What's new

A Way to Display Your Straights....

While I'm sure the magnet does a great job and I'm very scientifically inclined, there's just something precarious about the prospect of leaving all of my straight razors dangling at the mercy of gravity :yikes: Great looking display nonetheless!

-M

Someone's afraid of the dreaded geomagnetic storms.

I think you are safe for the most part, but watch out for those pesky solar flares.:wink:

These are K&J magnets at the n50 force level.. Don't really know what that means or how they measure it, I go by the pull force ratings instead..
They can be found here...http://www.kjmagnetics.com/
I would like to suggest to anyone thinking of these to get the cubes as they are much stronger than 2 of my nibs...Also cheaper if bought in those grabags..

Thankyou,,Those are little pewter figurines I started collecting back in the D&D days..All over 20 years old. They add a little mystery to my shave corner...

That is sweet.

By the way, the reason the magnets are stronger attached to a metal is the way conductors respond to magnetic forces.

Conductors (metals, mostly) have 1 free electron between every two bonded atoms (averages differ between metals, but that's the "official" number quoted in 1st year physics texts), and as these electrons are free to travel, once placed under a magnetic field they will travel away from the north pole of the magnet or towards the south, whichever is stronger/closer. This effect polarizes the metal conductor, driving most of the free electrons to one end, leaving a positive pole at the "empty" end, and a negative at the other.

Now instead of one magnet, you have two. That means two magnetic fields, and a stronger pulling force.

The reason your magnetized razor was demagnetized is that it wasn't an actually magnetic metal to begin with. It was probably magnetized by being rubbed on a magnet (try it with a paper clip, it will retain some very weak magnetic properties for some time), and having it attached to a strong magnet re-oriented its electron distribution, which was "reset" the moment you detached it, leaving a uniform distribution, and therefore no more magnetism.

You will also magnetize a metal by using it as an electro-magnet, which is probably how the ones labelled as "electro-magnetic" were magnetized. This would be a fairly fast process at high enough currents, and leave some weak magnetic polarization in the metal.

The longer the metal is attached to the magnet, where it's kept under the constant force of the magnetic fields, it will (very slowly) start to reallign itself to reduce the stresses, much like the edge of the razor blade behaves after honing/stropping. Since this is done under a magnetic field, the alignment tends to be polarized.

It's possible that I've confused the North/South pole definitions (+/- or -/+).

Ah... I miss 1st year physics.

P.s. if you do end up using stronger magnets (particularly attached to a metal surface), and leave a single razor attached there for a very long time, be sure to be careful around areas near gold/platinum teeth :lol:

Thankyou for the very informative post quixand that explained alot...This isnt in my bathroom, its my bookshelves which are a few steps from the front door,
and thats not nunchuks thats a mace from toledo spain with a 10 lb ball with protruding spikes...and if you can see that knife hanging from the books with the skull n cross bones within the wrap, well these are there for ,,,well just in case, I dont want to use any of my straights for those things that go bump in the night...

That such a cool idea. The logic behind it says its so secure, but the visual image is as scary as they come. Wouldn't want to be a little spider crawling into that thing.

Top Bottom