What's new

A revelation and sincere thanks

Howdy all. I'm not exactly new, but I had an experience yesterday that renewed my sense of awe and wonder. I recently received a very generous PIF from another member that I planned on passing on to my father. Part of it was a very nice EJ86, which my father wanted to try to get back into wet shaving after 30+ years with carts. Before I gave it to him (his birthday is coming up, and it seemed like too good of an opportunity to pass), I decided I would take it for a spin so I could give him a users report. We both have very similar beards and facial structures (I've been asked if I was his younger brother before), so I figured it might be as fair a comparison as the YMMV principle allows. To, I slapped a Crystal into it and set to it. Heres the thing- I used a couple DE's when I first started shaving, but they were cheap and not very good to me. To that end, I went onto shavettes and straights and have never looked back. Until now... I was actually a bit frightened I would hack my face to ribbons, since I haven't used a DE in years, much less one of such quality. My fears were unfounded. Not one nick, weeper, or spot of irritation. The shave was so smooth and so easy, it almost felt like cheating. I'm sad to see this razor go, but I made a promise and I am a man of my word. I may, however, look into purchasing one of my own. I feel a new AD coming on... And I just got my other ones reigned in! I am excited, however, to see what my father thinks of it. When I first asked him, he was hesitant (his first DE experiences sound very similar to mine), but he warmed to the idea. Heck, he said he might even wind up going totally clean shaven. That took me a little aback. My father is 58, I'm 23, and he has had a full beard since junior high. There aren't even any pictures of him clean shaven. This will be interesting.:blink: He also dug out his old shaving brush, which he gave to me for restoration. I believe it's a Rubberset (or maybe Ever Ready) 150, cream and maroon bakelite. Thanks to Groat, he will be getting the EJ86, A bunch of blades, a Badger brush, and some assorted soaps and creams (some from my collection as well). Thanks Groat, from two generations of BadMedic's!

Last edited:
That is wonderful. It is amazing how something most people think of as a mundane chore can create common ground for family and friends. Thanks to Groat for his PIF, and thank you to Badger and Blade for fueling this insane desire to love shaving.

Top Bottom