What's new

A Shaving Brush sale

Here is my review of a knot I recieved. I put it in a muehle pinsel fake horn handle. It had pure badger hair that was too coarse and prickly for my sensitive skin (I bought it only for a stand, didn't intend to use it).
The knot from Penwork is 20mm. Here it is standing next to a vulfix 2234 (22mm knot).

proxy.php

Although the loft is higher (I could have drilled it deeper but it was too late) the brush has a lot more backbone than the vulfix. Also, if the tips on the vulfix are (from 9-10(softest)) 9, than Penworks silvertip is 8 (it will soften with use).
I got a 3.5 passes with the 20mm penworks knot, the same I get with the 22mm vulfix.
I bought this knot for soap use and I think it says it all when I say that I quit the idea of a rooney1/1 (not that its not a good brush, but I dont need it now) that I wanted to buy for soap use.
I will buy a whole brush from penworks, 24knot or bigger, if under 60 bucks and if I like the handle (the design on those cream coloured ones is great but I'd like something more light/ivoryish. I already have "horn", black and now I need a light colour:blushing:).

In Honor of 9/11 and all our men & women that serve our country.......

Here are 3- 24mm silvertip knots set in an unusual handle. This is a Polyester resin (PR) home cast by a friend, hand turned by Penchetta. Unique in that there is a seal of the Marines, Army & Navy set in the cast that is magnified br the PR.

PR is a very durable resin, but it is a little more brittle than some. SO care must be taken not to drop this on a hard surface floor or tile in the shower as it may chip if it takes a hard fall and lands wrong.

$79.00 includes shipping in the USA.

For this weeks Friday viewing, I managed to get a few new ones done.

Photo 1 - Penchetta
A large (chubby) stripped ebony handle 24mm silvertip $65.00
Spalted Tamarin 24mm silvertip $60.00
Redwood burl 20mm sivlertip $50.00
Spalted Tamarin 20mm silvertip $50.00

Photo 2 - Penchetta
white/black cream 24mm silvertip $75.00
white/black cream 20mm silvertip $65.00
white/black 24mm silvertip $75.00
white/black 20mm silvertip $65.00

Photo 3 - Penworks

20 mm Silvertip in Ebony or Faux Ivory acrylic $52.00
24 mm Silvertip in Ebony or Faux Ivory acrylic $57.00

All prices include shipping in the USA

Thanks for looking :smile:

You should get a store - these multiple item posts per day and constant sales pushes are getting a bit tiring. :rolleyes:

I actually like seeing the new and interesting brushes and handles that penworks comes up with.
I find myself looking forward to his weekly sales, hoping to catch a deal on a unique brush! :w00t:

You should get a store - these multiple item posts per day and constant sales pushes are getting a bit tiring. :rolleyes:

You may be right Joel, maybe I have beat the brushes into stubs :biggrin:
But you know, it is only one thread among 1000's here at BB. Most daily readers know what is going on in this thread, so they are going to take a look if interested or blow it off because they are not interested.

BTW- I do have a store, I just wish some BB members would stop by :smile:
Maybe when the temp drops a little and gas prices come down, I might get to meet a few.

You may be right Joel, maybe I have beat the brushes into stubs :biggrin:
But you know, it is only one thread among 1000's here at BB. Most daily readers know what is going on in this thread, so they are going to take a look if interested or blow it off because they are not interested.

BTW- I do have a store, I just wish some BB members would stop by :smile:
Maybe when the temp drops a little and gas prices come down, I might get to meet a few.

If every vendor posted in the shopping forum multiple times a day, it would quickly dissolve into an overwhelming onslaught. By repeatedly posting your items (nearly each day) you are gaining a significant amount of traffic and quite a large following. More power to you, however the shopping forum is here for vendors to offer new products, specials, etc - however it's not meant to act as a storefront or a means of consistent advertising.

Fellas here seem to enjoy your products, so they appear to have both a good value and quality proposition. Some of your designs are very cool and innovative and unlike anything else offered. At least for me however, you greatly cheapen your brand by tirelessly pushing it, when it appears you really don't need to as the products (and our members) are doing the work for you. Look at your post history.... essentially EVERY single post you've made on this forum has been in one of two categories - 1.) Getting information on the terminology/facts of shaving brushes to answer your customers questions 2.) Promoting your shaving brushes.

Personally - I think that approach is just a wee bit tacky and while you do receive lots of praise RE: your brushes, etc - we are also starting to get complaints from individuals thinking this is getting a little out of hand - and previous vendors crying foul - as we had asked them to tone it down at a much earlier point and they feel we're not being equal.

You seem to make quality products with a lot of ingenuity, soul and "custom" options - and do so at a very reasonable price and it certainly must be exciting and satisfying to see the fellas enjoying them so much.... but there's no need to push them as hard as you've been doing.

BTW - who wouldn't want one of those bad boys with silver dollar, or old coin inlaid in it similar to the army, navy marines one he did?

:smile:

If every vendor posted in the shopping forum multiple times a day, it would quickly dissolve into an overwhelming onslaught. By repeatedly posting your items (nearly each day) you are gaining a significant amount of traffic and quite a large following. More power to you, however the shopping forum is here for vendors to offer new products, specials, etc
There is a part of me that can see what you are saying. However, many of his posts are direct replies to questions that were asked and following this thread has actually done more for my understanding of brushes and knots than any other thread ever has. Where he answered the question of pure badger VS. silvertip for example. I do not know if this is how all brush makers buy it, but it was a very interesting response.

Pretty much every post where he offers new brushes for sale are unique in that the brushes are new and have not been posted before. Were it just a storefront it would loose the educational aspect and by the time I saw something that caught my eye it would likely be gone (and deleted from the site) where as this thread allows me to go back over the past examples.

Most of the "bumps" are from people asking questions or posting reviews. Perhaps a compromise of him only posting the new products once or twice a week would work- but I get the feeling that this thread would still continue on with it's daily question or comment...

I'd be interested in purchasing one of your brushes Penworks...I have a few questions though.

1) How good are the brushes with soaps...e.g. Proraso soap which is neither a cream or soap really in comparison to what others call "shave soap". I use mostly Proraso and if I purchase one of your brushes I would make it my go to brush.

2) Do you ship to the UK? :001_smile

That is all... :)

EDIT: Hmm it seems he has been made slightly unwelcome...in his own thread. :/

National, I do ship International, PM sent.

As for my brushes and soap. I seen some guys whip up some pretty big lather. I assume they are using soap. Personally, I only use cream, Art of SHaving lemon to be exact. Something I really like and have not found a need to change or experiment with others. It must be an Italian thing, anything with lemons or olive oil must be good for you. :smile:

The real issue isn't whether a vendor can post sales/bump threads in the Shopping forum - the issue is whether the forum should be used to conduct business.

In my view, specific questions - as in "Can you make a brush out of material x" should be dealt with by way of PM.

Reviews should go in the review section - and I think it would be helpful for folks to post formal reviews with pictures (if possible) of these brushes in the review section.

As for the "educational" aspect, there is way more knowledge/information in the brush forum (there are several tutorials, including one with pictures that discusses the differences between hair grades). If you skim the brush forum for 10 minutes, you'll learn more about brushes than you'll ever learn in this thread (no offence intended to Penworks - just that there's a ton of guys who have an incredible knowledge of brushes, but won't post in this thread).

As I said above, the shopping forum is intended to be a corner of B&B where vendors can post their wares, offer specials and answer the odd question - is is not intended to be a storefront or generate a lot of traffic/start to look like spam. Vendors are allowed to post in the shopping forum for free and its not too much to put some limits in place - otherwise B&B would quickly become a commercial site - to the detriment of the site and members.

In my view, specific questions - as in "Can you make a brush out of material x" should be dealt with by way of PM.

Unless that answer can apply across a broad base of materials, or be asked by numerous folks... then is it ok to answer publicly? Someone else might be thinking the same thing, and seeing the answer publicly would avoid others asking, "Hey did you ever get an answer to this one?" type of posts.

Unless that answer can apply across a broad base of materials, or be asked by numerous folks... then is it ok to answer publicly? Someone else might be thinking the same thing, and seeing the answer publicly would avoid others asking, "Hey did you ever get an answer to this one?" type of posts.

I think the best way is for folks to ask their questions of this nature by PM and the vendor can, if they think its appropriate to do so, post a general response in the thread. There's no right/wrong, its just a matter of using common sense and not abusing the forum.

But you know, it is only one thread among 1000's here at BB.

I agree -- people can ignore the thread if they like. I'm glad it's well trafficked -- the number of posts in the threat caught my eye and what I found eventually led me to purchase a penworks brush and I love it... :blushing:

I would like to offer up my final post in this thread to avoid "The great debate" :biggrin:

Just want to say thank you for those that bought my brushes and to those that looked. This thread was fun while it lasted.

I found this site in 2007 made one or two posts and got busy doing other things. Someone had bought a knot from me a little while ago and said he was going to do a review on it at BB, so I came back looking for the review. (I never saw it) But I did see the shopping area, and decided the best way to break the ice and get my brushes in the members hands was to drop my price and make a few sales and get some feedback.

Well this thread kind of snowballed and was really fun, interacting with the members. I am pretty much banned from making posts in other threads, as it seems like no matter what I would say, it would seem like me addvertising for myself. So I pretty much kept to this thread.

Anyways, I should have my new revamp web site up by the end of the month, and all my brushes will be there, for those that want to come and look and maybe buy. At that time, I will offer some kind of discount to BB members buying from that site.

So for now, Finito :wink: and thanks again. Rest assured Penchetta will be back. :001_smile

Please, anyone interested in a brush, please contact me by PM.

I agree -- people can ignore the thread if they like. I'm glad it's well trafficked -- the number of posts in the threat caught my eye and what I found eventually led me to purchase a penworks brush and I love it... :blushing:
X2

I'm a newbie here so maybe my $.02 is only worth $.005, but here it is anyway:

I find this "route" much better than the Shopping forum being clogged with older and outdated sales, discounts, freebies, coupons, etc. This way members can not only see what is for sale, but find out when the next sale is (instead of by a new thread) AND also see what Tony is capable of making by seeing all of his past items. I really think it's great that he's still going to offer B&B members discounts through his website.

Maybe he is pulling business away from other vendors here, and maybe that's what prompted the complaints, I don't know. But, well, it is business, right?

Maybe offer each vendor a paid subforum within the Shopping section? I think that'd be a win-win situation.

And Tony, thank you for the opportunity to do business with you. I got what I feel is a premium product for a great price.

X2

I'm a newbie here so maybe my $.02 is only worth $.005, but here it is anyway:

I find this "route" much better than the Shopping forum being clogged with older and outdated sales, discounts, freebies, coupons, etc. This way members can not only see what is for sale, but find out when the next sale is (instead of by a new thread) AND also see what Tony is capable of making by seeing all of his past items. I really think it's great that he's still going to offer B&B members discounts through his website.

Maybe he is pulling business away from other vendors here, and maybe that's what prompted the complaints, I don't know. But, well, it is business, right?

Maybe offer each vendor a paid subforum within the Shopping section? I think that'd be a win-win situation.

And Tony, thank you for the opportunity to do business with you. I got what I feel is a premium product for a great price.

A couple of comments:

1) The shopping forum isn't generally clogged with outdated stuff, and vendors are allowed to bump their threads/post new pictures, products, etc. So the thread is pretty current and I don't think having a lot of stale posts is a real issue.

2) Your comment about moderators asking Penworks to modify his use of the forum being done in response to complaints from other vendors who were upset at having business taken away form them is, to be blunt, insulting.

We've had complaints from general members about this issue - which is what prompted the response. The moderators do not take sides between vendors when it comes to fair competition - more vendors/more competition is better for all members.

3) We've considered creating a paid vendors' subforum, but declined to do so for a couple of reasons (i) we don't want B&B to be a commercial site and (ii) we don't want anyone to think we suport some vendors over others simply because we get advertising revenue from them. Its a policy decision that has been made by Joel and Nick, who are the ones who foot the bill for the site.

Like I said before this has nothing to do with Penworks products - its all about limiting the commercial aspect of the site.

I don't wish to take sides in this, as I see both parties have good points, I'm new here, and I have enough conflict to deal with in real life without having to seek it out online, but I like Tony's responses to an issue that the mod's have brought up. It is a conversation that could have slipped into name calling, pointing fingers, etc. but it did not, and I commend both sides. I am also pleasantly surprised that Tony will continue to offer B&B member discounts, and I will be keeping an eye out for the new web site.

*sitting back down*

Anyways, I should have my new revamp web site up by the end of the month, and all my brushes will be there, for those that want to come and look and maybe buy. At that time, I will offer some kind of discount to BB members buying from that site.

Sounds like a good solution for all involved. I look forward to seeing prices for some of those Finest brushes you promised to have soon!

Regards.

J

Top Bottom