What's new

A week with........The Henckels Rapide

I should have posted this review almost a week ago, but I couldn't get the time to devote to it.

Last week (week of the 15th), I shaved with the Henckels Rapide, using a modern SE blade (GEM Ted Pella SS) instead of the wedge blade the razor was provided with.

The Henckels Rapide is a single-edge razor made by the Henckels company (Germany) that was famous for their straight razors. The Henckels straights are famous for being excellent shavers which take really nice edges. Probably feeling the tide change, with the introduction of safety razors, they introduced the Rapide, a safety that accepted wedge blades (made by Henckels). There were many of these clones made in Europe in the early part of the last century.

Here are some pics of the razor with a wedge (henckels) blade:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The wedge blade provided is essentially a piece of a straight. I say 'wedge' blade because the original blades were true wedges, but the Rapide blades were essentially hollow-ground blades. These had to be honed and stropped like any other straight. They provide excellent shaves when they're properly maintained.

I used to use the Henckels Rapide as it was designed to be used, but I'll be honest and say that the maintenance of the blade was a pain. So, when I heard from a friend that this razor could be used with a regular SE blade, I was determined to try it.

So last week I used it with a 'regular' SE blade - the GEM stainless blade (Ted Pella). These blades have the advantage that they don't need sharpening, and the edges they have are pretty sharp.

Here's what it looks like with a Ted Pella:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Rapide handle itself is a really well-designed, deeply knurled handle that fits well in the hand. The finish is superb. It is heavier than a GEM 1912 SE razor, but not by much. Blade placement is easy. You loosen the nut at the base of the head and the little wire tab at the back of the head moves off the head allowing the insertion of the blade under the spring-loaded tabs at the side of the head (very similar to a GEM lather catcher - just with better construction). The wire-tab plays a similar role to the spring-loaded tab at the back of the GEM and ER lather catcher heads. Not being spring loaded, it is much more secure, and the tension can be adjusted. The blade is never moving in this razor once it's been secured.

There is no head-cap over the blade on this razor, so the shaving angle can be almost anything you want. So, by extension, this razor can be as aggressive as you could desire. It is a very similar setup to a lather catcher, and it shaves similarly, except that the construction is more 'solid' so the shave is correspondingly more aggressive. The head design scoops and holds lather like a lather catcher does, so a long pass is possible without the necessity to rinse. The head is almost exactly the size of an SE blade, so it is very maneuverable.

You'll notice the constant use of the word 'aggressive' here - this razor is just that - aggressive! It is not a razor for a neophyte. Your prep has to be perfect or you'll pay for it. Also, your touch has to be light, or you're inviting nicks galore. While my shaves were mostly excellent from the start, it took me a couple of days before my shave was comfortable all over.

Once mastered, however, the shaves from this were smooth and close with less work than with any other safety razor I've used. After one pass my face was smooth enough for a presentable shave but, given my hair growth patterns, some ATG was necessary. My face was still mostly smooth a day later, and I shaved only because of habit.....more than because I had to.

Given all that, the care needed for a shave, and the price paid for any carelessness makes this razor one that I wouldn't use more than occasionally. I prefer the balance between a close shave and comfort that the ER Streamline affords me, with this one edging the Streamline on closeness, but losing out on the comfort factor.

Also, I'd like to point out that the razor may perform better with a smoother blade than the Ted Pella. The shave with the original wedge blade (honed by me), was a lot smoother than with the Ted Pella. So this may benefit from a Gem Blue Star, for example. I have to give that a shot. Also, the extra weight of the wedge blade gives this razor a different balance when compared to the light weight of the Ted Pella - perhaps that affects the shave as well.

So, the verdict is that this is an excellent shaver - in the right hands.

The razor can be found on Ebay for a decent price, but they generally run about $70 if they're in good repair, so it's not a cheap one to buy. The clones may be as good, but I haven't tried them all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Previously reviewed in this series:

The Classic Shaving Cobra Classic

Gillette New Improved Big Fellow

The EverReady Streamline

The Gillette NEW (modified)

My Henckles was ignored on the bay early this year - got it for around 20 bucks - and it was ferocious:scared: with a Walgreens SE blade. It now sits in my collection, I go for more tame razors like the open - comb Micromatic for single edge adventures:001_smile

(that "rebar" guard is free spinning!)

I finally got around to trying a Rapide with a Gem SS blade, and all I can say is, AWESOME!
I think this may replace the open comb micromatic as my favorite SE.

edit: ok, I KNOW this replaces the OCMM. Much easier to use under the nose than the MM.

One thing I noticed, or I should say - didn't notice, was auditory feedback. It was a lot more quiet than say, a 1912. I had to touch my face to make sure I was really cutting hairs.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this review. It took a while, but, I finally found this Rapide and it arrived today. Very handsome engineering. And it is somewhat ferocious looking, and complicated too....Well...I think I will take it slow when I use it.

The only thing fiercer than it's stunning good looks is it's shave. It will make the OCMM seem like a ***** cat. It has certainly earned my respect after delivering BBS shaves with a crisp authority. As mentioned before, not for newbies. But this chrome beauty is fantastic.

Good luck finding one reasonably priced. Bring cash and lots of it.

Edit: Thanks, MajorBurnz, for your excellent review of the Henckels . It's not a very well known razor. Your review was spot on, it's an aggressive and a very well constructed shaver.

Look at the jaws on this beast. No bent teeth here.
full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing fiercer than it's stunning good looks is it's shave. It will make the OCMM seem like a ***** cat. It has certainly earned my respect after delivering BBS shaves with a crisp authority. As mentioned before, not for newbies. But this chrome beauty is fantastic.

Good luck finding one reasonably priced. Bring cash and lots of it.

Look at the jaws on this beast. No bent teeth here.
full

full

full

WOW! Those are amazing teeth. BBS? Now I really can not wait to shave with this razor!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Those are amazing teeth. BBS? Now I really can not wait to shave with this razor!

Do it! It's a great razor. Mark_mw razor looks like a Wilkinson variation of the Rapide, with the roller comb found on the Wilkinson Empire. Interesting razor.

Last edited:
Do it! It's a great razor. Mark_mw razor looks like a Wilkinson variation of the Rapide, with the roller comb found on the Wilkinson Empire. Interesting razor.

hmm..the fotos do not show it well:blushing:, but it does say JA Henckles and has the two people on it...

He was looking at mark mw's when he said that. Mark's has the roller guard, which if Wait's is to believe, is called the Henckels Max.

and re: the Henckels clones - it bears mentioning that the Henckels is itself a clone. The original razor was patented by Ernst Scharff, and after the patent expired in 1911, was picked up by Henckels, Safacto, Wester, Wostenholm and others (according to Wait's).
I have an Ernst Scharff, and it lacks the blade stops necessary to use a standard SE blade. Also, the Henckels has the springy tabs on the sides that will accommodate either a wedge or a single edge. What the original 'Rapide' has is two solid tabs under which the wedge passes, and one set screw on each tab. I've never seen any documentation for their purpose, but they could theoretically be used to change blade exposure.

Last edited:
See you learn something new every day. Turtledrum, try your razor. It's a very well built machine!

Last edited:
He was looking at mark mw's when he said that. Mark's has the roller guard, which if Wait's is to believe, is called the Henckels Max.

Thanks for spotting this. I see that I misread. It's pretty clear when re-reading it. And thank you for the background information. Looks like I have misspelled henckels as well. Yikes.

See you learn something new every day. Turtledrum, try your razor. It's a very well built machine!
Agreed! Sometimes two things! My next shave....:wink1:

The Henckles is an awesome razor, easily the most agressive of all my razors, and my personal favorite!

How would this stack up against a Safacto? I just won one on the bay, and cannot wait to try it, both with wedge and with Blue Star.

I'm not sure about the Safacto, but I love the Rapide enough to have 3 of them! Of all the razors I've tried, it offers a truly unique and (in my opinion) unequaled quality shave. There is no razor in my arsenal, vintage or modern that gives me as close and crisp of a shave.

Enjoy your new Henckels, and we look forward to seeing some posts about it!

You are all absolutely right! It was as if I tried a safety razor for the first time. My Safacto made my favorites seem amateurish, even my Ever-Ready LC and my OCMM. I find it very hard to believe that a Streamline could do as well. My face has never been this smooth with a safety razor, in all the years in which I have shaved!

I do not have a Rapide. However, I do have a Safacto, which looks similar. First time out, the best safety razor shave i have ever gotten (with a Blue Star blade). No cuts, no irritation, just a beautiful, smooth, close, and comfortable shave. My previous favorites were Ever Ready and Gem lather catchers, as well as an OCMM. The Safacto blew them away. If you are lucky enough to find one, get it, you will be very glad.

I have this J.A. Henckels, I thought it was a Rapide but now I think it might be a Wotan...Some other pictures on the web show the same handle as mine with Wotan written on the handle as well as the box...

It has the typical shave that other SE razors give, which is great, haha. Close shave, light pressure is key (as it should always be), nice loud audible feedback as the whiskers are being cut, not heavy at all but has a nice feel, I really like the design of it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have this C.V. Heljestrand that is a great shaver, loud audible feedback as Taco said. I had a Henckels Rapide and sold it a few years ago

Attachments

• $DSC06615.jpg
    $DSC06615.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 380
I love my Safacto. If I ever find any of the other varieties listed here, you can be sure I will never sell them. It would be interesting to compare them. However, this razor has balance, weight, and destroys whiskers with no irritation. I have never come across a razor nearly as good.

I just purchased one from a certain online marketplace. I'm naming him "Fritz," although I could think of something less complimentary.

Ruthless, and requiring a very light touch, which I'm glad that I have, since my face was very easily irritated when I shaved with multi-blade nonsense.

No damage done, but, as someone else commented, more close than comfortable. Certainly not as comfortable as the 190- Ever Ready Lather Catcher that is perfectly suited for my face and stubble. Looking in the mirror, my face also looks less clear, if that makes sense, than it does with the Ever Ready.

This shave was accomplished with a modern SE blade. I want to have the wedge blades honed and see if that makes a difference.

Not a razor that I'll use every day, but one that I would like to work into my rotation. It's just amazing how it plows the stubble away

Top Bottom