What's new

A Tale of 3 Boars and 3 Months…..

Great choices and I feel exactly the same about these knots and handles - the 507 isn’t comfortable for me either.

One thing I think you would also like is a Semogue 610 or 820 (or the 620 and 830 if you like a badger-esque black band on the hairs). They are super value, small and fun to use, and really nice quality handles. I think they’re the ideal boars for face lathering.

View attachment 1669297

The Zenith silvertips that you have your eye on are excellent badger brushes if you favour a soft, non-prickly knot (as I do). They are seriously good badgers by any standard, and very fairly priced. If you like a bit more backbone and some gentle prickle then their manchurian knot is the one to opt for.
Can you share any pictures of those brushes after they have bloomed and been used a few times? The Semogue I have owned end up looking kind of frayed after a while.

Can you share any pictures of those brushes after they have bloomed and been used a few times? The Semogue I have owned end up looking kind of frayed after a while.
This is one of them after a few uses. I don’t have most of my brushes with me at the moment as I’m moving house, so there’s no more recent picture.

F4F8004F-AFEC-4473-B89E-C09C6B66F2CF.jpeg

It's been a while since I started using these brushes so I thought I'd post a last update to this thread in case it's of interest and/or use to anyone. I've been using these 2 boar brushes almost exclusively for a little over a year now so thought I'd post up my conclusions - I guess each brush has over 100 shaves on their respective clocks by now and they haven't changed their characteristics for a while.

Here are the 2 brushes I've been using, alternating between shaves to let them fully dry in-between:

tempImageGROSRc.jpg

For interest, here are the specs again:

Zenith 502GIADA SE – a bleached boar in the 502 shape “jade resin” handle
Zenith 506U XSE – an unbleached boar in the 506 shape olive wood handle

Both knots are 27mm diameter and have 57 mm (bleached) and 51 mm (unbleached) knot heights according to Zenith - although you'd be forgiven in thinking this was the wrong way around given the picture above.

And my use case again - I mostly bowl lather but then continue to lather on my face with brisk back and forth strokes – I don’t just paint the lather on but equally, I don’t face lather completely.

After a year of use, do I have a preference between them? No. Both are great to use - they're just different.

The bleached knot is surprisingly slightly stiffer with more backbone but still has soft tips. It has a little more scrub than the unbleached boar which is nice sometimes if my stubble has grown a few days and is making my skin feel a little itchy. The 502 handle is great - sometimes I prefer this handle over the other, sometimes the reverse - so in reality I like the handles equally.

The unbleached knot is softer and more gentle - less scrub and backbone and slightly softer tips. It's a little more "luxurious" but with less "presence". The 506 handle is equally as enjoyable to use as the 502 despite my big hands - just a different feel and technique/hold.

Neither have scratchy tips - I think this is called scritch and is something I hate - none of that with either brush.

Both lather really well and neither hog the lather - they both release lather well.

The only downside to the wooden handle is some degradation of the varnish on the reverse side, despite meticulous care:

tempImageH5SIU2.jpg

Nevertheless, it's a great brush and I hope it will keep going for years to come. The resin handle, of course, is in the same pristine condition as the day I bought it.

Hair loss has been pretty good but both shed a hair every other shave on average.

If I had to choose and take one brush to the grave? That would be the 506 handled unbleached boar - but not by much.....

Considering the combined cost of both (£45 or thereabouts), I think they're amazing VFM.

And now that I've had a year of boar, now for some experimentation with badger - more to come (in another thread).

But of course, both boars are here to stay for as long as they last (or I last, whichever is the sooner....... :) )

Top Bottom