What's new

A week with........The Henckels Rapide

Nice review :) do you know what the names of the clones are...???

Gee! A response to the OP after only 7 years. I have two cased clones, a "Ostaso" and a clone marked "The Exclusive Cutlery Shop" in San Francisco. Both appear to be clones of the Henckels Wotan. and the one from the SF shop appears to likely be made by Ostaso. The Wotan differs from the Rapide in having a removable handle and holding the blade at a slightly different angle in relation to the handle. A number of other clones are listed and pictured in Waits Safety Razor Compendium too.

Gee! A response to the OP after only 7 years. I have two cased clones, a "Ostaso" and a clone marked "The Exclusive Cutlery Shop" in San Francisco. Both appear to be clones of the Henckels Wotan. and the one from the SF shop appears to likely be made by Ostaso. The Wotan differs from the Rapide in having a removable handle and holding the blade at a slightly different angle in relation to the handle. A number of other clones are listed and pictured in Waits Safety Razor Compendium too.
Okay, never heard of those stores, but i will check it out... thx

Okay, never heard of those stores, but i will check it out... thx

Ostaso was a German maker, in Solingen as I recall. Look up Rapide in the Razor Compendium and and several other clone makers names are mentioned; Safacto, Wester and Wostenholm.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is incredibly interesting.

But Not Without Its Problems.jpg

Already it's caused me (avoidance of personal responsibility being one of my gifts) to purchase the wonderful downloadable version of the Razor Compendium.

Assuming all of these various versions of the razor are worthy of purchase, and shave-worthy, etc. (and correct me, please, if they are not), I have a question or two.

Which of all these models works best with a modern GEM blade?

Which would you buy if you wanted one to shave with?

Thanks for all this great and interesting information.

Happy days,

Jim

My personal favorite is the Safacto. I use either Pal or Blue Star blades. It shaves nearly as close as a straight razor. Other favorites include the 1904 Gem and the 1906 Ever Ready (second version of that year).

This is incredibly interesting.

View attachment 840788

Already it's caused me (avoidance of personal responsibility being one of my gifts) to purchase the wonderful downloadable version of the Razor Compendium.

Assuming all of these various versions of the razor are worthy of purchase, and shave-worthy, etc. (and correct me, please, if they are not), I have a question or two.

Which of all these models works best with a modern GEM blade?

Which would you buy if you wanted one to shave with?

Thanks for all this great and interesting information.

Happy days,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My personal favorite is the Safacto. I use either Pal or Blue Star blades. It shaves nearly as close as a straight razor. Other favorites include the 1904 Gem and the 1906 Ever Ready (second version of that year).

Thanks. I should have been more clear. I wasn't really asking about the GEM razors. Still, I'm interested in GEMS, too, so why not. I have several GEM razors but haven't shaved with any of them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just bought one and then i noticed in the description that it is missing the retaining clip, can this be fixed or DIY´ed...??

I have since acquired and tried a Henckel. It was excellent, but I still will stick with my Safacto. On the other hand, I have tried the very first Gem, Jr. 1905-7, pre bar. It ranks right up with the Safacto. I always use Blue Star or Pal blades.

Top Bottom