What's new

A Week of Feathers

My first shave with the dreaded Feather was in my Fat Boy. I do a 3/5/7 WTG/XTG/ATG system with it for my shaves, and I kept it the same for the Feather.

I was a bit apprehensive, and the blade seemed a bit aggressive. Still, everything was going OK until I did a WTG over my Adam's Apple. Snick! Out comes the first nick. Then three more in succession on other parts of the neck. Oh no, I thought, I'm in for a week that will make those Derbys look like a plastic children's razor blade.

Well, evidence of the nick damage faded by that evening. And next day, the shave was very fine. So either I had gotten over my touch of the nerves, or the first shave had dulled out the blade enough that it didn't bother me any more. Also, possibly the first blade just came out of the Feather factory a bit sharper than its brethren.

Shaves since then have been quite good. The Feather and SuperSpeed is a very nice combo for me, SuperSpeed tames it down just enough but doesn't make it too wimpy (which is, alas, what happened when I used one of my beloved Swedish Gillettes in the SS). And my Pleese and the Feather is even nicer, assertive without being aggressive.

So, don't fear the Feather. I had a swords teacher for a short time who told me, "If you fear the blade, it will cut you." Respect the Feather, yes. These things are sharp. I think it's a good idea to save these for last in your sample pack testing, that way you have built up the muscle memory and skill in your shaving to use them properly.

Do I like these better than my previous favourite, the Swedish Gillette? I will have to go away and think about that for a future thread. But I will say I like these blades a lot. And I have a Slant on the way, perhaps one of them will find its way inside for a test run. :biggrin:

They're sharp, but after the first couple of go-rounds you adjust your technique to them. I love the Feathers - I find the Swedish Gillettes feel rather scratchy to me.

This is probably just me, but besides the Swedes and the Feahters, all the other blades I find dull. Actually, I'd like to try something even sharper than the Feather. Perhaps it will work so once I get my Slant.

I'm a convert to Feathers, and they're all I've used now for the past six or so months. IMHO, the sharpest blade I've tried.

Top Bottom