What's new

A visual primer on various methods of holding a straight.

Gents

After 8 straight razor shaved, I know of two ways, I believe, to
Hold a straight. I believe there are different, more optimal, ways to hold it when shaving across the grain, both ways, against the grain (not that I’m ready) and other positions of note.

Does anyone have a visual on different ways to hold a straight?

Thanks

Theirs used to be one on the SRP Wiki. Google is your friend for that one. Personally I only use the traditional grip when going N-S and use the pinch grip (pinch tang with thumb and index finger and support the tail with middle or ring finger) when holding razor upside down and going S-N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just experiment a little .You will find what grip/hold works best .It may vary a little depending on tang design .My grip changes very minimally between different passes .The process of straight shaving will develop naturally as you muscle memory develops .Just enjoy the ride .It will just keep getting better .

This is how I hold mine for different areas.
1st is held like this to shave my right side (I'm right handed) WTG and XTG

proxy.php

This is to shave the left side of my face WTG and XTG, second photo to show clarity. It is the same as the first but the handle is flipped toward the knuckles.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one is to shave the left side of my face ATG (up)

proxy.php

Lastly this is to shave the right side of my face ATG

proxy.php

Some time ago I had a member from here come over and it really helped him to see first hand how I held it. You do not have to hold it the same way but it may give you ideas that might work for you with a little alterations.

Hope this helps.

This is how I hold mine for different areas.
1st is held like this to shave my right side (I'm right handed) WTG and XTG

proxy.php

This is to shave the left side of my face WTG and XTG, second photo to show clarity. It is the same as the first but the handle is flipped toward the knuckles.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This one is to shave the left side of my face ATG (up)

proxy.php

Lastly this is to shave the right side of my face ATG

proxy.php

Some time ago I had a member from here come over and it really helped him to see first hand how I held it. You do not have to hold it the same way but it may give you ideas that might work for you with a little alterations.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. This is genius.

I hold the razor only with my thumb and first...not 2 fingers.

Going up under the neck i do more like a pencil hold with the scales fairly straight off the tail....

In the end its how it feels comfortable when you grab the razor.....this just works for me.

Top Bottom