What's new

A recent arrival in the world of soap

As a recent user of soaps like Arko and Palmolive, I'd be interested in advice.

Why didn't I like soaps before? I face-lathered them, and that worked out badly

How did your attempts turn out badly? Do you think that you were doing it incorrectly? Arko and Palmolive are great soaps for face lathering. Is there a problem with hardness in the water where you live? Are you using a decent brush?

As a recent user of soaps like Arko and Palmolive, I'd be interested in advice.

Why didn't I like soaps before? I face-lathered them, and that worked out badly
Worked out bad... as in irritated your skin?

I'd try a gentler soap and/or softer brush rather than switching to bowl lathering, personally.

Maybe you were not loading enough soap? That's fairly common. If you don't load enough, you get very thin lather that does not lubricate well. The "secret" to using soaps is to load heavy and use plenty of water to build your lather.

That was a confusing post, so sorry everybody.

I used canned products for a long time. When I tried soaps during my return to DE, they gave me a load of irritation, and I wrongly blamed that on the soaps.

It turned out to be because I had tried to rub them on, and then face-lather with a brush.

Then I did the Arko August with a home-made puck, bowl-lathered and dabbed or painted on, and found that was perfectly OK, fun even. I like Arko and Palmolive, they do the job.

I'm wondering what would be a good bet to try next. It's all YMMV, I know, but there must be products that more people like than not.

Try some Stirling soaps. They work really great for me and I love a lot of their scents. Orange Chill is my personal favorite.

That was a confusing post, so sorry everybody.

I used canned products for a long time. When I tried soaps during my return to DE, they gave me a load of irritation, and I wrongly blamed that on the soaps.

It turned out to be because I had tried to rub them on, and then face-lather with a brush.

Then I did the Arko August with a home-made puck, bowl-lathered and dabbed or painted on, and found that was perfectly OK, fun even. I like Arko and Palmolive, they do the job.

I'm wondering what would be a good bet to try next. It's all YMMV, I know, but there must be products that more people like than not.

Where are you located? US? Or EU? Depending on your answer, we may be able to recommend some soaps based on performance and availability. Also...what is most important in a soap for you? Performance? Scent? Ease of use?

Some great performing soaps/creams, generally available all over the planet, with excellent price/performance ratios and not too-polarizing fragrances (well, maybe Arko and Tabac):

Proraso
Cella
La Toja
Speick
Lucky Tiger
Arko
Tabac

Some great performing soaps/creams, generally available all over the planet, with excellent price/performance ratios and not too-polarizing fragrances (well, maybe Arko and Tabac):

Proraso
Cella
La Toja
Speick
Lucky Tiger
Arko
Tabac

+1! Add some Haslinger options to the list (great lather with mild scents)! :a29:

If you want to try one of the artisans I'm fond of Ariana & Evans, Declaration Grooming, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, Saponificio Varesino, Dr Jon's, and Moon Soap Co. I'm probably forgetting a few but those companies tend to put out scents that I like vs other artisans that don't and you can't go wrong on performance with any of them.

As you look to be in Scotland, there are a few UK based sellers. I personally like some of the Italian soaps which are readily available from UK or EU sellers.

There are a few English soaps that seem to get good reviews, but I haven't tried them.

I also have a ridiculous amount of Palmolive sticks as one of the retailers in Dublin were clearing their stock and selling them for €0.10 each. As I like Palmolive sticks I thought it would be prudent to spend €2 or so. One stick lasts for longer than you would think so I think I'm set for a few years.

Haslinger (tallow)
Barrister and Mann (Excelsior)
Ariana and Evans (Kaizen)
Cella green
Sego Lily
Proraso
Stirling

No particular order

Top Bottom