with the claim that that box contained "a year's supply" of blades, all for the bargain price of $46. Needless to say, I passed.

Something I'd like to know, though: do the indicator strips that tell you when it is time for a new cartridge still wear out after three shaves?

I laughed so hard when I read that at Target that I nearly fell over.

Did you notice the fine print? "Based on shaving four times a week".

Really now, just how many men in the US only need to shave four times a week.

:lol:

Personally it would last myself anywhere close to a year. I don't shave every, and I get 3 good shaves before I start noticing the cartridge degrade.

We should all put this to the test and YouTube it. Start pushing back on this crap. Have to think of a title. "One month Gillette Fusion test" or something. Given that we now know how to shave this would be a fair group to test something like this. Anyone up for Gillette challenge?

The only way that would last even close to a year was if every other moth had a no shave philosophy like No Shave November highlighting the awareness of some rare disease. And then convince the Health department to come out with some study that says you should only shave twice a week. Or you know I could just buy a 100 pack of DE blades that last a year for less than a 4 pack of cartridges at a Big Box store and never look back!

Top Bottom