What's new

A rant about Youtubers . . . .

Just get a basic soap smelling soap like Arko, Williams or Palmolive cream they are great soaps and cheap. The scented soaps are only on your face for five minutes so what difference does a scent make anyway. Performance is the only thing that really matters and Performance doesn’t cost squat. If you want a good smell, buy an aftershave you like.
A good performing soap with an agreeable smell does add to the shaving experienc, for me at least. I tend to be a slow shaver who enjoys the few minutes of uninterrupted time solely focusing on the shave. Soap smell helps sets the stage.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hmmm... that might explain why you were on my ignore list, though for the life of me I can't remember being pissed off at you that much. Anyway, I've lifted the embargo and you are now in my good graces (atleast until I remember why in the first place).

Back on topic - I've subscribed to a few YT shavers, mostly to see products in action and to get ideas for purchases. I don't watch them so much anymore, occasionally I'll watch if I particularly enjoy their banter, most are pretty insipid though. I especially can't stand the ones with their over the top enthusiasm and appreciation for their viewers who seem to be in it just to get free stuff - the "care packages" from other viewers.
Hey @njpaddy !

I'll bet you a nickel I'm STILL on his ignore list!

And I'll betcha another nickel half of the Mods have me on their ignore list!

And I'll betcha ANOTHER nickel I'm the most ignorant, er, IGNORED person on B&B!

But I'm pretty sure @KeenDogg ain't ignoring me. We are TIGHT my friend. He's pretty jealous of my swagger...

Hmmm... that might explain why you were on my ignore list, though for the life of me I can't remember being pissed off at you that much. Anyway, I've lifted the embargo and you are now in my good graces (atleast until I remember why in the first place).

I'm ok with that, especially since we share the same birthday, albeit 64 years apart. I admit to being a bit flakly, and hope you don't take after me. It's a different world, and my attitude wouldn't get you far today.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You don't see YouTube videos with a guy shaving with a product a vendor sent him and he says, "This is awful! What a horrible shave experience!" Let's face it...that's not going to happen. I'd wager that most of them are flattered that a vendor would send them free product and they wouldn't want that pipeline shut off.

If you were a vendor and you had a choice, send it to Ron the Yes Man or Joe Always Honest...would you even bother to take a chance with Joe?

You don't see YouTube videos with a guy shaving with a product a vendor sent him and he says, "This is awful! What a horrible shave experience!" Let's face it...that's not going to happen. I'd wager that most of them are flattered that a vendor would send them free product and they wouldn't want that pipeline shut off.

If you were a vendor and you had a choice, send it to Ron the Yes Man or Joe Always Honest...would you even bother to take a chance with Joe?

No one likes to gamble when the odds are stacked against him.

What I hate about YouTube is that a lot of them have annoying music, long intro scenes that rival any Hollywood production, and about 10 minutes of useless babbling.
To the OP: I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but head over to the 3017 thread in the soap forum for what I feel is the most honest soap reviews on B&B. Members there use up soaps one at a time, from start to finish. You'll find soaps people like, and some that are almost universally reviled. There's no master list of "good" soap, and you'll do a lot of reading to learn about the soaps, but it's well worth the read.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I couldn't agree more with this thread. I too have noticed this strange phenomenon, where Youtubers say nothing but good things about every product a company releases. Then begin using their influence, to try and convince you, to buy the brand new to be released products as well.

I am actually getting into Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements products, specifically their Star Jelly aftershaves. I saw a video from a Youtuber however, and he was the typical Youtuber where he speaks like a mile a minute, nonstop, never takes a breath, almost like their on something.

No, the Youtuber wasn't quite as bad as Billy Mayes, but not far off. But he had nothing but great things to say about every single PAA product, he didn't say one bad thing. And he was the guy who was also using his position of influence, to try and manipulate the viewer, to buy into a brand new PAA just released product, that hadn't been actually reviewed yet.

And this, is why I don't trust Youtubers. You guys are right though, Youtube is great for DIY. Look up video's on how to do something, Youtube is perfect for that! Perfect example, how to align your Wahl clipper blades. But using Youtube to look up reviews on products, kind of a bad idea.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I couldn't agree more with this thread. I too have noticed this strange phenomenon, where Youtubers say nothing but good things about every product a company releases. Then begin using their influence, to try and convince you, to buy the brand new to be released products as well.

I am actually getting into Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements products, specifically their Star Jelly aftershaves. I saw a video from a Youtuber however, and he was the typical Youtuber where he speaks like a mile a minute, nonstop, never takes a breath, almost like their on something.

No, the Youtuber wasn't quite as bad as Billy Mayes, but not far off. But he had nothing but great things to say about every single PAA product, he didn't say one bad thing. And he was the guy who was also using his position of influence, to try and manipulate the viewer, to buy into a brand new PAA just released product, that hadn't been actually reviewed yet.

And this, is why I don't trust Youtubers. You guys are right though, Youtube is great for DIY. Look up video's on how to do something, Youtube is perfect for that! Perfect example, how to align your Wahl clipper blades. But using Youtube to look up reviews on products, kind of a bad idea.
I've a good idea who your speaking about his pitching that every PAA product is wonderful and marvellous has actually put me off buying any of their products. Probably my loss but I've a funny feeling he's not being that truthful. If ever feel like using their products I'll ask the gents on here first to get an honest review.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've a good idea who your speaking about his pitching that every PAA product is wonderful and marvellous has actually put me off buying any of their products. Probably my loss but I've a funny feeling he's not being that truthful. If ever feel like using their products I'll ask the gents on here first to get an honest review.

I can tell you one bad thing about PAA, they take forever to ship your stuff. I've ordered two star jelly aftershaves so far, and I'm still waiting for the shipping confirmation emails.

I was smart though, I used PayPal to make my transaction, which means I got plenty of time to get my money back if they don't ship. Their order confirmation states they they take 1 to 4 business days to process, which don't include shipping times.

That is the slowest processing time I ever heard of. Most companies, including the big ones like Amazon, only take 1 to 2 days. I'll update the forum how it all goes.

PS: Love Dead Pool. 🙂

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A much as I dislike YouTube shave channels I can see both sides of this. If you want to produce just one video a week reviewing a different razor, soap, or whatever then you have to get those products from somewhere and may only use them a single time. Were you to buy those items yourself, specifically for the video production, then you would be spending a lot of money for a huge inventory that you don't really want. So, what options are there? Buy products until you get established and have enough subscribers such that manufacturers offer you free stuff to review. If you badmouth those products then you are less likely to receive more, but if you love everything you try, even the crappiest Chinese made Global Shaving Tech ripoff, then you are accused of being a shill. Of course when the channel makes enough from advertising revenue then maybe they should again purchase their own products, but by that time any altruism has long gone and it is simply a revenue stream complete with poor quality, cheaply made, vulgar Chinese brushes, with the YouTube channel name on them. I don't blame them, but I don't watch them either.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A much as I dislike YouTube shave channels I can see both sides of this. If you want to produce just one video a week reviewing a different razor, soap, or whatever then you have to get those products from somewhere and may only use them a single time. Were you to buy those items yourself, specifically for the video production, then you would be spending a lot of money for a huge inventory that you don't really want. So, what options are there? Buy products until you get established and have enough subscribers such that manufacturers offer you free stuff to review. If you badmouth those products then you are less likely to receive more, but if you love everything you try, even the crappiest Chinese made Global Shaving Tech ripoff, then you are accused of being a shill. Of course when the channel makes enough from advertising revenue then maybe they should again purchase their own products, but by that time any altruism has long gone and it is simply a revenue stream complete with poor quality, cheaply made, vulgar Chinese brushes, with the YouTube channel name on them. I don't blame them, but I don't watch them either.
Spot on. Early on I watched the doctor. I forgot his name now and I don’t think he’s still doing videos. He used different products he seemingly bought but and covered technique. But even with him I’d notice him saying oh so and so from x company gave me this. Then I started watching other reviewers and started buying more stuff and I got more hip to the free product/ product placement of most videos. Even the “oh my best friend at company x sent me this soap to review. Oh he’s so nice and the greatest person in the world. His wife is so nice too”
My cynicism kicked in. I thought boy he’s great friends with everyone.

Of course YTbers have nothing but good things to say about products in their "reviews". They only "review" the things they like.

I think I know who too. He is pushing th PAA Irish spring dupe because of course St. Patricks day.

Huh? How do you figure that? I just turned 58 last Friday. Maybe I'm beginning to remember...

I'm sorry, you just looked younger in your avatar. Actually I mis-interpreted your join date as b-day. DUH! I stand corrected. We're only 18 years apart. Wanna trade birthdays? I'd love to be 58 again.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yip thats the one.
I agree, that is the one. Although, not the one named Neo, who followed the rabbit to meet Morpheus. :p But hmm, yeah, he's so not trustworthy. Especially, when he goes into claims how he knows the family. Its like, what? :001_huh:
I'm sorry, you just looked younger in your avatar. Actually I mis-interpreted your join date as b-day. DUH! I stand corrected. We're only 18 years apart. Wanna trade birthdays? I'd love to be 58 again.
Wait a minute, trading birthdays? This aint no stock exchange. And if you want to look younger, just use a good aftershave balm. Just don't use ice cream, it may feel good, but will only attract ants.🍦Seriously though, your not old! Heck, I still feel like a kid after all these years. I am sure your amazing, you just gotta believe it.

PAA UPDATE: I just got an email from PAA, that they shipped one of my aftershaves. Funny how that happened after making my post here. Things that make you go hmm. 🤔

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I agree, that is the one. Although, not the one named Neo, who followed the rabbit to meet Morpheus. :p But hmm, yeah, he's so not trustworthy. Especially, when he goes into claims how he knows the family. Its like, what? :001_huh:

Wait a minute, trading birthdays? This aint no stock exchange. And if you want to look younger, just use a good aftershave balm. Just don't use ice cream, it may feel good, but will only attract ants.🍦Seriously though, your not old! Heck, I still feel like a kid after all these years. I am sure your amazing, you just gotta believe it.

PAA UPDATE: I just got an email from PAA, that they shipped one of my aftershaves. Funny how that happened after making my post here. Things that make you go hmm. 🤔
Do I smell Haddock 🤔

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Do I smell Haddock 🤔

Oh goodness lol! Wouldn't it be absolutely dreadful, if PAA had a Melanogrammus aeglefinus scent? I guess if you were so popular that you had woman throwing themselves at you, all you would need do is, put on some fish scented aftershave balm, and woman would finally leave you alone. 🤣

I will be keeping an eye on if my other aftershave ships. I really should have ordered them at the same time, but you know us, we tend to be very indecisive sometimes.

Hey Dave, I didn't know other's had seen that guy on Youtube. I guess he was more popular then I thought. I don't like to mention names, both out of respect, and for not breaking any rules here. Honestly, looks like I never had to, cause you all found him just based on my description of his antics.

Ya, it just never sat right with me, when he went on and on, how every single star jelly aftershave balm from PAA sounded so amazing. I was like, really, there is not a single scent that you don't like, out of a collection of over 20 aftershaves? Hmm, something just doesn't compute. lol

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Oh goodness lol! Wouldn't it be absolutely dreadful, if PAA had a Melanogrammus aeglefinus scent? I guess if you were so popular that you had woman throwing themselves at you, all you would need do is, put on some fish scented aftershave balm, and woman would finally leave you alone. 🤣

I will be keeping an eye on if my other aftershave ships. I really should have ordered them at the same time, but you know us, we tend to be very indecisive sometimes.

Hey Dave, I didn't know other's had seen that guy on Youtube. I guess he was more popular then I thought. I don't like to mention names, both out of respect, and for not breaking any rules here. Honestly, looks like I never had to, cause you all found him just based on my description of his antics.

Ya, it just never sat right with me, when he went on and on, how every single star jelly aftershave balm from PAA sounded so amazing. I was like, really, there is not a single scent that you don't like, out of a collection of over 20 aftershaves? Hmm, something just doesn't compute. lol
I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but after about a month I was checking my feet because I thought I smelt BS everytime I was watching his channel. And wouldn't it be really strange if your other item shipped in the next 12 hours or so.

Top Bottom