What's new

Stirling Zenith Boar

stirling-boar.jpg

They look nice, but aren't their lofts set too low?
Such a subjective call. Can't please everyone. I love a high loft on my boar brush. The Gentle Shave, the only supplier in the US I am aware of who sells copper handled Zenith brushes, prefers the lower loft and gets his brushes accordingly. I purchased a copper handled brush last year because I adored the copper. I ended up selling it because the knot was too short for my preference.

I wish there were a way to purchase an unassembled knot/handle combo where the buyer could set it at the loft they prefer.

I am so happy to see this Sterling Zenith offering. How I wish it were last year when I was stocking up on boar brushes!

Loft should be more than twice the diameter on a boar.

I've got a Zenith that is really well-proportioned at 26mm x 57mm loft. Another is 26mm x 64mm that seemed too tall at first, but actually works pretty well because the knot is dense.

The Gentle Shave guy has a thing for shorter lofts, for some reason. He also takes pains to point out the "effective loft" with glue bump is even shorter than the official size. It looks like Stirling is going the same way.

People are afraid their brush will be floppy, I think.

I wish there were a way to purchase an unassembled knot/handle combo where the buyer could set it at the loft they prefer.
AP Shave CO has handles and knots which you can purchase separately to set whatever loft you want. However I don't believe they sell boar knots by themselves that aren't synthetic.

Reactions: ewk
We’ll, finally got around to using my new Stirling Zenith 28mm brush for my Christmas morning shave. Not bad for first use. Bristles are a bit stiff but soft from the the bleaching. It was some what of a soap hog but I was able to get enough lather for my 4 pass shave. The handle is quite wide and not as comfortable as some of my other brushes but I can live with it. Looking forward to getting it broken in and using it more.

Top Bottom