What's new

A Sad Day - Corroded Bartmann 6/8"

I think that is cel rot. You can lay another junk razor in the scales and seal the container . It will show rust in hours or days if so. Sorry for your loss Terry.

Just fyi if you buffed those scales on a machine and they warmed up it could have started the process back when you cleaned it up. Some cleaners will also start the chemical process that causes the off gassing too.

Scott that is a good point. I am certain I cleaned it at one point before storing it away. However I clean all my razors in pretty much that same way. Of the 30 or so I have this is the only one that corroded so badly. This razor is the only one that has these faux tortoise scales so I'm thinking it might be the scales. If this is cell rot then so be it. The corrosion exists only where the scales cover the razor. It sucks there's go a couple hundred bucks down the drain.

Sorry Terry. I can't own a razor with celluloid scales because thats all I worry about the whole time is when will it start and ruin my razor...

Actually the blade may be salvageable as a basic shaver again although probably not pretty but the scales must be thrown away.

I felt the edge and it's pretty much gone in my opinion. I guess if anyone out there as similar faux tortoise scales or any celluloid scales it might be wise to invest in a new set of wood scales. I personally prefer wood, horn or even micarta scales myself.

Question-

Are celluloid scales still used by any manufacturers these days? If not, when did they quit using them??

They still make glasses out of it. I doubt anyone still does scales? There are much better plastics available now.

Top Bottom